“Amazing Action Sports Resort!!!”

Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Rockville, Maryland
“Amazing Action Sports Resort!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had an INCREDIBLE time at the Surf Ranch! The staff was pleasant and the service was fantastic. The food was excellent, the room was clean, and anytime we needed anything they were there to help. We rock climbed, jumped off the air pad drop, went skating in the AWESOME skate park, and swam in the refreshing pool. The staff arranged for us to go scuba diving, ziplining and rappelling, and we enjoyed attempting to surf at the beach. If you go to the Surf Ranch, you will not regret it! A great price for what you get. Thanks Travis and Lucas for a memorable experience!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest

It was great to meet the both of you, and we had a great time getting to know you. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and had an amazing time at our resort and on the activities we provide. Stay in touch, and we hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my buddy stayed & the surf ranch longer than we should have probably.:) BEST TRIP EVER Great service and friendly staff. Skate park is lots of fun after a day of surfing or visiting downtown sanjuan. Shuttles to three differentSurf spots. Stoked for SURF RANCH POPOYO! Thanks luke and Travis for makin the dream spot!

• Stayed March 2014
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest

It was great hanging out with you guys for the 20+ days that you called Surf Ranch home. Our dream spot is your dream spot anytime! Let me know when you plan on coming back.

Talk soon,

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I visited the Surf Ranch for the first time in early may during a two week trip to Nicaragua. I was happily greeted by English speaking staff who checked us in and showed us to our room. We stayed in a standard room and it was equipped with more than enough for a great stay (though I do recommend an air conditioned room for the hotter months).

The food at the resort is great and hosts an array of meals from local cuisine to North American indulgences at a fair price (breakfast was free every morning).

It wasn't long before I met with the owners Luke and Travis as they live on sight and personally greet all guests. I found out they were fellow Kelowna folk and we quickly befriended the two.

They were extremely helpful with letting us know about all the local hot spots and where to go. They hung out with us and had drinks and relaxed by the pool. On one night Travis even volunteered his truck to take us around San Juan during a Sunday Funday Pool Crawl.

I can't say enough about these two. They are the epitome of young entrepreneurs and they have their head in the game.

I highly recommend this resort to any younger individuals travelling in Nicaragua as well as families who are looking to keep their children occupied with fun daily activities.

Oh, and don't forget to say hi to Buddy the local guard dog!

Room Tip: I recommend an air conditioned room - especially for their summer months.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joel C
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest

It was great to meet you guys, especially fellow Kelownians. I am glad to hear that you had an amazing time!

We hope to see you back again soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I brought my brother and boyfriend down to the Surf Ranch for an improptu getaway at the end of April. The resort was such a great value and the staff was incredibly attentive and helpful in ensuring we had a good time. They helped with everything from arranging transport to local surf breaks, advising us on the best spots to head to while in town and ensuring everyone had boards and gear to use (though we brought some of our own as well which was fine). They guys who run the place are super cool and take safety/security very seriously so we were relaxed and at ease throughout our stay. We really enjoyed the local monkeys lingering around and met so many other fun guests to skate and surf with as well. Pool was a perfect addition in the April heat. Thank you so much Travis and Lucas! We would love to come back :)

Room Tip: I would upgrade to a Bungalow or Penthouse - well worth it for the small additional cost.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, and staying with us while on vacation in San Juan Del Sur. It was great to meet you, your boyfriend and brother, and I am very happy to hear that everyone had a great time.

Let me know when you are planning your next trip and I will get you a great deal.

All the best,

kilkenny
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and 4 friends stayed here after not being able to get rooms anywhere at last minute in San Juan del sur and thank god we did. There is an abundance of activities offered by the resort however we spent our 3 days at surf ranch basically living in the amazing clean pool!!! For most budget places offering pools in central expect a small swamp! The staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating especially the little guy at the front desk.. Can't remember his name and the owner Travis! Surf ranch has something for everyone... The lively and the lazy! I would Highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank laura3lili
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Surf Ranch as your choice of accommodation in San Juan Del Sur.

I am glad you enjoyed our pool, our team takes pride in it, and they make sure it is always crystal clear.

I will let Byron from the front desk know that you appreciate his helpfulness. He is one of our newest guys, and he is doing an amazing job!

Again, thank you for your review, and we hope to see you guys again soon.

Best regards,

Surf Ranch Action Sports Resort
San Juan Del Sur | Nicaragua
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My friend and I purchased a trip to the Surf Ranch through the Clymb last year as we'd been wanting to go on a surf trip for quite some time. I was super nervous when I found out there wasn't AC or hot water...but guess what, didn't really matter!

I think this is a good choice for Nicaragua. When you go there, you really shouldn't be expecting to stay in a secluded 5 star resort with all the latest amenities, that just isn't the vibe of the country.

I was also nervous to not stay right on the beach...but since there are so many different surf spots, it really doesn't matter. It was fun to load up the boards into the truck and try new beaches.

The best part of the experience was really getting to know the other ranchers...we all ended up getting along, surfing together, going into town together, what not.

If you go in with the right expectations, you'll really enjoy your visit!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MeljChicago
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Surf Ranch Resort, and I am really glad to hear that you had an amazing time with us.

Our room selection ranges from standard rooms and villas to deluxe condos. The standard rooms and villas currently do not have air conditioning or hot water as you mentioned, however the deluxe condos do have these features. At our resort, we like to offer a variety of selections.

Even though we are not on the beach, we are the closest resort to the main southern beaches and surf breaks. The hotels in town are located closer to the beach, however you can not surf on the main beach in town, so you must trek even further, past the Surf Ranch to get to the surf beaches.

We had an amazing time meeting you and we hope to see you back in the near future.

All the best!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My sister and I stayed at the Surf Ranch in early May for about a week. We thought it was awesome, although to be honest we might be slightly biased ;).

This is your zone if you are looking for an affordable place to stay with tons of things to do. We spent a couple mornings lounging by the pool with Buddy (the best resort dog in the whole world), before catching a shuttle to one of the beaches or in to town. It was really nice to be able to sit by the pool and relax whenever we wanted to get away from the business of the town. When we decided that we wanted to do an activity, it was as easy as going to the reception and asking. They would set everything up for us and tell us what time to be ready. We did surf lessons and zip lining which were both so much fun – I would definitely recommend (we have never really surfed before so the instructor was just kind of pushing us into the waves). As for the shuttle back from the beach, we always asked to be picked up at a certain time and they were happy to oblige so we didn’t have the same experience as some of the other reviews where there was timing issues with the shuttle. In fact while we were there we pointed out that there wasn’t a shuttle into town around dinnertime and Luke, one of the owners, changed the shuttle schedule by the next day so that there was one going in at 6 PM. We actually found that anytime we brought up an issue the owners would fix it right away. They really do care about their guest’s experience.

As for the rooms, we stayed in a budget room which had everything we needed. It didn’t have a/c, but had two fans which did the trick. We never spend any time in our room which is why we always opt for the cheapest, but the villas looked so nice I was tempted to get one for the second half of our trip! We never had any problems with the power going out – whenever it happened it seemed that the resort would run a generator – during the evenings anyways (I’m not sure if it happened during the day or at night – we didn’t notice if it did!).

We didn’t really participate much in the on-site activities except for the air bag (or ‘the blob’ as I started calling it), which was always a good time. I would also do a little of my own yoga at the upstairs bar – which was closed while we were there but was the perfect yoga spot. I watched the sunset a couple times from there which was very beautiful.

And the staff! So great! The service at the Surf Ranch is by far the best in San Juan. The food is really good too with a bit of a Nicaraguan/American blend – so you can get your burger or steak fix if you need to! It might sound weird to comment on the fries, but damn they were good ;). They also had around 4 or 5 vegetarian options that they must have added since February (one of the previous reviews mentioned a lack of veggie options). The free breakfast was also a nice touch. My sister and I have a tendency to skip meals on vacation so having the breakfast available really helped us get some food in for the day. It was the same every day, but you can add a fruit plate or other sides for cheap which helps (the fruit plate was actually quite a good value). You can also order off the menu for breakfast if you want, and the prices are quite reasonable.

To sum up I would highly recommend this place. I will definitely be back, I have to see Buddy again ;). But seriously I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: I think that the upstairs rooms in the budget building get a little hotter than the downstairs rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amanda G
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest

It was great to meet you and yes we had an awesome time as well! I know you are already planning your return trip, so let me know if you need any help planning it. Buddy also misses you and your sister already.

If I am ever in Canada anytime soon, I will be sure to visit.

Thank you.