“stunning”

Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 April 2009

i'm a spoiled brat when it comes to resort travel. piedras y olas completely satisfied me: gorgeous setting; amazing attention to detail; beautiful, huge casita (open, high ceilings, all the amenities without being too fancy); first rate food; three beautiful pools; great service that is friendly without being solicitous. they arranged a great day trip for us, and even arranged a babysitter for our three-year-old (when we got home, our daughter was asleep; she asked about the babysitter the other day, a month after our trip). the wind in san juan del sur made beach time difficult, but we wound up being very happy just eating our perfect breakfast each morning and heading to the family pool, with its view of the bay. all in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 April 2009

My wife, son and I just returned from a four day get away at Pelican Eyes. It was difficult to leave and head back home to Costa Rica. The service at this hotel was the best we have experience in either Costa Rica or Nicaragua over the last 11 years. Everyone............ management, waiters, housekeeping maids, reception and guards were friendly, accommodating and professional. The resort, grounds, rooms, gardens and multiple pools were immaculately clean and the food quality in both restaurants was consistently excellent, compliments to LB, their chef. There are a great deal of stairs to climb to go to the upper restaurants and pools but we were ready for this as they were very up front about " stair master" in their marketing. When power in San Juan Del Sur went off a few times their generator kicked in a few minutes later. After living in Central America this long you tend to let your expectations and standards lower a level or two so when you see and experience this level of hospitality and professionalism, it really, really stands out. We met many guests from the US and Canada and they all shared the same feeling as we did, not wanting to leave.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I have been to Nicaragua numerous times and one reason I keep returning is my positive experience at Piedras y Olas. As a long time fan and frequent guest of Piedras y Olas, I watch TripAdvisor with anticipation as more and more travelers come to enjoy the wonders of San Juan del Sur and this tiny piece of paradise. I have meant to write for a long time but the email from travellerKW surprised me into writing an instant response.

Opinions and personalities are what these TRAVEL blog sites are all about and I applaud the honesty they encourage but it is important to separate opinions from harmful misleading statements written as facts.

Since I contribute to Stones and Waves, the sanctuary kept at Piedras y Olas, I do know their history. The only animals found there are ones who have been rescued and cannot be released back into the wild. The sanctuary honors a commitment to care for the animals and create the best environment for them that they can. As well, the sanctuary is constantly trying to improve the living conditions of those animals and educate the local population against trapping and killing and attempting to domesticate the local fauna. Any animal that can be treated and released is released in a farm on the Costa Rican border to return to a natural habitat. The animals are here and accessible to the visitors of the hotel but are not meant as an attraction. The monkeys are spiders and white faced capuchins monkeys, not howlers, and they are on runner line while the sanctuary collects funds to create a large netted habitat for each grouping. Stones and Waves also promotes spay and neuter clinics and animal respect for young people.

As well, Piedras y Olas was built into the previously deforested hills of San Juan del Sur in an area devoid of most trees, vegetation and animals. The hotel has actually reforested a reserve to the south of the hotel, 10 acres which is attracting small animals and birds once again. There were no monkey troops in those hills and all the monkeys residing at the sanctuary have been rescued from abused residence situations. No animal has ever been trapped or brought in. This is very unfair to say. It is hard for me to believe anyone in town would even suggest such a thing.

The staff members at the hotel are professional, helpful, and knowledgeable. I feel totally at ease in this unique setting that celebrates Nicaraguan culture. I can choose from an array of activities that allow me to relax individually or immerse myself in the community. I have always been pleased with my accommodations at Piedras y Olas. The rooms are bright and spacious. I have only smelled fresh air there, never ever any smoke!

I would hate for anyone to have a negative view of Piedras y Olas. It is an organization dedicated to the community of San Juan del Sur and respectful of the surrounding environment. I will continue to visit and appreciate this unique and wonderful spot!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank TarHeelTravel
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I can see why people would like this place. The rooms are spacious and interestingly designed and have great views but all of that doesn't compensate for the creepy vibe at this place. It is an overly americanized version of an old school mexican resort/ hotel but in Nicaragua - a country with a much different culture than Mexico. The creepiest part for me by far however is the so-called animal reserve on the property where guests can go and visit howler monkeys that are chained to trees with iron ring leashes around their necks. The hotel makes a big deal about having a vet on site to help the displaced animals (that also included a number of cats who wander into your room if you leave the doors open to air out the smoke smell) and they are telling the truth their is a vet on site. The problem is that the signage about the animals say that they will get released back to the wild. However, according to a number of locals in town but native Nicaraguans and ex-pats, as well as a some discreet employees of the hotel, not only are the monkeys never released back into the wild and freed from the metal rings around their necks, but there need to be rescued is a direct result of the hotel. In other words, when the hotel was built it destroyed the habitat of the monkeys, who the hotel decided to keep as as a tourist draw. It's just gross.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travellerKW
Reviewed 2 March 2009

My now-husband and I had been to Pelican Eyes twice in the past before deciding to get married there this past February. Although initially a little wary about planning a wedding outside of the US, I honestly do not think we could have had a better wedding anywhere. It was an absolute dream wedding and all 70 of our guests are still raving about it, many telling us it's the best wedding they ever attended. The staff and event planner at the hotel went way above and beyond planning our big day. We bought the Pure Elegance package (see website) and would highly recommend it to everyone. The hotel has our contact information and we would be more than happy to provide a reference and share pictures. Seriously, you will NOT be disappointed if you decide to marry here. In fact, even if you don't have a wedding, it's an amazing place to stay and an excellent value for your dollar. We love this place and will return many times in the future. Thank-you Pelican Eyes!

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 24 February 2009

The town of San Juan del Sur is still a fishing village with added amenities growing out of some nearby surfing beaches and the successful resort complex at Piedra y Olas. You can experience the town, pretty sheltered bay, and friendly inhabitants while enjoying first class accomodations. I recently spent a week at one of the casitas there. The accomodations are completely up-to-date and kept to the higest standard. Any one of the three swimming pools makes a hike down to the ocean unnecessary - unless you wish to watch the day's catch brought ashore. The restaurant offers fine fresh food prepared by an excellent chef and the mojitas are superb. All of this is nice but what will keep me coming back (besides the views and weather) is the warm hopitality of the management and staff. Thay make you feel like a valued family member.

Reviewed 18 January 2009

When I travel I usually book smaller hotels run by locals so I can experience a more authentic feel of the country I am visiting. This was an exception - I decided I would splurge and book a night at Piedras y Olas during my weekend excursion to San Juan del Sur. I was not disappointed.

The hotel is set in to the San Juan hills along the edge of downtown. Service was very prompt and courteous, with bellhops meeting us at our car as soon as we parked to carry our luggage and escort it to our room. Of course, some people may think this is typical of upscale hotels and resorts, but it was still nice to me.

The room was spacious and well-appointed, with comfortable, lavish bed linens and spacious bathroom with open shower and stone floors. The windows looked out over the city with views of the ocean, and a crystal-clear pool just steps from our room. We also walked up to the upper area of the hotel to experience the other lap pool which offered even more incredible views of the city below.

We were provided drink vouchers good for one beer or select alcoholic beverages at the hotel bar. The hotel is a mere 10 - 15 minute walk to restaurants and bars in downtown San Juan del Sur, and easy to find after a night out. It's also very secure - there is a guard station at the entrance and other guards and employees throughout the hotel grounds at all hours.

Built in to a hillside, the hotel has MANY stairs.. keep this in mind if you have special accessibility requirements. If you have a wheelchair or crutches, this hotel may not be the best option for you.

Breakfast is included and isn't some luke-warm buffet-style continental deal like you get in the United States. A wide array of breakfast options are available to you off the menu, and made fresh to order at no additional cost. This includes juice, tea, and coffee.

The hotel has a bevy of cats and resident animals that all seemed very tame and friendly. A couple of the cats enjoyed our company and would sit on our laps while we sat by the pool and relaxed with us. There were not so many that they were intrusive or a nuisance - they actually added to the character of the hotel.

The hotel is also socially conscience, joining with other organizations to help provide local educational funds, purchasing locally-made items and crafts, and even holding a spay and neuter clinic last October.

The only drawbacks were lack of non-smoking rooms, though the room was very fresh and clean, and a feeling of isolation from the local community, though sometimes this can be a welcome reprieve (as it was for me). We also ran out of hot water, but with three people in our room showering in succession, it could have just been due to our high demand.

Otherwise, the hotel was near perfect, and I would definitely stay here again. It's very simply the nicest hotel in San Juan del Sur, and quite possibly all of Nicaragua.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Playa Redonda
Hotel Alcazar
Hotel Alcazar
#12 of 27 in San Juan del Sur

Been to Pelican Eyes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!