Buena Onda Backpackers
US$123
US$117
  • Pool
La Posada Azul(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$92
  • Breakfast included
Hotelito El Coco Azul(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$46
  • Breakfast included
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort(San Juan del Sur)
US$42
US$39
  • Breakfast included
El Jardin Hotel and Restaurant(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$75
Casa Bahia Hotel(Playa Marsella)(Great Value!)
US$69
HC Liri Hotel(San Juan del Sur)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$58
Selina Maderas(Playa Maderas)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$29
Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa(San Juan del Sur)
US$257
US$220
US$469
US$394
Hotels.com
All reviewsfrench ownerteak woodrooftop kitchencomfortable big bedfree coffee in the morningprivate bathroomin townhammocks and rocking chairshelpful ownertop floorhostel dogplace is spotlessbeautiful hostelan amazing hostlaid backrooms are beautifulstayed longer
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I have been staying at this place during my trip from Guatemala down to Colombia. Thanks in great part to Baba - the amazing owner of the place - I have stayed in San Juan del Sur longer than in any other place on my trip. The place is excellent - for 10 usd/night pp you can stay in a beautiful house on a hill overlooking the bay and the village. The rooms are very clean and spacious, and there is a constant breeze - so you sleep well at night. You also can get Spanish lessons right at the place (Baba knows a great guy).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Baba is a superfriendly French guy who runs a great place, just as laid-back as his personality. The room we had was basic but brand new, clean, very spacious, elegantly decorated and amazing value for money ($10/night). Some said the upstairs rooms were even better, but we we're fine in the downstairs one. He was working on new dormrooms when we we're there, which might be done by now (as well as installing a doorbell, which he ordered especially made in France if I remember correctly :) The neighbourhood was fine, all friendly local families.
We heard about the place from some other people who recommended it and were not disappointed! Though you have walk a bit further, once you're there its well worth it! Had some great evenings drinking beers in the hammocks, and drinking mojito's in town with Baba and his girlfriend. They knew all the nice restaurants in town and Baba gave us good advice about transport, surfing lessons, which beaches to go to etc.
Would definitely stay there again when in SJDS!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank laaura274
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Baba, the owner, is superb. He keeps the hostel super clean and functional. He gave us the best suggestions for places to visit, companies to use, and even coordinated our entire day trip to Omatepe, which was a huge success. The rooms don't include much, but it's all you need! The view from the top floor is stunning both at sunrise and sunset. There is a fully stocked kitchen with all the supplies you could ever need to cook. And it's open-air! The actual hostel is situated up a little hill. It's an easy 10 minute walk to the water and the middle of town, which is great because you don't have the noise of staying in town. The neighborhood is incredibly safe and welcoming, as Baba's neighbors helped him build the hostel!
It was fun to meet and hang out with the other people hanging out in he hostel, including Baba's two loyal dogs, Scottie and Canella.
You won't find a better place at these prices! We loved every minute of our stay there and would stay there again without a doubt!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I moved here after a fellow backpacker showed me the place. I was amazed by the way the rooms looked and was very impressed with the upstairs view. I ended up staying here for a total of about nine days. I referred a couple people to this place and they all love it as well. There's not a lot of rooms, so it feels like you have the place to yourself a little bit. Baba was awesome, he knew a lot about the city and would give me advice on activities. All in all I had a great time at this place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I recently spent 11 days in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. I was forced to cancel my reservation at La Joya Eco Community (a terrible hotel in Sapoa, Nicaragua). This turned into the most fortunate experience for me! I was referred to Buena Onda Backpackers in San Juan. This is a most charming, brand new hotel with a stunning view of the bay of San Juan. The rooms were cozy, clean and well attended to. There was a meeting place on the top level of the hotel where travelers could exchange stories, have a beer or juice, cook (if you choose to) and relax in comfortable hammocks and rocking shairs. Most of the private rooms were for singles (like myself) or couples. There was one dormitory style room that could accommodate six people or more (I think). The owner, Baba, is fluent in many languages. He worked hard to please all his guests. The evening of my return to the USA I was robbed by 3 people at 2 am. Baba accompanied me to the police station and due to his efforts I recovered about $1000 of my belongings. He stayed with me until 9 am when I had to depart for the airport. His hotel is fabulous and his friendship is priceless. I would HIGHLY recommend Buena Onda Backpackers . R. Scaffidi

Room Tip: Rooms on the first level are quieter. Rooms on the top level have an incredible view. The only reason 'Sleep quality' was rated less than excellent was that there are dogs barking and roosters crowing EVERYWHERE in San Juan. This is a bit of a problem even at the more expensive hotels. No pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo