All reviews all inclusive package rock wall in town free shuttle san juan other guests shuttle service place is beautiful owners and staff other travelers costa rica skate beaches surf nica solo sjds
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed one night to escape the rush of San Juan and put our feet up for some much needed rest and relaxation. Upon arrival the place was empty and we had the resort to ourselves. The shuttle picked us up from town. By shuttle I mean a beaten up old taxi who was not associated with the company. We waited at the meeting point for a significant time before the driver communicated to us that we were his passages. Perhaps a sign would assist. The shuttle was free so we didn't complain.

Food was great and room was suitable. Air conditioned and clean.

We were charged the nightly stay plus fees as expected. Upon return to our room the rate was different to that I had booked online. I returned to the desk to get this rectified. As they had charged me $10US more then what booking.com stayed. Be careful it could be easily overlooked!

Upon arrival in the room we searched for the wifi password and maybe even a menu. No sign but that's okay another walk to the front desk it was.

Upon departure we requested the shuttle pick us up at 12pm. The receptionist told us no problem and booked the shuttle. At 12pm the shuttle (different beaten up taxi) arrived and we were on our way. We left and I requested the shuttle take us to a different hotel so we could meet our friends. The driver said yes and my maps said it was the same distance away so I thought it would not be an issue.

Upon arrival at the hotel the driver said $10 we immediately assumed that there was a mistake and the driver contacted the hotel only to put me on the phone. The receptionist abruptly stated "we told you it was $5 and the driver added another $5 for a different location" at no time did the hotel state this was the case! We did not ask the hotel to call us a cab but a shuttle. The hotel were not willing to rectify this for us nor were they apologetic. We paid $10 for a shuttle(taxi) to take us 3kms. If we had of known this our friends would have most definitely picked us up or we would not have stayed out of San Juan in the first place. Also why is it that a shuttle (taxi) is free when we are coming to a hotel and spending money but not when we have already paid and are leaving. I suggest this should clearly be stated on your website. Might I note the website clearly states shuttles available to anywhere. It does not state an additional fee.

It was an extremely upsetting end our stay and had this not happened the hotel would have received closer to 4 stars. It is dissappointing that a hotel with a total of about 4 other rooms (it was a ghost town) booked that night they could not maintain and sufficient level of customer service or satisfaction.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa K
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I have been to Nicaragua twice and both times I have stayed at the Surf Ranch. The location is great, 5 minutes away from downtown so it provides a nice quiet place to relax! The rooms are nice and the air conditioning is a life saver! The staff does a great job keeping the place clean and comfortable. The food is great and the service is friendly. I would recommend the surf ranch to all travellers whether you're solo or travelling with friends and family. It's a safe and respectable environment. Thanks again for having me at the resort! It's always a pleasure!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2018

This is our favourite place to stay in San Juan Del Sur. Staff were super friendly and we were well looked after for our full 8 day stay. The pool was well kept and had a nice little swim up bar. Room was nice and comfortable as well. Location was peaceful and beautiful! Will be back next time for sure.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isaac V
Reviewed 13 March 2018

They offer lots to do here.. they have a skatepark on location, a pool, rock climbing wall. All kinds of activities to do at the hotel. Really enjoyed the food. Definitely recommend the bacon cheeseburger!! Amazing! Staff was great. Warm and welcoming. The AC in the room was much needed and worked great. Slept comfortably. Definitely recommend to anyone into sports and surf!! :)

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank megcos
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I recently had the displeasure of staying at the Surf Ranch and resort please do not stay here. If you are thinking about it then listen to this. The resort is 3 Kms from town and promised a shuttle. There shuttle was “broken” and they refused to compensate guests in any way it is at least 5 dollars one way to town. Second they claim to have a climbing wall free for their guests it is in terrifyingly bad shape with holds ready to pop off at any moment. They are unavailable to discuss issues with and are completely unhelpful. I had to leave early 2 weeks early for a death in the family. They refused me any refund and even tried to charge me for outstanding bills even though I was there on an all inclusive package. They have gone as far as firing a local Nicaraguan worker for this issue blaming him for my refusal to pay. This is the worst place to stay in San Juan do not do it.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank Philip G
lukeboychuk, Owner at Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

Philip

Thank you for staying with us. You rented a standard room, and we gave you a free upgrade for 20 nights. You were pleased and had a great time at the resort. You did leave early as you mentioned due to personal issues and understood that you would not receive any funds. You left the resort without paying a $40 bar tab, which is not the right thing to do. We let it go. But please remember by you leaving the bar tab, it has to be accounted for, so the bartender and receptionist agreed to split it, per our company policy. We now take holds so this will not happen again, customers leaving without paying.

But yes the receptionist quit the resort as he got a new job closer to his hometown. We did not fire him as you mentioned. We were sad to see him leave, but he did contact you to pay your bill so he did not have to, he contacted you after he already quit the resort, which by no means is professional or something he should be doing and we apologize on his behalf.

You had a great time and left happy, but are writing this review because you think we fired a worker because you did not pay your bill. This, frankly is not the case, so I am happy to clear it up here.

The rock wall is 50% down the new renovations, and it's looking awesome!

Thanks Phil, just please, pay your bills at hotels that you stay at. That's all we ask :)