All reviewsswim up barall inclusive packagerock wallin townfree shuttlesan juanother guestsshuttle serviceplace is beautifulowners and staffother travelerscosta ricaskatebeachessurfnicasolo
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My husband wanted to come for the skatepark but I wanted to leave as soon as I saw the food options.
Pros: Pool, Clean, Air Conditioning
Cons:
1. The owner is on site but doesn't do anything about any of the issues that arise with his paying customers. He leaves it to the staff who are untrained and speak barely any English. I think only 2 people spoke English there and they were not trained in Hotel Management
2. Poor Management. The staff is not equipt to handle any issue that goes outside the scope of training which is none.
3. Poor food options. I am vegan and the basically only had a lackluster salad option that cost $8.45. I'm sorry but a plate of salad with a sprinkle of beans, corn, and tomatoes is not going to fill me up. I wanted a side of rice but it wasn't on the menu so the waiters would just say no. I had to spend 5 minutes explaining to them that I was vegan and I couldn't eat anything else on the menu and wanted rice. Then when it came out it was literally 2 spoonfuls. Are you kidding me? The next time I ordered I said please give me a large bowl of rice to eat. So they had to put on like 5 extras of rice just to equal a good portion of rice. Then I wanted a side of fries again the same thing No. Then I again would have to spend 5 minutes explaining that I wanted fries. They would say to order a hamburger and it came with fries. I explained that I don't eat meat. Finally, after like the 5th time of repeating myself they brought me fries which was a tiny little plate and they charged me $9. Then one night they just told my husband they weren't serving salads anymore.
4. No Hot Water: I told them there was no hot water and they people at the front desk just told me that the guy who could fix it wasn't working that day. They never apologized or moved us.
5. Unequal rooms: I found out the last day that some rooms actually have hot water but they like to stick people in the rooms without any hot water even when they pay for them.
6. Laundry service people washed my laundry and then just stuffed it into my bag unfolded. Are you kidding me?

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have a nice relaxing vacation. Go into the downtown and get a place for cheaper and with better food options nearby. I was going to leave a 3-star review but when I found out the last day they had rooms with hot water I was really upset.

Room Tip: Make sure you save the picture of the room you book online because they will try to stick you in a downgraded room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Juliagulia06
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Surf Ranch over 6 days. It was great to see you guys having a good time and using the skatepark daily, so this review does come as a surprise to me. I was on site for a few days, checking on things, but this issue about the hot water was not brought to my attention. We do have a team coming in tomorrow as scheduled to look at the hot water pumps to see the issue. All rooms have hot water, air conditioning and TV's. If your unit did not have hot water, yes our reception knows to move rooms, or to send in our maintenance to fix. You mentioned they said he was off that day, so they would of need to moved you to a different room if you wanted.

Our manager Yoselyn is on site, and any issues arise, she is there to fix immediately and to make sure your vacation is worry free.

We just implemented our new menu, and yes all feedback is great, and it sounds like we need to add more vegetarian options, which we will.

Laundry, let me look into this, as when they do laundry, they need and always do fold your clothes, so let me see what happened.

I do appreciate your potential 3 star review, but remember that all rooms have hot water and yours was suppose to as well. This is at the top of our list to fix.

I do appreciate your public review, but would of been way better if you could have let me know if you have seen me on site, or our manager Yoselyn, as these issues could of been fixed within minutes.

Thank you.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Me and my friends had our first experience at this hotel for one night and two days,we stayed in one of its beautiful bungalows, The place looks cute in the photos of it website so we decided to stay and once we arrived we found that it was the same as they appear in the photos
Unfortunately we realize that it needs more cleaning and maintenance, the attention of reception and cleaning staff was good but everything was ruined when we
were attended by the guy who served the breakfasts.He was not only very unfriendly but also rude in his replies. But He was not the worst .... The pool was with an unpleasant color but we still went into it but just stayed for a few minutes because our body began to started to get itch . apparently because the rains the staff begins putting too many chemicals to repair it, (This was the explanation they gave us in reception) the chemical damages the skin and this is very dangerous for customers. I think will be better to close the pool for maintenance rather than allowing clients to get sick.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Evelyn H
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Evelyn

Thank you for your stay with us at the Surf Ranch. Your friend Yazmin, has already brought this issue up to us, and to fix the situation, we are giving you a free stay in the future. Were you able to talk to her about this?

Anyways, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I heard about the waiter, and we did talk to him. We have a brand new menu set up, and at the time you ordered, it does not allow you to change your eggs for another item. Now that they brought it to my attention, I quickly added this option, after the fact. The waiter was not rude, he is just a little shy and new. Our motto for all staff is never to say "no" to a customer, if that was the case. We always need to find a solution if possible.

Pool - Here is the deal about the pool. There was a certain chemical that we ran out of, we sent our buyer to the next town to pick it up. That day, we had 40 kids coming from the local school from 9am - 1pm, as their reward for perfect attendance. Plus the resort was full (guests). The last time, our pool technician put all the chemicals in before the kids arrived and everyone was itchy after. This time, instead of putting it in before in the morning, we waited until after the kids were out, which was during the day, and not on our usual schedule, as we do this early morning or late at night.

This was a one time situation. Rest assure.

Thank you again, but please talk to your friend about the free stay we will be giving you.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Is a small hotel, has inventory problems (usually there are always missing products like drinks, and not everything on the menu is available). I went during easter and the pool was completly dirty. Bad customer service, infrastructure is maintenance-free and sloppy

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ignacio José S
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Ignacio

Thank you for staying with us.

As you mentioned, you stayed with us during Easter. This is when all 26 rooms are booked out. The pool gets dirtier when there are hundreds of people using the pool, but I can assure you it was crystal clean the next morning.

Since Easter, we have completely renovated the resort. New menu, lower prices, I-pad ordering system, renovated the rooms, etc...

I appreciate the review, but these problems no longer exist.

I invite you to come stay with us again.

Thank you.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

This place is beautiful! Had an amazing stay at the surf ranch this month, the pool was lovley and the room was huge. Staff are friendly and the free shuttle to town is a great addition. Make sure you try the nachos they are so good! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Surf Ranch, glad you had a great time, enjoyed the pool, staff, and nachos. See you soon!

Reviewed 8 September 2017

If you call yourself a surf Ranch it would be in your best interest to have some type of board shop and instructors who speak english and can be guides. I was taken to the local hostel in town to rent a board and was disappointed. The driver had no idea what to do. Charging people just to go into town when you live off the normal roads is bad for business. We have already paid a crazy amount of money so why charge more? I know my stay wasn't the best but this place has some potential for being an amazing place. The staff were chill and very polite. The rooms were super clean and the A/C was great. Just know most people come on vacation and holiday. Have certain events set up and also tours would benefit the resort greatly.

Room Tip: Bring your own boards and plan on setting up your own travel plans.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Surf Ranch Hotels & Resorts. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay, room, staff.

It is great that you mentioned the Surfboards. 2 years ago, we had a quiver of boards, and would rent our boards through the resort. No matter how many we purchased, we had more complaints than ever, regarding that we did not have the correct size or shapes, and found most of the time we would be renting boards for our guests from Surf shops in town.

We had to make a decision, and decided it would be better for guests if we teamed up with multiple surf shops in town, to allow for a larger selection of boards for our guests.

However, we will not be changing back to having surf boards on site, as this is benefiting the local surf shops in town, and we are all for that, however, we are about to open a Surf Ranch headquarters in town, which will also allow for delivery of boards to the resort, without guests having to go and choose them before heading to the beach.

We always are growing and initiating new ideas, so this is great to hear, and I will also be talking to management to see how we can streamline this process.

Thank you again, and we look forward to your return.