“Hotel that makes you happy”
Review of El Jardin Hotel

El Jardin Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Leiden
“Hotel that makes you happy”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

El Jardin is a wonderful hotel with fantastic views of the Pacific Ocean. You wake up by the sound of birds sitting and singing just one meter from your window. The hotel is painted in exuberant colors, but the room interiors are of a minimalist beauty. The breakfast was one of the very best we had during our 24-day holiday in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. We did not have dinner in the hotel but the text of the menu alone was mouthwatering. (We had dinner in a beach restaurant in San Juan, enjoying an awesome sunset). We hope we will be able to return some day ....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I started my month long trip with 5 nights in this hotel. I was looking for a place to relax and take some time out. This hotel was perfect. Not too far from San Juan Del Sur, you can easily spend time in this touristy, surfer town then retreat to your spot in the mountains where you can watch the birds and hear the howler monkeys in the mountains.

I had a room to the back of the hotel with a private terrace. Not that I needed to worry about privacy, there are many shared areas which feel equally private and relaxed. The pool is clean and boasts an enviable view.

Whenever I ate at the hotel the food was first class and very reasonably priced. The steak I ate was, without doubt, the best I have ever had. Bottles of wine were kept in the fridge overnight as needed. Delphine went out of her way to accommodate our every need. If you want a taxi, you get one. Information about local beaches, it's yours and no fuss or bother.

I will return to this hotel again. The location is perfect for a relaxed break within distance of restaurants and bars in the nearby town. The hosting is relaxed and yet attentive. The food is, incredible, unlike any other place I've stayed in Nicaragua. The room was spacious, clean and quiet. This hotel is a triumph!

Room Tip: I had room 10 towards the back of the hotel. It was very private and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have travelled extensively in Central America and El Jardin is a jewel. Parrots in the tree-tops around the pool and howler monkeys add to the ambiance of staying at a "villa" in the jungle. The view of the bay is incredible as well as the surrounding hills. El Jardin is located just far enough out of town for a bit of seclusion but close enough to enjoy the restaurants, shopping and other attractions in San Juan del Sur. The best meals however, are skillfully prepared by Chef Timothy at the hotel. The cuisine was one of the highlights of the trip. The other great attraction at El Jardin are the owners, Timothy and Delphine. No reasonable request is denied and Delphine has a knack of knowing what you would like before you do. Truly a wonderful and hard-working team. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys good food, good service and natural beauty.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice however when I return, I will get a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was the perfect place for us to end a two month trip of Central America. El Jardin was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, especially for the value. The room was impeccably clean, and the bed nice and comfy... The buildings are all made of stone so it kept the room nice and cool. The whole place had a very nice mediterranean feel to it. We had a room overlooking the ocean and the view was incredible!! It was so nice having a beer in the evening, watching the sky change colours at sunset (unfortunately it was too cloudy to see the actual sun setting, haha).
And the food- oh my goodness the food... I don't even know where to begin on how good it was. Our first night at the hotel we walked into town for dinner, but upon having dinner at the hotel the second night we stayed, we immediately regretted going to town the first night!! We only had three nights there, if we weren't flying out the next day we probably would have stayed longer just to try another meal! I would recommend going into town for lunch as the kitchen doesn't open until 6:30PM, but do NOT eat anywhere else for dinner, or you will regret it!! The breakfast was also delicious, even the bacon had some sort of seasoning that made it the best bacon I ever tried.
El Jardin is run by a French family... The wife seems to do a lot of the housework and serving and the husband does the cooking. They have an adorable little girl who likes to help them out whenever she can- sooo cute!! They've got a great little system worked out :) This is like a 4-star resort with a relaxed, family feel to it... I don't think I can give it enough praise....
Thank you for a perfect ending to a great trip!!

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view... but I think the majority of the rooms do...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachaeljean13
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Very peaceful and beautiful lodging! Owners are very friendly and the food was amazing!! The hotel is set high on a bluff which gives a perfect view of the ocean. The walk to town was nice or a 5$ taxi ride. The pool and patio area is beautiful and our room was comfortable! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I found out that I have the record for longest stay at the El Jardin! I was there for six wonderful weeks. But you are not reading this to find out about me, so lets get to it:

The Good:

1. The Owner/Operators are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Each day was started with a pleasant greeting, and a nice hot cup of coffee.

