“Home away from home !!”
Review of La Posada Azul

La Posada Azul
Reviewed 30 November 2013

After many months of searching and researching our trip to San Juan Del Sur, I kept coming back to La Posada Azul as our home base. I am so glad we chose this "Bonita" location as it made our trip !! Not only does it put you in a great location for everything in the town, but it also gives you a home away from home feeling and allows you to get off the street and rest in a courtyard style setting when you truly want to relax. The staff went above and beyond to make you feel at home and the owners were great with local information. We are planning our next trip for the spring and we will definitely be staying here. As far as San Juan Del Sur goes, with all the negative things you may read online, it truly was an oasis and great people.

John & Christine

Room Tip: The Casita in the back is the best location !!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Posada Azul

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We spent 3 nights here. Because we no longer had a car, we moved from El Jardin (which I highly recommend). The common areas for indoor sitting/TV watching, veranda, breakfast, pool, and sitting area around the outside bar were exceptional for San Juan del Sur - definitely a 5 star setting. Location was excellent; steps from the beach and near bars & restaurants (of course everything in SJDS is close to everything else). The challenge is the rooms (hence the 4 stars) - we saw #1: spacious, double bed with bunks and 2 windows unfortunately right on the street. #2-5 open onto the lobby hall, veranda, & kitchen/breakfast room. #6 probably is the best: 2 windows for cross ventilation and far from the street noise. We had #7: twin beds, small, far from the street, across from the pool; stiffling hot as there is no cross ventilation. We didn't want to use the available AC so we were HOT. Breakfast was good, nonrepetitive, and diverse. The honor bar was very useful. We did a day trip to Playa Hermosa - nice, quiet, not crowded. I did enjoy the folk art but it didn't make up for the bad nights' sleep.

Room Tip: #6 probably is the best for quiet location and cross ventilation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneLaX
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We happened upon this hotel and what a little slice of pleasure in what is a grungy beach town. Very lovely staff and the most adorable back garden. Our room was spacious with two comfy beds and a totally fine bathroom. We sat by the cute pool and felt miles away from the grungy ness of town.
Delicious breakfast!
Good security at night - and overall a pleasure. Prime location if you want something in town.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I saw this little BNB in Lonely Planet's Aug 2013 edition. We stopped in without a reservation in Oct (low season) and got a nicely-sized room (#6) in the back part of the hotel, in front of the pool. The location is central, so easy for walking. It was a hot day so after some touring around,we enjoyed a dip in the small pool to cool off. I even had space to do a few laps!

The room was extremely clean, the Q bed very comfortable. The safety box was bolted down in the closet (not always the case in Central America). I asked if we could do a load of laundry and was able to give it to the empleada for an easy 8 dollars for the load, which was back in an hour!

When we took a night tour to go see the nesting turtles, the watchman let us back in at 11 pm.

We felt safe,secure, comfortable and very well cared for here at La Posada Azul. And at only 80 bucks for the room and a tasty breakfast, we're quite pleased!

Nice gift shop too.

Room Tip: #6 back by the pool is very quiet, at least in low season.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth V
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed at La Posada Azul for two nights in August 2013 while traveling with my two sisters (ages 36-22). First off, the hotel is in a really great location. It's one block off the beach on the South side of town. Stepping out the door you are greeted with ocean and mountain views. The hotel itself was very quaint - it was originally a private home and has been converted. The room was clean and the breakfast was excellent. We enjoyed coming back to the hotel after dinner and enjoying a few beverages from the honor bar in the courtyard by the pool and felt that was a nice, added bonus. Their one room that slept 3 was room #1, the closest to the front door. I'd say its location was the only negative - the hotel has a security gate that locks at night and a security guard placed by the front door. So, the guard was basically sitting directly outside our door all night, which was great from a safety perspective but not so great from a privacy perspective. This issue would be eliminated in any of the other rooms at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sta617
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed at La Posada Azul for 5 days and 4 nights. The location couldn't be better for someone looking to get close to the downtown area and near the beach. The people were very friendly and laid back. It's very peaceful inside. The free breakfast was just right. The pool was well maintained and I enjoyed a daily swim to relax. Everyone was very friendly. I made a last minute reservation and had the room across from the office which fronted the main street. However, there was no noise problem and I was able to enjoy a quiet room. The room was well maintained and the air conditioning worked great. The be was comfortable and I had no problems with the wifi. I left some clothes out to be washed every day and they were placed back in my room by the end of the day. I will definitely be back to stay there on my next trip to San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2013

If I ever run away from home and live at the beach, this is where I will end up. My little bungalow was in a great location back away from the front desk, beside the pool. The room was large, comfortable, and cool. It was hot outside and the pool provided much needed relief. The beach was a short block walk away and it was two different beaches. On the weekend it is busy and active with dozens of buses bringing people from inland. During the week it is your own private beach. Most mornings I would walk the entire mile of beach and perhaps see 5 other people. The staff at the hotel are very helpful in suggesting activities and dining spots. The best thing to do at the beach is to sun a little, nap a little and at night go to Vivian for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the rear of the property. That means number six or higher. There is not a b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo