“welcome stay in SJDS”

San Juan del Sur Spanish School - Day Classes
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This school was the perfect choice coming to SJDS. They hooked me up with a home stay, the family was so sweet, welcoming and showed me true nica life. It was a wonderful experience. The teachers are fun, professional and really care that you are learning. I am a nurse in the ER, and one of my teachers took his own time and prepared ER medical phrases to teach me. They make it really easy to meet other students and simply just feel comfortable and enjoy your stay. I will never forget the staff and the friends I made here. I have been to many home stays and spanish schools in other countries and there is just something special about this school. Maybe it's that they really do care about your time, but whatever they are doing, keep it up! and thanks

1  Thank kellikachalla

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Took a visa run to Nicaragua and stayed in San Juan for a week. While there I returned to Mariel, profesora de espanol, who did an excellent job of responding to the higher level of my Spanish. Hard to beat their prices. I did 15 hours for $100. One on one.
Best deal on meals is Comedor Margarita or Margaritaville(2 different signs.) Aracelli will take good care of you.
Dont miss the folklorico show on Thursdays at El Timon.
I stayed at Hotel El Encanto where the service was good and just a half a block from the plaza.
Gaspar Guadamuz, Century 21 gave me an excellent tour of properties. He is bilingual and a builder.

3  Thank eltenore
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Veronica's San Juan del Sur Spanish School was recommended to us by a previous student and we came to the school with high expectations. They were all exceeded. The personable school staff helped us improve our Spanish greatly using a wide variety of effective instructional methods. They also ensured (by accompanying us on our activities and excursions) that we got to know Nicaragua more deeply while learning vocabulary and new ways to talk about our experiences.

While the school itself was a powerful experience, we also connected strongly with our host family where our 8-year-old son immediately found a welcoming friend his same age who ensured that he was integrated into the neighborhood kids' scene and playing minutes after our arrival. We felt cared for very personally by our host family and enjoyed their humor and hospitality.

We were amazed upon our return to the United States to realize how much this experience touched us, and felt saddened to have left behind the hubbub of daily family life, the challenge of learning and speaking a different language every day, and the very different realities of Nicaragua that at times challenged us deeply but also won us over.

To address the concerns of those who may have reservations about bringing their kids, rest assured that we felt safe and secure throughout the trip and in fact the school hosted many children during our stay. Breaking from electronic devices, TV, air conditioning, and hot water will challenge most U.S. kids but is very much worth it when they can see how most of the world lives and enjoy the simpler pleasures of life like socializing, playing with simple toys, watching a pig-owner try to push a screaming sow up a staircase, surfing, seeing milk delivered fresh from the farm by cart and horse, and on and on. I highly recommend this experience but I do warn that it's going to push you (hard) out of your comfort zone at times and if you simply cannot survive 90-degree humid days without air conditioning, bear the thought of cold showers, tolerate delays and confusion, or eat rice and beans at 2-3 meals/day, it's not for you. I hope that you will take the challenge and, in particular, challenge your kids to experience a very different life.

8  Thank idmaster
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have been to what is now named Veronica's Spanish School five times. The siren call to return has proved irresistible for many reasons. The instruction is excellent and always geared exactly to what will reinforce what I have already studied and challenge me to move forward. The teachers are all dedicated, professional and welcoming. Veronica's school is, in fact, the only Spanish school in Nicaragua that has been certified to teach ESL.

I have been in many Spanish classes and learning situations. There is simply no comparison to the supportive, fun, and interesting, one on one instruction I have received at this school. I can't imagine a better way to learn Spanish than than to be immersed in the friendly atmosphere created by the school's classroom, daily trips and activities and home stays.

It is, however the connections that I feel both to the faculty and the San Juan del Sur area that is the most compelling reason for returning. Those feeling were engendered by the way the school allows students to both give and receive from the community through outreach programs such as those supporting the area's public schools and special needs citizens and free English classes for the community.

2  Thank dougmirowski
Reviewed 2 March 2013

There are many important things to do in life, and attending Victoria Castro's Spanish School must be at the top of anyone's list. You will learn Spanish with the ocean breeze flowing over you from the bay on which San Juan Sel Sur is situated.
At the centre of this bay, right on main street, is the San Jan Del Sur Spanish School. Not only do you learn Spanish one to one from qualified, cheerful, supportive and astute teachers, you experience the culture right from your chair. No matter what is happening, you can take part in it through the spanish lesson. For example, my teacher took me to visit her house. The pride she showed in her humble tiny house was humbling, she had little, wanted no more than that, and was so happy. She took me to the doctor's office, the library, the fish stand by the sea, the graveyard where her grandparents were buried, and up and down the sidewalks that were often tiled in small parts with polished ceramic tile, and in other parts were covered in uneven rocks, and in some parts just narrow paths. She brought little artifacts into the class like sea shells, leaves, and parts of beautiful dishes she had found, shared her recipes, and stories of her life which had been lived only in the town in San Juan del sur. Every afternoon, she had suggestions for things to do in the area, and even came along to a trip around the shoreline to another village and a beautiful beach. All of these experiences were aligned with learning Spanish nouns, verbs, pronouns, articles, and general vocabulary that worked together to create an understanding of the culture, communication, and a desire to know more. Homework was essential and fun because each part of speech was living right there in your surroundings.

3  Thank Marie K