“This place knocked my socks off!”

Hotel & Resort Palermo
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 April 2009

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was the diligent security (which I later learned is there 'round the clock). Next I was greeted and checked in at the beautiful commons center, which includes a fantastic restaurant and bar, both next to the incredible pool. I was shocked at how big the villas are when I was shown to mine and was directed to the master bedroom. Also, I knew it would be relatively nice for Nicaragua, but I think it was more nicely furnished than my own home! The patios both afforded a beautiful view of the town and bay, as does the restaurant and pool area. I set up shop next to the pool with my laptop and was able to make calls home with Skype using the highspeed wireless internet. The service is fantastic and friendly. Bosco is available throughout the day to take you into town and drive you back, free of charge. They staff will also arrange for a taxi after hours or for longer treks and will set you straight about proper cab fare. I could go on and on, but will end with a few words about the restaurant., since I'm something of a foodie.

The food on-site was absolutely delicious. The coffee was, without exaggeration, the best I've ever had. I started every morning enjoying the view while I sipped two cups (no sugar or cream necessary) and about half of my mornings with the juveos rancheros (though I didn't have a single menu item I didn't love). You should also order shrimp tacos (I don't believe they're on the menu, but the chef will make whatever you want). The corn tortillas are locally made and to die for.

Also, try the food at Pelican Eyes in town. Bosco will drive you there. It's much pricier to get a room at Pelican eyes, but they have a great happy hour and very reasonably priced fancier fare ($12 gigantic filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes and fried onions). In town, there's plenty of nightlife and tons of tourists out for a good time. Things ramp up after 10PM or so.

Villas de Palermo is awesome. I'm absolutely going back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank TrojanBruin

Reviewed 22 March 2009

After traveling in Nicaragua for a week we came to Palermo with a recommendation from a friend. Quiet, clean and with an extremely helpful staff, we were able fully relax and enjoy the town of San Juan del Sur. Beautiful spacious villas, refreshing pool, and a restaurant with delicious food, made our stay all the better. The free shuttle to town was available to us when we wanted to explore the area or when we wanted to escape back to the villas. Taxis are easy to find after hours to enjoy the great nightlife. Palermo is a perfect spot to get away and the surfing town of San Juan del Sur is charming and hospitable.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank joeytirabassi
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Our villa, shared with a friend was clean, functional and comfortable. The views of the Pacific from the veranda were great. The kitchen was reasonably well equipped though we did very little cooing. The restaurant included in this gated resort was adequate but nothing special, though prices were quite reasonable. The resort is a 3 minute distance outside of San Juan del Sur, which was fine with us, since that surfer town can be noisy, especially on weekend evenings.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank earll
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We stayed at Palermo Hotel Villas with our family the week between Christmas and New Year. The accomodations are new, neat, clean and very well equiped with the modern appliances. The two bedroom villas are beautifully constructed, maintained, designed and offer spectacular views of the lush valley and the San Juan Del Sur Bay (We enjoyed panoramic views as our villa was near the top of the complex). The sunsets offer spectacular color combinations even though they seem to go very quick.ly. We planned our evenings around enjoying the sunsets together. The pool. restaurant and clubhouse are relaxing, beautiful and comfortable The food at the restaurant is gourmet quality and the priceds are very reasonable. The staff are very attentive and genuinly friendly. Palermo is a short distance from downtown San Juan Del Sur ( 5-8 minutes by taxi or hotel shuttle.) So, it is very quiet and relaxing. I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank CAC101
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The view of the bay from the Villa was just magnificent. Our two room villa was clean and spacious. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The food was great and the lounging next to the pool with drink in hand was so relaxing.

Waking up to the sound of Howler Monkeys was a new experience for us. The town of San Juan del Sur is charming. We were amazed at the variety and quality of the restaurants - the food is wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sac909
Reviewed 6 December 2008

My husband and I made a return visit to Villas de Palermo this November, and once again the stay was magnificent. We had just spent a week volunteering in a hospital in El Salvador and were in much need of some rest and relaxation. VDP hit the spot with its pristine pool, clean villas, lush landscape, beautiful sunsets, exquisite food and personalized service. We spent our time reading, lounging, sipping cocktails at the bar, cooking in our villa and visiting some of the nearby beaches and restaurants. There are a few really good new places in town that are not to be missed. Bambu Beach (used to be Ol Sole Mio, which has moved to hotel La Dolce Vita) and El Pozo, both have great menus and Bambu Beach has movies two nights a week, shown on a large white "canvas" that is hung between two palm trees. The road from La Virgen to SJDS is in excellent shape with it's recent completion of repaving. I highley suggest VDP for those who want a little piece of solitude while not being too far from all of the action of downtown SJDS.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfroggy
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Traveling with 6 other friends on a trip to Nicaragua we were looking for something affordable, but nice. Palermo is a great value, very affordably priced, but also a very very nice place. The property is very well maintained, the villas are beautiful, the view is incredible, the staff is very friendly - especially Bosco, our "driver" who took us all over town during our stay. The surrounding area has a lot to do; from zip line canopy tours, horse back riding, beach, fishing, hiking, etc. The club house has a nice restaurant and bar, the food was very good and well priced, and the pool was a great end to the day, watching the sunset over the Pacific. All said and done, this is a great place to stay - you can't go wrong.

Stayed: November 2008
#3 of 4 in Playa Marsella
HulaKai Hotel
HulaKai Hotel
#1 of 3 in Playa Maderas

Been to Hotel & Resort Palermo? Share your experiences!