“Gorgeous Views, Great Kitchen, and a Wonderful Pool”

Villas de Palermo Hotel & Resort
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Barbara, CA
“Gorgeous Views, Great Kitchen, and a Wonderful Pool”
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This place is about a km out of the center of town, but is really nice and new and a wonderful place to relax or have a home base for exploring the area. They have a nice restaurant, great pool, and some of the best views I've ever seen. The kitchen has everything you need including a huge fridge and we had some great meals on our porch watching the sunsets. I had some work to do and was happy to have working wi-fi in my unit as well. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are clean and nice, and there is a zip-line canopy tour walking distance from the hotel as well as some nice hikes. i'll be back!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Our family spent a week in VDP in Dec 2008, and were not sure what to expect in Nicaragua. The road from the airport was not the best, but once you arrive - wow! Big (1600 sq ft) villas with big bedrooms, kitchens, very clean kitchen and living room. We had a blast going into San Juan and walking along the beach. Since my "kids" are teenagers, we sat in a bar on the beach and watched the sun sink below the water. Probably the best sunsets I have ever seen, I saw during that week. From our villa (from all the villas) you can see the ocean and enjoy the sunsets. We loved going to the pool during the heat of the day. We also liked having the Wifi in our villa for keeping in touch. All in, a terrific introduction to Nicaragua in a super clean villa, yet able to enjoy the local life just outside the villa compound. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Mapleburg
miami
Reviewed 14 July 2009

we stayed there for two days it was wonderful, the villa was very clean with nice furniture, big rooms, very relaxing and quiet place I loved it and I will go back again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Nicaragua
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I stayed in one of the Villas for a week in June with a friend. We enjoyed the relaxing mood of this place. It's got a great pool and restaurant with a beautiful view. The rooms are fantastic for families or a group of friends to stay for cheap!! There are shuttles into town and Da Flying Frogs Canopy Tour and horseback riding is very close to the Villas. Would recommend to anyone. :)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Was there just before Christmas 2008 - Very well designed villas w/two bedrooms - kitchen was up-to-date, pots & pans & coffee maker. The pool was very nice and relaxing on mountain with distant view of the Pacific. Pool bar is decent food and drinks are very inexpensive. Went fishing one day and brought catch back to hotel and the chef cooked it for us!! Lost power for about 8 hours one day, but we heard it's pretty normal for the area - Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
TrojanBruin
Reviewed 6 April 2009

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was the diligent security (which I later learned is there 'round the clock). Next I was greeted and checked in at the beautiful commons center, which includes a fantastic restaurant and bar, both next to the incredible pool. I was shocked at how big the villas are when I was shown to mine and was directed to the master bedroom. Also, I knew it would be relatively nice for Nicaragua, but I think it was more nicely furnished than my own home! The patios both afforded a beautiful view of the town and bay, as does the restaurant and pool area. I set up shop next to the pool with my laptop and was able to make calls home with Skype using the highspeed wireless internet. The service is fantastic and friendly. Bosco is available throughout the day to take you into town and drive you back, free of charge. They staff will also arrange for a taxi after hours or for longer treks and will set you straight about proper cab fare. I could go on and on, but will end with a few words about the restaurant., since I'm something of a foodie.

The food on-site was absolutely delicious. The coffee was, without exaggeration, the best I've ever had. I started every morning enjoying the view while I sipped two cups (no sugar or cream necessary) and about half of my mornings with the juveos rancheros (though I didn't have a single menu item I didn't love). You should also order shrimp tacos (I don't believe they're on the menu, but the chef will make whatever you want). The corn tortillas are locally made and to die for.

Also, try the food at Pelican Eyes in town. Bosco will drive you there. It's much pricier to get a room at Pelican eyes, but they have a great happy hour and very reasonably priced fancier fare ($12 gigantic filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes and fried onions). In town, there's plenty of nightlife and tons of tourists out for a good time. Things ramp up after 10PM or so.

Villas de Palermo is awesome. I'm absolutely going back.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank TrojanBruin
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 22 March 2009

After traveling in Nicaragua for a week we came to Palermo with a recommendation from a friend. Quiet, clean and with an extremely helpful staff, we were able fully relax and enjoy the town of San Juan del Sur. Beautiful spacious villas, refreshing pool, and a restaurant with delicious food, made our stay all the better. The free shuttle to town was available to us when we wanted to explore the area or when we wanted to escape back to the villas. Taxis are easy to find after hours to enjoy the great nightlife. Palermo is a perfect spot to get away and the surfing town of San Juan del Sur is charming and hospitable.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends