“Stunning location and arrangement”

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

The "room" is a large house with a deep classy balcony and perfect 180 degree view of the bay, town and hills. We were provided with coffee and coffee maker plus a refrig. Tv good free internet plus three fans and 2 AC in the room bathroom is large and well equipped. Five minute walk to town and stairs are not that bad and well lit at night. Safe in room and it appears there is plenty of security. Pools are very modern with zero edge and clean. Quiet classy place I want to return to. I see 149 a night for 7 nights on Expedia. I paid $ 160 per night on Hotels.com for ocean view for 2. Good bed, linens etc. I think this is likely the best option in town ( you do need to be able to walk a bit)

• Stayed: January 2013
There are newer reviews for Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Rooms were very clean, view was fantastic, and most importantly the service was great! They offered a great breakfast and also had some of the best coffee we had while spending time in Nicaragua. We had a great experience overall the only downfall was that we thought it was a little overpriced.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jc D
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My husband and I stayed several nights here on recommendation of another couple who raved about it. It lived up to the expectations. The staff were friendly and lodging unique and top notch. We had dinner at the restaurant and it was delicious, but overpriced for the area. Our casita was spacious, clean and inviting. The only disappointment was the other restaurant was closed and it seemed very vacant. However, it was low season when we went. Book on Tingo.com as they had the best rates.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ReelTraveler
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Pelican Eyes is a great resort! The rooms are large and cozy. The views are awesome and the staff is friendly.
The downside.... the land. My first night there I had the luxury of tripping over a sand bar on the dusty, bumpy, rocky road, and spraining my ankle. I was able to savage my "trip" after I was able to obtain Ibuprofen and an ace bandage from the farmacia in town, but it was quite difficult to hobble around with all of the stairs (inside of the casa and on the property). The drivers were pretty good and transporting around the resort and to the front gate (but sometime they would take too long which is not good with a busted ankle).
The map they provided to show the lay out of the land, is not a very good one. You think the rooms are more spread out, but really are not. We learned a few short cuts the third day on the trip. Once again, that sucks when you have a busted ankle.

All in all if I didn't trip, I would not have complained as much. But I was a solider and I can still recognized an excellent resort. Just be prepared to walk tons of stair (which are uneven), if you are in a large party like I was, you all are closer to each other than you think (the map sucks), and be careful on the road (bumpy and uneven).

The food at the resort is more "american" priced, although not expensive to me, you can eat for a lot cheaper in town. Try the chicken skewers.... AWESOME!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have an awesome view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jasmine S
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Our group returned in November for another wonderful time. we stayed in in Casa El Faro and Brasil near the upper pools. We had 3 friends with us that were first time Pelican Eyes and San Juan del Sur visitors. They all want to come back. You relax so much at the resort, the views, grounds and sunsets are gorgeous. The staff were wonderful as always. We also brought donations for A. Jean Brugger Foundation. We are hooked, what a great feeling when you hand a student something as small as a notebook and get a smile like you would not believe. This wonderful beach town does not require a large wardrobe, carry on your clothes and pack donations for a "feel good" vacation. I was unable to travel alot in 2012 due to various reasons, but made sure Pelican Eyes was a place I returned to! Our group has not missed a year since Pelican Eyes opened in 2004!

Room Tip: Gorgeous views from upper Grounds, many stairs but think of it as a beautiful gym.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cannonballer
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Pelican Eyes was everything I hoped it would be. The staff was great and the grounds are beautiful. One of the few places I have been where its actually prettier than the pictures on thier website. The pools are gorgeous and the views of the town are amazing. Our room was very large and cozy and well equipped with a full size coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, TV and DVD player. The outside patio also had 2 rocking chairs and a little table. My favorite part of the trip was drinking coffee out there in the morning with bread we got from the bakery in town. The only part of the resort that some people might not like is all the walking. It is VERY, VERY hilly and the walk down to town and back from where we stayed (habitacíon cielo) was quite a workout. However if walking is not your thing, the hotel offers a free car service within the resort grounds and its only $5US to have them take you in to town. Overall I thought Pelican Eyes was wonderful and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank eslfoster
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We had such a wonderful time there we still reminder the finer details to this day. They made our wedding day perfect, the food was excellent, the staff were fantastic, the spa was great, and the rooms were wonderful and traditional feeling. We would stay here again in a heart beat. What they do for the community there is amazing!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple