“Bistro la canoa”

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Bistro la canoa”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Had the most amazing lunch with a view of the bay and infinity pool.. The view is like no other.. On my way out we got an unexpected tour from ground manager Moises I believe. . top notch service .. We will be back

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear,

Thank you for having taken your time to provide us with this commentary. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our resort and that you experienced our top noch service. Thank you for your kind commentary for Moises, I always appreciate hearing such positive comments about the employees. We look forward being you of service again in the future to offer you the same service you have gotten to appreciate.

General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

A big thank you to the entire Pelican Eyes team, especially the events team - Headley and Selina and general manager Gabriel! Our wedding was absolutely perfect! Our 25 guests also had a blast and appreciated all of the beautiful details - such as the lights , lanterns , white fabric decor - a stunning presentation! And everyone said it was the best food they had on their trip ! I also have to say that everyone was incredibly accommodating - for example, I did not have a full length mirror in my casa the day of the wedding. The staff located one in another casa and mounted it to my wall so I could have a large mirror to use while getting ready the day of !!! We had an amazing day !

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Shelby,

Once again thank you for your complimentary comments. I am really pleased to know that you had such an amazing day. Thank you for mentioning the events team, we are proud of them and I am content hearing that they helped in creating your perfect wedding. I will ensure our team is reminded of the outstanding job they are doing. We hope you will always keep wonderful memories of us. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel was beautiful, comfortable and relaxing. It is a bit far from the beach and any other food options, but the hotel itself is enough to spend a few days relaxing in the Infiniti pool, short hikes and playing with monkeys! The restaurant was good food, but you can get better food for a fraction of the price in town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear,

Thank you for having taken your time to provide us with this commentary. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that experienced the comfort, beauty of the resort and that you had a relaxing experience. Thanks again for having given us this feedback. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2014

So we my husband and I spent 3 days at Pelican Eyes from Jan 21st till 24th and we loved it. Here is a list some of the pros and cons

Pros:
great rate that we got from hotels.com. It was basically $160ish with taxes/ night. Everywhere else was much more expensive and it was gorgeous. The views alone are worth it. We had family stay at 2 other houses and each house had an amazing view of the sunset.

We were given a casita (little house) ours was Casita Faro and it had a full kitchen/ with utensils and everything. We went to the supermarket right outside of San Juan and loaded up on sodas/ waters/ beers as well as breakfast foods. Generally we ate in town for our big lunches and then ate something small for dinner.

Cons:
As you probably already read, there are a lot of stairs. I have no problem with that except for if you are out at night and you can't see the stairs in some sections as the lighting did not work. I would suggest bringing your own flashlight.

Room service was incredibly expensive. They give you a menu with prices though the menu neglects that the price listed is for when you eat at one of the restaurants. If you order food, there is an $8 charge and then the food itself is double.

I know you probably can't help it (the hotel is basically in the jungle) but there were ants in the room- and honestly I'll take ants over any other insect. Yes, you will have little lizards also hanging out in your little home- but that's normal and that did not bother me.

only other con I can list is that SJDS was actually dead at night- though that is not Pelican Eye's fault. When we went for the 3 days in January, the restaurants in town were basically closed by 10-11pm. Again, we did go during the week but I was expecting a little more excitement.

Room Tip: don't loose your towel card- if you do then you will be charged $25.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear,

First and foremost thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I would like to say that I am pleased hearing that you and your husband had a pleasant 3 days stay at Pelican Eyes. Thank you for having provided us with this feedback, we will take your comments into account and we will see what we can do to further improve our services offered. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My wife and I spent the last four nights of our honeymoon at Pelican Eyes, and it exceeded every expectation. The food is great, the service is amazing, the staff is incredibly nice and accommodating.

On our first night there, we learned that one of the former presidents of the US and his family were also there on a vacation. And that night we had dinner one table over from the president. (He seemed to love it as well.)

The view from each of the three infinity pools is amazing. And our hotel room overlooked the marina/harbor of San Juan del Sur, so we were treated to an amazing fireworks show on new years eve.

The hotel is is a very short walk to the center of town and only a few more blocks to the waterfront. It is a spectacular destination for anyone wanting to enjoy San Juan del Sur (which is a developing beach town - of sorts) while still enjoying luxury and relaxation.

Room Tip: We were in the Cabana Brazil (which had an amazing view - and was giant)
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shawn244
Dear,

First of all thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am glad to hear you had an extraordinary stay, which exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your complementary comments on the food, service and staff. I always appreciate hearing how nice and accommodating the staff was. I can only add that we look forward being you of service again in the future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I were married in Costa Rica and on our way to travel Nicaragua, this was our first stop (I had a great Groupon rate). I mentioned that it would be our honeymoon and I feel they actually read my email because I feel we had the BEST room on the resort. It was the top floor of Aguas Azules and it had the most spectacular view of the town and bay! It below our minds the second we walked in which was perfect timing to enjoy a beer from the mini bar (affordable compared to the North American mini bars we're used to) and the sunset. The only downside was that there were no curtains for the windows/doors that were the entire wall facing the ocean. Everything else about the room was great - spacious and a comfy bed too!

Yes, there are a lot of stairs but we were told any time we wanted a ride to the reception area to just call. The only time we utilized this service was the initial ride to our room and when we were leaving as both times we had our luggage with us. Other than that, we just walked and got over the stairs. The resort sits on the hillside looking over the town but you can be in the middle of town in 5 minutes (from the reception area) by walking.

We made one trek up to the family pool area and it was another great view of the town/bay. The staff by the bar up there were very quick/attentive with our beverage needs.
We had a free dinner on the first night, and the food was great. My husband has the ceviche salad to start and I wanted to make him trade me appies.

The staff all over this resort were great and friendly.

Room Tip: Take a look at their resort map on their website and pick something in the middle/lower area. If you...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SwissMissCoco
Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am happy to hear that you had such a wonderful honeymoon at Pelican Eyes and I hope that it was everything that you expected it to be. I really appreciate your compliments on our staff. We look forward being you of service again in the future.

Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Let me start off by saying we got a deal on Groupon, so payed quite a bit less than normal. That made this place a great value, but it really is lovely for any price. The room was fabulous. Very big and impeccably outfitted. High quality digs for sure. The pools were nice, and the bar was plush. The prices for food and drink are kind of absurd by local standards, but fair by international resort standards. We had great chicken wings, a very good ceviche, and a horrible caesar salad. Mostly though we just walked into town and had great eats and drinks for a fraction of the price. Important tip, if you want to do that easily make sure you get a room down near the bottom of the resort, where its a pretty easy walk to town, and not up at the top where you will be wiped out by the time you return to your room. We had cabina Jasmine, which was perfectly situated right at the bottom, but still had a beautiful view of the bay and town from the private patio.

Room Tip: Stay lower down for easier access to town.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank doronamiran
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear,

Thank you for having taken the time to write this review. I am pleased hearing you enjoyed staying at Pelican Eyes. It is always nice to hear guests being giving praising comments. Looking forward being you of service again in one of our ‘high quality digs’ and ‘plush bar’.