“One of my Favorite Places”

Hotel Villa Isabella
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Those who know stay here. Mike, Jane, and Villa Isabella were among the first to provide US-level quality in San Juan del Sur, and remain one of my favorite places to stay since I started visiting in 2003. Many of the staff I met on my first stay are still there. And I've found that places that treat staff well enough to keep them also treat guests well (since it’s the staff who is taking care of you).

The rooms are clean and comfortable, breakfast is always good, and to sit on the front-porch rockers and chat with Mike is one of the best ways to learn the past and present of what's really going on in the area. Jane uses Villa Isabella as a headquarters for bringing libraries to people throughout the country (some are on wheels). The town's first lending library was right in the hotel, and Jane's mission continues delivering lasting benefit to the country.

The guests are also part of the attraction. The front porch is truly a crossroads of the world far from the beaten path, where I've met interesting people from around the world, from one of the developers of the top-selling flight simulator software, to business owners selling solar- and wind-power equipment. Surfers and scholars mix and mingle in a relaxed environment full of thoughtful touches.

Reviewed 15 January 2011

I was traveling with my wife and got sick in SJDS and decided to move from the hostel(down the block) to an air conditioned hotel. We´re so happy we chose Villa Isabella because Mike and Jane were so friendly and helpful. There were another really nice couple staying there and they helped us with the doctor and translated what the doctor said, because the doctor spoke only spanish. Villa Isabella has got a really nice and friendly vibe, good karma.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Good location, set badk a few streets from the hassle of the beach front. Fantastically helpful owners. Lovely breakfasts. Homely feel to the place. Clean, well decorated, simply but nicely furnished. Really hot water all day. Small dipping pool, but set in a nice courtyard. Plenty of places to sit out doors- balconies etc furnished with comfortable wicket furniture. Compared to other places we tried in SJDS, this represented very good VFM. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2011

- Clean rooms with air conditioning that really works
- Centrally located in town
- Very helpful staff
- Very tasty and filling breakfast, which is included in the room rate
- Nice though modest pool
- Great value for price
- Reliable, fast Internet access
- Comfy front porch with relaxing hammocks

Reviewed 18 December 2010

Disappointing and not great value for money; there are many better options in town. My room, while large, was in need of an upgrade and the bed was absurdly huge for the space. The owners (barely present during my stay) need, in my opinion, to be more hands-on to pull up their standards of service, or perhaps engage more staff as there were scarcely any evident. I found discarded (unclean...) underpants in my wardrobe, there weren't any pillow slips on my bed, there was debris (dried leaves) on the floors of the breakfast room, reception area etc, and my room wasn't cleaned until 5pm. Acceptable levels of service? I don't think so. My advice? Look elsewhere.

Reviewed 17 December 2010

My wife and I had one of the best holidays of our lives here in San Juan del Sur and will definitely be back. What really made the holiday was Villa Isabella - it was a great place to stay and the owners and staff could not have been more helpful. The breakfasts were terrific, the rooms spacious and clean and we had a very happy stay there - we were actually sorry we had to move on to somewhere else but we will return next year. Incidentally, these people are to be commended for doing excellent voluntary work in the community re literacy. EAT IN COLIBRI - WOW!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2010

With no reservations in hand, we scored a nice room in the Hotel Villa Isabella. Mike and his staff were very accommodating. The breakfast was excellent and Chef Mike's hat was the icing on the cake!

• Stayed: December 2009