2. The Service was excellent. Whether it was help getting a taxi, the serving of a meal, or (in my case) taking me to the hospital, they were always gracious and helpful.

3. The Food! The food was first rate. Breakfast was provided, and it usually consisted of freshly baked bread, butter, and jelly, served with a plate of fresh local fruit. This was followed by a couple of scrambled eggs and two strips of perfectly cooked bacon. Why perfectly cooked? The first day I told them that I liked my bacon crisp, and for the rest of the stay that is exactly how I got my bacon. Oh, did I mention the coffee? Not only was there Java from heaven, but each breakfast gets a fresh-squeezed glass of juice!

For dinner, prepare yourself for gastronomical delights! My personal favorite was the Filet. It was served to order, and it was twice the size of a filet that I would have received for 3 times the price back home. The beef was fresh and cooked to perfection. The dish was complimented by two sides, usually some crispy potatoes and a veggie. But don't limit yourself to the delicious steak! The menu was varied, and each dish I tried was fantastic. They have seafood, pork, fish lasagna, chicken curry, a beef stew type dish (my French is atrocious, so I won't even attempt to type the real name), and appetizers such as salad and duck pate.

Desert your thing? They offered a tantalizing crepe Suzette, a scrumptious sundae, and one other dish that I can't remember because I just got lost in memories of the sundae...

4. The View!! Wow! A half million dollar view for a whole lot less. The ocean is right in front, and the hotel sits up high enough on the hill to give a really great view of the bay below. Sunsets from the patio at dinner time were worth the whole trip!

5. The room. Clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced. What more can you ask? I looked around San Juan Del Sur quite a bit during my six week stay, and I did not find a single hotel with better accommodations. Some rooms have A/C, but the fans worked fine for me.

6. The Pool! The pool measures about 30 feet by 12 feet, and is four feet deep. The staff was conscientious about keeping it clean, and the sun had it warm enough by 10 am. There is a shower to rinse off in next to the pool, and nice lounge chairs if a tan is your thing.

7. Location, location, location. The hotel is located about two miles from town, so you get to miss the drunken college children acting up, which the people who stay in town have to put up with.

8. The other guests. People were friendly, and I got to meet people from all over. Of course, some obnoxious people stayed there (I remember one particular young man who threatened to write a bad review if he didn't get his meals/room discounted), but for the most part it was an energetic and eclectic bunch. Everything from hippies to WASPs from the middle of the US of A.

The Bad:

1. If you have bad knees, then you will have to take a taxi to town instead of walking... That's it.

Other Info:

If the owners call a cab for you, it will cost you about 150 Cordobas, or six bucks, to go into town. No biggie. Expect that if you want a ride back to the hotel at night to cough up ten bucks.

There is a bank in town in a white building with an ATM sign out front. It is located at the far end of the harbor. After copying your passport, they will provide you currency exchange services. Very nice people. Be sure to take your hat and sunglasses off before you go in, as the security guard will tell you to.

Henry's Iguana serves cold beer and a decent meal for the money. Just be sure to be out of there by 10 pm if you are over 30. Too many teenagers/young adults for an old-timer like me, and the music gets very loud.

There is an excellent restaurant located behind the rear of the Catholic Church downtown. It is open at night. A good local restaurant is located on the road one block over from that. You will know you are in the right spot when you see the whale skull on the wall. One other gets honorable mention. I ate several times at Dave's Big Wave (or something like that... I also drank a lot of beer). The food was reasonably priced, and very good. Beer was cold, and on a Sunday there I got to watch a movie!

If you want to hike around the cove below the hotel, do it at low tide! It is a nice walk, and if you go far enough to the right you end up in a secluded cove with a sand beach.

If you are not adverse to walking to town, then turn left at the bottom of the hill. In about 15 to 20 minutes you will be at a fork in the road that is created by a chain link fence around a pump building. Go to the right. In about 100 yards you will cross a foot bridge, and be in downtown!

Well, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

Room Tip: If you need cool air, then get a room with A/C. Nicaragua gets kind of warm. The fans were fine fo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Wolfgang60747
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Loved El Jardin! The owners were out of town during our stay but the lovely Frenchman who tended to the place while they were gone was Im sure equally as wonderful. Home cooked meals on the patio right outside your room with a fantastic view of the bay right below. The room was clean and the A/C oh so needed! Cheap taxi into town, you cannot really walk, it's far and hot and all uphill. Loved this place, for the price and location, it cannot be beat.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple