“Great service, beautiful views”

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here in March of 2014. The staff is very nice and accommodated us as to room location. We would not have been able to stay if they did not help us. The view from any of the pools is beautiful. We ate almost all our meals by the pool and the food was delicious- I have been trying to recreate the Chimichurri sauce since we got home! Rooms were good size with very good water pressure. Any questions, please contact me I would be happy to answer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flycatcher06

Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you are looking for relaxing accommodations and some pampering I would highly recommend Pelican Eyes. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated with exceptional service. The accommodations were lovely! Our townhouse had two balconies with breath taking ocean views of San Juan Del Sur. The food and drinks were delicious, the pool was stunning, and the aroma therapy massage was the icing on the cake. All I can say is I wish I would have stayed longer. Cheers to the staff at Pelican Eyes! I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CapitolaSuites
Reviewed 14 April 2014

If you are looking for the hotel with the best view in SJDS, Pelican Eyes is it. A resort set on a hill side, it has a commanding view of the bay and of the nightly sunsets that just seemed to get better with each day. The atmosphere is charming in that though it is classified as a resort, it has more of a feel of a boutique resort than the larger, all-inclusive chain resorts (which you won't find in Nicaragua). The accommodation has a very tropical feel, with beautiful wooden furniture made locally, the rocking chairs being an especial favourite of the group I travelled with. With three infinity pools with bar service, the upper pool is the place to be at sunset.

Be forewarned, if you have any walking disabilities, this is not the resort for you. Being on a hill and quite a large resort, you either have to be willing to include hiking up and down the property as part of your daily routine or be prepared to wait on the ground transportation as one dissatisfied customer testified having to do. Having read the reviews, I made sure to book a casa as close to the lower and main restaurant as possible so had no issue with the walk, though in 35C heat would not want to do that walk to many times a day.

Food quality was okay, resort food, not the best meals we had during our stay, but still good. Their special entertainment nights are worth staying in the hotel to eat. Otherwise head down to the beach and have some of the simple but freshest, tastiest fare you have ever had.

We booked one of their packages, the Adventure one I believe, which we were able to adapt to our needs, which was very good value for the money. With daily trips and lunch included, you cannot go wrong. Breakfast was included though only the Nicaraguan breakfast, which after a few days, does get a little repetitive. You have to pay for anything else.

Staff are very friendly and willing to cater to your every need. I will have to agree though with some of the reviews, that perhaps, some things do get lost in translation. Though you don't need Spanish, some knowledge would be handy, as their English proficiency is not as good as I have been told it is in Costa Rica. Face to face service was very good, but trying to book anything ahead of time is where you can run into problems. So double check that something you have booked is recorded and be prepared to roll with punches when all does not go smoothly.

Overall, a wonderful vacation, made more so by the attentive staff at Pelican Eyes and by the lovely setting of this hotel complex. Would return and recommend to friends, with some provisos.

Room Tip: Choose accommodation as close to the main restaurant as possible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KamaMac
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We've been with my girlfriend in Nicaragua for a week. First visited Granada and in pursuit of beach and sun we went to San Juan. We didn't do much research and stayed in one of the hotels in Town. A couple we met over there told us about this Resort, that they have "most amazing view in town" and we definitely should see it. So we came up to their restaurant for a dinner (it's located on the hill, really close to the center of San Juan, surrounded by tropical plants and flowers). The view was really stunning, you could see the whole bay, and the sun coming down, also there was a infinity pool just in front of the restaurant. Their stuff was really friendly and they served us food pretty quick (some "chillout" music in background playing and really intimate atmosphere) My girlfriend ordered some fancy salad and margarita drink, but I've decided to go with burger and local beer called "Tona". The food was really delicious, We've spend great time there. Unfortunately we have already paid for our room in other Hotel. Next time...and yes - highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jakub K
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Jakub.
Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with this commentary. We are flattered to have been one of your choices in San Juan del Sur. I am delighted hearing that you enjoyed your night at La Cascada and got to experience the sunset from up there. We look forward being you of service again in your next visit to San Juan del Sur.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our stay at Pelican Eyes was nothing short of amazing! Gorgeous views, spacious accommodations, wonderful food/drink (especially your choice of fresh juice with breakfast) and friendly service. Massages by the pool are a must! It doesn't get much better than watching the sunset over San Juan Del Sur from La Cascada pool. Overall, a great experience and highly recommended to travelers who want to indulge in a little luxury.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elisa V

Dear Elisa.

Thank you for having taken the time to provide us with this commentary. I am very pleased hearing you had such an amazing stay at Pelican Eyes, enjoyed the accommodations, the restaurant and our Spa services. I am happy that you were able to experience the sunset at La Cascada Restaurant & Bar. I can only add that we look forward being you of service again in the future.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked a stay at Pelican Eyes at the recommendation of my friends, since they were having a wedding in SJDS and the reception at Pelican Eyes. I admit, it was laziness on my part in not researching other options hotel. I looked at some pictures, and the review seemed good, and plus my friends had been there and recommended it, so I booked it. I am positive that my first experience of Nicaragua would have been much better had I not stayed at Pelican Eyes.
I should have known what to expect when I was trying to book, and it took 25+ emails to finally get my reservation straight. Those responding to emails would leave out important details, not answer my follow up questions, and mixed up the room I was trying to book multiple times. It was frustrating in the least.
Arriving at Pelican Eyes, the resort was nice enough. However, the property is too big, and you need a shuttle to go anywhere. Transport via the hotel shuttle is unfortunately the only option for getting to and from the reception and the room. The roads throughout the resort are not paved, so it's not very easy to walk, and it's a bumpy ride in the shuttle. Each time we needed a ride to leave our casa, we would have to call the reception. The amount of time it took for the transport to arrive would vary anywhere from 5 minutes to 45+ minutes. I felt like much of my time in Nicaragua was waiting for transport and getting transported through the resort and to town or reception.
The first night in the resort, a glass cover on the stove exploded when I tried to boil some water. Luckily my boyfriend and I were both not in the kitchen when this happened. If we were, I can only imagine how we would have been hurt because there were shards of broken glass everywhere in the kitchen and surrounding area. This seemed like a freak accident, but we heard from one of the other weddings guests that it happened to them too!
There were also bugs in the casa we stayed in. In the bathroom one night there was the biggest spider I have ever seen by the door. And on another day I was stung by a bee in the bathroom. The kitchen had a lot of little bugs crawling around the counters as well.
The service at the resort was extremely poor, and there was a definite lack of communication between the staff regarding everything about the stay. It was extremely stressful and frustrating to be stuck in a resort that is not only poorly designed, but also where the service was horrible.
I really wish I had researched myself and stayed at a hotel in town. There was a little boutique hotel right on the street by the beach, and it was a lot cheaper than Pelican Eyes.
Pelican Eyes reaffirmed why I prefer boutique hotels as opposed to big resorts, and this was by far the worst experience at a resort thus far.

Room Tip: Not recommended under any circumstances. Better off to stay at a small hotel in town.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandy K

Dear Sandy.

We are very eager to learn from our missteps and we would like to thank you for providing us with this straightforward feedback. I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences you went through. Indeed the resort is located on a hill top and the accommodations are built throughout, providing our guests with wonderful views but also dependence on transport if located far away from the reception. I am sorry to hear that you encountered that as troublesome. Furthermore due to the fact that we are located in a tropical region it is almost inevitable to keep out all types of insects of the accommodations. Nevertheless taken from your commentary it seemed that you encountered numerous and that is unacceptable. I would like to inform you that we do keep a tight fumigation schedule to prevent this from happening unfortunately at times it is not enough. There will be looked into how we can improve. We strive to provide all guests with the top-notch service they deserve, I am sorry to hear that with you regrettably this was not achieved. It is unfortunate due to this experience you did not have a worthy first impression of Nicaragua. We take your feedback seriously and cannot thank you enough for having provided us with these honest comments. I hope in the future you will visit our beautiful country again and our resort in order for us to provide you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in one of the casa villas and the villa itself was very pretty although thenfountain in the corner didnt work.. The pools were clean and had a great view and the breakfast the first day was excellent! Best breakfast i have had in a while but the second day the poached eggs were hard boiled and it took and hour and half! As well as they didnt tell us there were going to be two people using the room of our villa who arriced at 9 at night so we though people were braking in.. Poor managment its not worth it!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Lucindaemmaord
Pelican Eyes R, General Manager at Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Lucinda, thank you for having taken your time to provide us with this review. I am pleased reading that you enjoyed the accommodations and were able to enjoy breakfast while overlooking the magnificent San Juan del Sur bay. I am sorry to hear that not everything did go as expected, we are aware of the fact that there is still room for improvement in some of our services offered. We will do our utmost best to make the necessary changes. We hope to be welcoming you back in the future to provide you with the service you deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Juan del Sur
#5 of 28 in San Juan del Sur
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
Surf Ranch Hotel & Resort
#26 of 28 in San Juan del Sur

Been to Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!