“Great place to stay in San Juan del Sur”

Hotel & Resort Palermo
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Nice place overall. The villas are more like timeshares than traditional hotel suites/rooms. Each unit is free standing. Unless you get a unit in the front your view from your patio is of the unit in front of you. The only place you can get internet access is in the restaurant/bar/lobby and it shouldn't cost them too much to put wireless access points in each unit so that you can get online from your villa.

Location is a little farther out of town but during the day the little golf cart shuttle is there to take you back and forth and cabs were only $5 US after dark. There is an ocean view from Palermo but it is pretty distant. It would have been nice to have room service also but with the full kitchen at least you can stock cold beverages and food if you so desire.

The villas really need real in-room safes. They provide a locked cabinet but it's less than ideal security for your valuables.

The food in the restaurant at poolside was very tasty and the staff is very nice as well.

We did have to kill two scorpions during our stay so it doesn't look like they keep up on the pesticides around the grounds.

With the size of the units it would be nice to have washer/dryer in each unit. They do provide laundry service but it's not well advertised.

Next time we are in SJDS we are going to try Pelican Eyes - it's actually in town and you can walk back and forth. The pool is much nicer there as is the bar.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Happy_Kayaker, Marketing Manager and Homeowner at Villas de Palermo at Hotel & Resort Palermo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2010

We certainly appreciate our guests letting us know what they like and want improved about our property. It sounds like we need to communicate better, while our guests are staying in our hotel. I have recently added an "In Room Manual" to the coffee table of each villa - and it's available on-line, too. I encourage each guest to download and read through this document on our "Contact Us" page of our website before arrival.

We are always happy to move you to a different villa, if we have availability and if you prefer a different view. Each villa has spectacular ocean views, but we are letting trees grow to return our property to its natural, jungle state and sometimes that means a view from a patio or a window offers a bird or a flower, instead of the harbor.

There is free WIFI internet throughout our property - in each villa, at the clubhouse and around the pool. It is a password-protected WIFI network. The network name with the strongest signal will differ as you move around our large property - we have several antennas that broadcast signal in different directions. Our staff will cheerfully help you find the best signal for your computer.

Our room service is just as tasty as the food in our restaurant! I have recently added room service menus and telephones to the villas, so you'll be encouraged to enjoy our great food in your villa. There is also a refrigerator magnet on your refrigerator with phone numbers for room service, the front desk and security.

Each villa has a locking cabinet in the kitchen for guests to store valuable, but if you prefer a safe - please ask at the front desk. In fact, if you have any questions, any of our staff and especially our front desk team is at your service.

My husband and I also enjoy the view from La Canoa at Pelican Eyes. It's a spectacular setting with a bird's eye views of San Juan Bay. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I drive to town from the upper villas there and at Palermo!

Thanks for your constructive comments!

Reviewed 30 March 2010

Stayed at the Villa with my wife & 12 year old daughter &16 year old son for 17 nights! We were on a 2 1/2 week vacation to Nica. The staff can't do enough to help you !!! They all speak a little English !! The Villas are Magnificent ! All New & modern, full kitchens (not that we did any cooking) But nice to have a full size fridge to fill full of Botttled water & Beer and Pop etc. . Microwave,coffeemachine, all the amenities of a modern Canadian or American Household !Un-limited Hot water, And everything else worked ! Breakfast was included, not the greatest breakfast but they are trying ! Had supper there a couple of times and food was great ! Although a bit more pricey than going into SanJuan Del Sur. Hamburgers and fries around the pool during the day were awesome ! We were in Villa 14 which is one of the closest villas to Restaurant and Pool . Only downfall of Villa Palermo for some people would be that you need wheels to get into town! I had rented a car so was no problem for me,But Hotel staff will run you into SanJUanDelSur & pick you up anytime ! Without hesitation and free ! Give the driver a $1.00 Us or $2 U.S. Tip They are more than Happy to take you into town ! I can't say enough about this place, it was our home away from home for 2 &1/2 weeks, bring a little padlock for your suitcase as there is no room safe, so I just locked up one of our suitcases(with the cash & passports etc.,) when we weren't there. Villa Palermo is one of the nicest places to stay at in all of Nicaragua !!! Especially for the price !!! One thing they should do is Cut two trees that are inhibiting the Ocean View !Or replant them more off to the side ! I have been to the Mayan Riviera twice and other places in Mexico and this place has them all beat ! And we don't stay in anything less than 41/2 stars in Mexico ,so you need'nt have any worries about Villa Palermo !

