“Excellent hotel and stay, but not quite perfect”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Badsworth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and stay, but not quite perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I made a late (same day) booking for the Rogerthorpe Manor and received an excellent rate for Bed & Breakfast. I arrived late in the evening while it was dark, so did not have an opportunity to have a good look at the hotel, nor to try the restaurant or bar. I received a friendly welcome and went to my room which was well appointed with ensuite (including spa bath), trouser press and air-conditioning. I was the sole occupant and the room was fine, but might be a little on the small side for 2 people. My room was in what I suspect was a new wing and perhaps the original rooms in the main part of the manor would be bigger.

Breakfast was excellent. Nice fresh croissants and rolls with real cooked ham (as opposed to manufactured slices) and a selection of cheeses, fruit, cereals and yoghurts. There was an excellent choice of cooked breakfasts including a full Yorkshire breakfast, vegetarian breakfast, smoked salmon with scrambled egg etc. Service was efficient and friendly.

I have 2 minor niggles. Firstly, I called reception to ask for a iron and ironing board in the evening which didn't arrive. In the morning when on my way to breakfast, I asked again and received a genuine apology and, by the time I returned after breakfast, an iron and ironing board were outside my room. However, this could happen anywhere so I will not let if impact my rating.

Secondly the airconditioning unit in the room was rather noisy, so I switched it off before going to bed. This was not an issue for me, but perhaps in the height of the summer it might be. However, there are plenty of hotels in this price bracket which would not have aircon at all.

The building dates back to 1610 and was visually appealing, both internally and externally. I was very happy with my stay. If I had discovered this while touring abroad, particularly at this price, I would have been absolutely delighted.

Room Tip: I have only stayed here once. I would say that my room (27) was a little on the small side. Fine for...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Rogerthorpe, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
26th March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor, we very much appreciate your comments and can assure you that next time you stay it will be perfect as opposed to just excellent!.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

As all our guest's say 'The Best Wedding They've ever been too...' the rooms are all lovely and individual. The food was outstanding and though we had 84 day guests the quality remained impeccable. The drinks including champagne and wine really were free flowing. The staff were all very helpful, attentive and friendly providing a stressfree day which ran so smoothly with a relaxed attmosphere. The grounds and building have enabled stunning photos and though we were lucky with a sunny weekend in Feb (25th Feb 2012) the use of the conservatory makes a good alternative if your not so lucky!!! Overall...Amazing Amazing Amazing....not a bad word to say. We are so impressed and thankful for all the little details and amazing staff. A big thanks to Claire and the whole Rogerthorpe team for giving us the Perfect Wedding.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Rogerthorpe, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
07th March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your honest review on Trip Advisor. I am extremely pleased that your special day was perfect; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Had a Night away with my partner with a meal in the steak restaurant, we had a suite which was gorgeous and spotlessly clean, couldnt fault anything!

Both our meals were perfect and tasted really good, we had all 3 courses and all were very good, perfect portion sizes and very filling.

The staff were very polite from reception to restaurant/bar staff!

Would really reccomend staying here and deffinately would stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

a superby room could not fault the staff they were very friendly and helpful and we had to wait for nothing. the meal at the evening function was lovely, the breakfast the next day was fresh warm and a great choice overall can not fault anything thank you for a great stay will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Rogerthorpe, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your glowing report of the hotel on Trip Advisor, your open and honest review is very much appreciated.

aspatria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed one night on business and paid £65 b/b and evening meal. The evening meal was two course which included sirloin steak,or for an extra £5 filled steak.The meal was very good and the staff were excellent.

Breakfast was very good and the main part was served to your table which was very hot..

I didn't use the pub as this was very busy with the locals, so I used the lounge bar.Saying that, if the locals use the pub it must be good.

The rooms were very comfortable and well kept. The only down side for me was there was not a shower ,but a jacuzzi bath, so it maybe worth a mention when booking.

Over all a very good place to stay

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AspatriaMorgan
Rogerthorpe, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
08th February 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your honest and open review of your recent stay. We do appreciate the time you have taken to reflect our product.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We had a lovely night at the Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel.The suite we had (room 2)was spotless with everything you could wish for. Just ask for a room with a shower cubicle if you have mobility problems.
The meals we had in the 1810 steak restaurant were delicious & very good value £13 for two courses. the breakfast was a good start to anyone's day.
The staff are a credit to this hotel & we will be back.

Room Tip: No view out of room 2 suite but that was no problem to us the room its is beautiful. This room has...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Rogerthorpe, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
01st February 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your honest and open review of the hotel on Trip Advisor.

It is very much appreciated.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Brilliant night was had by all !! The food was excellent 5 star quality, hot, well presented with very efficient service. I have recommended this hotel to my niece for her wedding venue.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank AngelinaWakefield
01st February 2012

Dear Guest,

It is very much appreciated.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Badsworth
Wentbridge House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Pontefract
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
Premier Inn Pontefract North Hotel
Premier Inn Castleford (Xscape, M62 J32) Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!