“A pleasant surprise”

Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Leeds
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Stayed here midweek ,again on a travel zoo deal and was somewhat nervous after some of the reviews I'd read.the lady on reception was lovely and welcoming and took us to our room.I must say I was relieved when it said Jacobean on the door.the room was lovely and spacious,and very clean and tidy.
We ate in the restaurant and the staff were very efficient. The food was lovely and well presented, though I did feel it was slightly overpriced,.We both slept well, maybe all the wine.
Breakfast was great, lots of choice and well presented. The waitress was really friendly.
Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Jacobean room, though on the roadside, reception recommend the Champagne rooms.
1 Thank Lou Lou B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We were looking for a dinner, bed and breakfast package for one night. We had just got married and money was a bit tight... we have visited the Black horse and had a meal the night the got engaged and thought it would be lovely to go back as Mr & Mrs.

We were delighited when they could fit us in at short notice and provide us with what i can onlt describe as a fabulos deal... From enquiring to checking out we could not fault The Black Horse , the staff were so friendly and nothing was to much trouble, we were allocated to one of the chanpagne rooms it was STUNNING far nicer than our our honeymoon suite in the hotel we were married in.... We went to the resturant and the food for AMAZING so tasty the service we didnt relise at the time the owners Andrew and Jane , both visited out table and were so friendly really nice touch. after the meal we went into the bar and were delighted to be asked to join a wonderful group of men visiting from OZ who sang and played the guitar into the wee small hours 10/10 for our visit i cant rate The Black Horse enough and would love to go back soon, full of wonderful memorys. Thankyou to all

Room Tip: The Champagne rooms were across the road , excelent beds very quiet room :)
1 Thank sykeskym
london
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here as part of a deal on travelzoo. The only positive thing I can say about this place is the lady who owns it was lovely and really welcoming/chatty and one of the waiters was really nice too. Everyone else was moody/unwelcoming and acted like they were in a 5* gordon ramsay restaurant. We stayed in the 'gold room'- which was small and badly furnished. The sides were dusty and the area where there was tea had food smudges all over the surface. The bathroom was awful- The shower had hair in it and so did the toilet- We actually popped out to the local tesco to get some cleaning stuff as I just couldn't face going in it and there was no one around to talk to about it as it was a sunday. I had a terrible nights sleep as cars go by constantly. I've read on some reviews here that the location is superb???? Its less than a 5 minute drive from a holiday inn, industrial estates etc...that is not a superb location. I asked the receptionist what there was to do around the area and she said 'not much'. We have paid £85 for a beautiful 4* hotel right opposite windsor castle before and it was STUNNING. This was over priced and honestly just awful. No champagne was offered with the breakfast like it was supposed to be and I was so disappointed in the room I cried 3 times throughout the evening.
Its a shame because the land lady was so lovely but I would NEVER recommend this to place to anyone. oh and to top it all off- we got over charged on drinks and didnt notice till we had left! We were supposed to stay another night but travelzoo messed up the booking- they offered us the chance to still stay and pay but said no and left..which we would have done even if we had secured the booking.

12 Thank bubsy86
Janenorth, Owner at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
All feedback from our guests is important to us, especially any negative comments, it helps us mould and shape our business to exceed the expectations of a discerning clientelle. As a small family run business we are very susceptible to reviews and recommendations, which is why I make every effort to engage with our guests during their stay to elicit feedback, positive or negative.
I have never before felt moved enough to respond to any of the reviews posted on Tripadviser although I do read every one. I chatted freely with this reviewer pre and post dinner and also checked them out at reception when they left. At no time during their stay did they make any negative comment, critisism or show any sign that they were unhappy in any way, to me or any other member of staff. It is with complete astonishment that I read their inaccurate and unfair review, and I respond as follows;
We have a proud record of room cleanliness and a festidious housekeeping team, if the room was in the condition the reviewer alleges, why did they not mention it to me when I spoke to them after they had checked in, or when I spoke to them again that evening after dinner or when I spoke to them again during check out??? On the night in question we were particularly busy and I had additional staff working, and yet the reviewer claims there was no one to talk to!!
Pictures of all our rooms are available on our website, please take a look and let me know if you think any of them look "Awfull".
The comment about lack of sleep suprised me, we are located in a quiet historic village, mentioned in the Doomsday book, - less than 500 homes, a Junior School, two churches, and two Pubs of which we are one. The road adjacent to the Gold room is not a main thoroughfare, it links the village of Clifton with the village of Hartshead, niether of which are renowned to be a hot bed of traffic! Upon checking our CCTV, between the hours of Midnight and 6:00 am on the night the reviewer mentions, four cars, a milk float and a Fox have been recorded on camera!!
As far as our location is concerned I apologise for not being able to offer a view of Windsor Castle, however, our 16th century building made up of a series of individual cottages is located a mile and a half from Junction 25 of the M62 in West Yorkshire. You can not see or hear the motorway, or any industrial activity except a mile and a half away on the route to the Inn. We are four miles from Huddersfield, eight miles from Halifax and 15 miles from Leeds. The village adjoins a small parcel of grazing land for Hereford Cattle and two 18 hole golf courses.
The reviewer asked the receptionist what there was to do in the village, with the exception of some lovely walks there really isn't a great deal to do, however, the area offers an emense choice of activity and there is a visitor information point in our reception area packed with leaflets giving details of regional attractions.
I'm not sure what drinks this reviewer was overcharged for, however, to date they have not been in touch to query any charges and if they do I will gladly deal with the matter.
As far as being overpriced is concerned this reviewer stayed for a rate of £69.00 for two people in a double room including a full Yorkshire Champagne breakfast. Bucks Fizz or champagne were offered at breakfast and declined by both these guests.
I accept that we don't always meet expectations and I will continue to solicit feedback from our guests and strive to continually improve our offering here. However,Tripadviser is designed to allow subjective feedback, not as a forum for malicious, inaccurate comments which when completley unfounded can be unecessarily damaging for business.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A very beautiful old building set in the village of clifton, overlooking brighouse. Literally a 5min drive from the motorway, but felt a million miles away.
We arrived early so could not check in then, but went to bar and took some lunch whilst waiting.

The sevice first of all in excellent. Our thoughts before we got there was that as we are not well to do, or plenty of money type people, it may be a little pretentious. How wrong were we.
Everyone, from the housekeeping, reception, bar, waiting and mangaement were fantastic.

We stayed in the Green room, which was across the courtyard from the main building. Real coffee with and teapot!!! brilliant. good size plush room, with whirlpool bath and good powerful shower.

The other star of this place is the food, and amazing menu, good good quality ingredients. And they DO get really busy. we were there midweek and glad we booked a table.

Cannot recommed this place enough. They also have their own Black Horse inn traditonal ale on hand pump which was lovely.

Have to mention Johnny the waiter, and Im really sorry, didnt get her name but the young blond girl behind the bar, they were fantastic. But again, so was everyone.

Thanks and hope to return to them soon.

2 Thank wales4you
Cadnam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The single room consists of a very poor quality single sprung mattress overlayed with a double polyester duvet presumably to dull the impact of the protruding springs and overlayed with a double mattress cover all of which moves in the night. The pillow offered is a slither of polyester without any pillow protector and even taking the spare polyester pillow doesn't increase a true 'pillow experience', Access to the en suite facility is restricted by the bed, so beware you need to be slim to gain access. If you need to take rest in a chair...forget it there isn't one.

Dirty cockery was given whilst taking an evening bar snack and again my cup on the breakfast table the following morning had obviously escaped any dish washing techniques. First down to breakfast I expected a freshly cooked menu. The bacon I was offered was hard, dark and burnt. This was never in a million years freshly cooked that morning......I was in total disbelief that this could be presented as edible fare. Proceeded to check out.,.... my account had already been discounted. That the account had been discounted was totally irrevelant. I expected and required a good nights sleep in a quality bed with a freshly cooked breakfast in the morning as a bare minimum. I booked and expected a boutique experience as per their advertised crudentials...it didn't even reach basic standards. As it was, I left the Black Horse with a bad back, hungry and I'm still awaiting a promisied call from the manager. The only shinning star was the lovely staff who were very apologetic and showed a degree of empathy to the sub standard single room and service that I had endured . I feel the distant memory of the fairy story of the princess and pea riniging in my ear as I departed with the banner proclaiming the merits of the boutique experience the Black Horse in my rear view mirror.

Room Tip: Whatever you do don't travel as a 'single' person. You will be given the worst rooom ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
13 Thank myrtlecottage
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I went here as a guest for a mid-week lunch as part of a small business group and based upon the reviews probably wouldn’t have booked it myself for a lunch. After the meal my host told me they wouldn’t be back and I certainly wouldn’t go.

We experienced most of the things others have complained about. A dining room that was almost empty but service that was non-existent; a waiter who, when he arrived, was more pretentious than those I have seen in high class French restaurants; food that was ok but portions that would have encouraged me to get a takeaway on the way back to the office. I didn’t pay but having seen the prices not value for money.
A poor experience and a shame because it is a lovey building with real potential. Someone has lost the plot!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
12 Thank OldPos1956
Manchester
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just stayed one night at the Black Horse Inn and we had a lovely time, fantastic service, great rooms with lots of character and an amazingly huge selection of breakfast!

Great value for money, would stay again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shelly-annManchester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
The Waterfront Hotel
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Cambridge Hotel
Cambridge Hotel
#4 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!