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Happy_Kayaker, Marketing Manager at Hotel & Resort Palermo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2010

Thanks for all the good words - and we listen, too! There is now a locking cabinet in the kitchen of each villa for guests to secure passports, laptops, cash, whatever... Or you can just lock up your groceries!!! We hope you return soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2010

We recently had our wedding at Palermo (30 people) and we could not be happier with our experience at the resort. It's a VERY NICE AND COMFORTABLE resort. It's not over the top, but definitely nice. If you're on a backpack budget, it's probably a bit much for you (or me, or anyone looking for basic lodging). We've been lucky enough to do a fair amount of traveling (we've camped, slept in tree houses, stayed in 4 star hotels, B&B's, rented houses, etc.). My wife has a background in F&B and travel, and has worked for companies like Marriott and the Four Seasons. She was extremely happy with the service and the property. I would go so far as to say, the service was better than the US. The staff is genuinely friendly, hard-working and very good at what they do. Boucho took care of us the whole time we were there and is pretty much the coolest guy on the planet. Sharon and especially Gabby (our wedding coordinator that works with, but not for, the resort) made our wedding run flawlessly. I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone traveling to the SJDS area on vacation that wants to be comfortable and would further recommend it for anyone looking for a unique wedding destination, with a professionally run wedding. We will definitely return as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank busto999
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Nicaragua is the most beautiful place.. Everyone couldn’t understand why we picked there!!! Once you been I will understand why!! Make sure you can speak Spanish; you will be lost without it. Beware of the Police (SHADY) and their rental car scandal!!!!!! Stayed at the Palermo... words can not describe this Villa or the view!!! I'll will put a photo IN SOON!!

Reviewed 16 February 2010

Things we loved: The photos of the villas say it all. This place is beautiful and the villas so spotless I thought I had walked into a model home. The floor plan is perfect and so spacious. We liked its location - close to town yet above it all. We loved Bosco who took us into town every day in the tuk-tuk! We took advantage of happy hour cocktails by the pool, and appreciated the breakfast on the patio being served until 11:00am. I had a beautiful steak dinner one evening. I ordered my filet "medio-rojo" and it came out perfectly medium-rare. It also made for a great steak sandwich the next day. One more thing I think I really liked is that, compared with, say, Piedras y Olas, it seemed to have a more international clientele, and therefore felt more like I was in Nicaragua / Central America and not at a convention in the U.S.
Things we would change: Zero. Ok, maybe trim the tree branches that were brushing up against our bedroom window at night. (I actually thought about inquiring into that, but it was such a well-run place I figured they would probably go and DO it, in which case I would feel bad having made such a request!)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2010

My family took advantage of the 0vida renewal" package offered online. I was skeptical at first, thinking the price must be wtong, the rooms would be a dump, or too removed from town. Or wax fanadtic, the villas are beautiful, just like in the photos, landscape and views are gorgeous and the whole place is just a five minute drive from the town, where staff will drip you off and pick you up, whenever you want. Bosco the main driver is fantastic, genuine and a wonderful ambassador to the hotel. He met us at the birder and made us feel welcome immediately. My only complaint would be about the food, as a restauranteur though I can be picky. I noticed the plates often arrived different to how they were described on the menu. They had a heavy hand on the artificial seasoning, and the steak I ordered rare ( to compensate for the tendency to overcook meat in Central America) came well done. I can tolerate medium, but beyond that, I'm just not interested in eating it. I sent it back, and choked through
the second plate that came, cooked just as much as the first was and I was too embarrased to refuse it a second time. Breakfast was great, and the service was wonderful, the rooms do come with full kitchens, so next time I will cook in or check out pelican eyes restaurant again.

much as the first. though friends raved that the food was fantastic.

Reviewed 12 December 2009

First of I really liked the location. Far enough from SJ to be quiet and private, but close enough to go to SJ in a few minutes to enjoy the restuarants and town. Also very close to PALI where you can get everything you need to take advantage of the fully equipped kitchen. That being said I would recommend having a rental car. The bay views from the patio were great and we saw the first cruise ship of the season. The furniture/appliance package is one of the nicest I have seen in Nicaragua, richly decorated with dark wood, the villa also has central air, great showers, good water pressure and modern fancy appliances. As a business traveler I very much appreciated having wireless internet from my villa. I would gladly return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Popoyo
HulaKai Hotel
HulaKai Hotel
#1 of 3 in Playa Maderas

Been to Hotel & Resort Palermo? Share your experiences!