“They Care for the Community as Well as You”

Hotel Villa Isabella
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Probably the best accommodations I've ever had in C. America or Africa. If you are looking for something "Western", then this is it. I'm used to roughing it across the globe, so maybe my excitement is overly high, but this place has love to it. The owners care about the community, as evidenced through their water projects in local schools as well as their library across the street that they started for the community from scratch. If they care about the community in this way, how much more will they care for their customers?

May be out of budget for NGO workers or thrifty travelers, but it is definitely worth it if you want comfort. Definitely upscale and a great value!

BEST breakfasts, too. Always had hot coffee for guests. Don't give up the opportunity to relax in the hammocks out front or take a dip in the small pool.

Room Tip: I could faintly hear the ocean waves at night from the rooms facing the ocean, despite being a littl...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night with my husband at Villa Isabella. We had a good room with a view on the street and it was quite spacious. Some details bothered me when we first entered the place; the style and the furniture of the room are old. The matresses were very squeaky and I was expecting a bit more comfort. Also, after paying we realized that the free wifi was not available (broken for unknown period of time they say) and that we had only burning water in the shower! Not even cold water! it was horrible for my husband's sunburns...

Though, the pool on the back of the hotel was great and super clean, they had a good collection of dvds for us at night when we were bored.

Overall, it was an average experience for us. If they charged about 50-55$, we would definitely come back. But for 75$, we can have something much better in San Juan.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarock
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Well we stumbled upon Hotel Villa Isabella with our backpacks on a blistering hot June day.
Our room was big and clean and had a great sleep. Loved the pool in the shade. Breakfast was excellent. Spent the afternoon reading in the lovely rocking chairs out front. A great stay in San Juan Del Sur

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I've stayed at hotel Isabella more than 10 times in 6 years usually for about 10 days. I've gotten to know that mike makes a perfect breakfast and I never can seem to eat lunch after gorging myself on banana pancakes slathered in syrup and guava jam. Angelina will take all my stinky hiking and beach laundry and return it folded into perfect squares smelling better than my laundry does at home for a small fee. I've seriously debated how to pack Roxann into my suitcase to bring home as she not only oversees a lot of the operations but she can truly good anything and will remember you favorites even after years! She is passionate about cooking and caring and it shows

Room Tip: The front second floor has a balcony but a bit more traffic noise. Room 1 is my favorite as its nest...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank moniqueflick
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed five nights here, and I had a great experience. Mike the owner was very helpful, he truly tried his best to make sure that all of our requests were met. The staff was so helpful, As a single female traveler, I felt safe there! The breakfast was very delicious. I would definately go back to stay again! The rooms were well appointed and even with the a black out. The AC was running!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ndtwinkle
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights while in SJDS. The location was just a few blocks from main strip which is a good thing because it was a nice & quiet location. The owner, Mike was nice and helpful.

The rooms are nice, charming and clean.

Also, we met some girls during a power outage and the security guard from Villa Isabella walked them to their hotel with a flashlight to get them there safely.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Kristen750
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The beds are comfortable, the breakfasts are delicious, the coffee is always hot, and the location is convenient. Hot water showers and AC are a plus! Sitting on the veranda, watching the world go by is recommended.

Room Tip: A room away from the street might be quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo