“I love this place!!”

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Phoenix, Arizona
“I love this place!!”
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

Believe all the photos of this property! It is a gem. Best location, large rooms and huge patios/decks that are decorated as cool as the rooms. Truly indoor/outdoor living. The experience far exceeds the price. Great value and accommodating staff. Marion, the manager and her Team take care of all your needs. They can put a refrigerator in your room or bring you a bottle of wine from poolside. I felt like I finally got lucky when picking a property from Tripadvisor comments. We took our teenage boys. They stayed in a separate room and we rarely locked door. Trust me, we had every Apple product in tow. We walked to the way more expensive Pelican property and I wouldn't have changed hotels for anything. Alcazar is fantastic. Go!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Danibudnieski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
usa
Reviewed 22 June 2013

What a pleasant surprise. I got to town in a taxi, the driver slowed in front of the hotel, it looked ok, they had wifi, the price was under $100, and so I said fine. Well, the signal was strong, the bathroom nice, the AC cold, the TV large, and is on the "strip". I should point out that San Juan del Sur is fairly primitive. This place isn't and you don't have to pay a fortune to stay here

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank tigershark6
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2013

During my trip research, I kept coming back to Hotel Alcazar as a potential place to stay while in San Juan Del Sur. I couldn't wrap my head around how a place with such a great price ($69/night but, it's off season) could look so luxurious and enticing. It's a good thing I followed my instincts and passed on Pelican Eyes to stay with them during my time in town.

The rooms are magnificently adorned with modern furnishings. Not a single piece of particle board in the place-- real wood, real craftsmanship. The air conditioning is as cold ice. The linens are soft and clean. And the view from my balcony was stunning! I had a gorgeous view of the town, beach and the jesus statue.

Marion and the staff there are angels. They kept my keys for me during the days I attempted to surf and even went as far as waking up me to ensure I made it to my airport shuttle on my last day there.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat and urge you to book there if you're even considering it. The only downsides are the occasional construction or town noises. It's certainly not the place for you if you're thinking about sleeping in.

But don't let that deter you. It's the best way to combine comfort and luxury, while staying in town near the restaurants and action. Simply put, it's the best of both worlds (which isn't usually case in SJDS).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank magmalux
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are nice. We were there in the "off season" so rate was good. The only caution is that because of the clubs and hostals nearby, it was a bit noisy (loud music) at night. They are working on the adjacent building so there was construction noise during the day. Views from the rooms are great and it is well situated across from the beach with several good restaurants nearby. One can walk just about anywhere in that town. So overall, I found the place to be very good.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank wander2010
Naples
Reviewed 19 May 2013

After three nights at Pelican Eyes I wanted to get closer to the the city and the beach. After walking around SJDS I had already determined that the Alcazar was a great location. I stopped in and met Marion the onsite manager and she showed me a room and around the building. I was quite impressed. Amazingly clean, very comfortable beds and linens, WIFI, TV, and a well stocked and tastefully done bathroom. The most amazing thing about this room was the balcony (if you can call it that). It was almost as big as the room had a wicker couch and two chairs. A ceiling fan, curtains and a great view. Interestingly the amenities basket held ear plugs. I assumed that this was because of the location on the main strip. I was never bothered by the street noise but was tempted to use the plugs in the twilight hours when the bird started their morning ritual calls. Coffee in the morning - small but cool pool. I HIGHLY recommend The Alcazar.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kdog D
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Before going to San Juan del Sur, my friend and I scoured the internet, reading review after review looking for the perfect place to stay. We almost passed this gem up but late on a Tuesday night, an availability popped up on Expedia - $69/night! After looking at the pictures and googling the location, we booked. As soon as we got there, we were more than impressed by our room. Eco-friendly and stylish furnishings with a minimalistic sense of style. One of the very few times that reality went beyond the nice, staged pictures! It really felt like we were in a boutique hotel. A hotel like this would cost 7 times more in NYC and would be the size of the balcony alone! We were definitely lucky. The accommodations and very knowledgeable staff made our first time visit to Nicaragua a pleasant one.

Room Tip: If you have any questions about what to do (like the safety of hiking up to see El Cristo), then Ma...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank melissa m
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We checked out after a terrible stay at Casa Pelon in Marsella. We found this on Expedia for $70 and nervously booked. We were so delighted at what we found. First this hotel back home in the USA should be $250 per night. It has the best and safest location in SJDS wih amazing ocean views. The rooms are gorgeous with beautiful furnishings and remote controlled AC. The balcony has plush seating and a gorgeous fan. There is no way any hotel in SJDS measures up! The staff is very kind and helpful. They truly were thoughtful and always willing to help as well as just being plain old nice. I hope we can afford we stay when we come back because there is no way this place will continue at this great rate :)

• Stayed May 2013