“Not for me”

Ranked #1 of 5 Brighouse B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not for me”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The food and ales are superb But I stayed in a room which was possibly the worst room ive slept in, as regards a good nights sleep. The old ceilings/floorboards above, groan and squeak so much that its like the people in the rooms above are about to come through them! I mean the noise was unbearable. Because the couple above me came in at 11.30, then bathed and seemed to walk around for hours with the telly on until the small hours it was impossible to sleep. After 2 hours i ventured out to reception to see if i could be moved but it was closed and finally I explained to the guests upstairs my problem. They were really lovely about it, but even though i sensed they were trying to be quieter, sleep was near impossible. In the morning i found the shower tray did not drain and was still full of water after breakfast. This might have explained the rotten skirting boards? I was surprised how poor the rooms were but again, the food and ales were very good.

Room Tip: take a first floor room at all costs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
10 Thank 502charlottel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Teesside
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Fantastic night before our trip to Cape Verde en route to Manchester Airport.Excellent value and very friendly and hard working staff.We stayed in the Champagne room and this was comfortable with a large bathroom and great shower..Meals were delicious and breakfast was one of the best I have eaten and I'm very fussy.

Booked via Travelzoo.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

There was a lovely friendly atmosphere at The Black Horse Inn, from reception to restaurant through to bar staff. All were attentive but in true Yorkshire fashion unobtrusive! The food is wonderful, our dinner was superb, the olive bread delicious, soft shell crab, lamb, beef shin and ale pie, sticky toffee pudding and lemon tart were mouthwateringly good, and beautifully presented. Breakfast is served until a civilised 10am, everything you can think of, we had Buck's Fizz with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs plus all the usual extras. We stayed in the Mumm room in the champagne house, extremely comfortable and roomy with a large bathroom, bathrobes and toiletries. Everything of course was spotlessly clean. The wedding facilities looked fabulous, we stayed for our anniversary on a Monday night, it wasn't busy but there were plenty of other guests to help the atmosphere. I will definitely recommend The Black Horse.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hilary R
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

With fine food, excellent service and great location what else could you say? The attention to detail is what makes the difference, little added value items on the table and the way food is presented can show how much the management respect their customers. This is how it should be done, thanks for a really good experience. We paid slightly more than normal but it was worth every penny.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My boyfriend (now Fiance) had booked us in to the Black Horse Inn (since we had our first date here 3 years ago) as a surprise where he proposed later that evening after dinner by the log fire in the bar. We stayed in an upstairs room called the Gold Room. Lovely and cosy, comfy bed, decent size room and bathroom. My only suggestion is the need for a full length mirror in the room.

We had not booked a table for dinner but the staff kindly agreed to squeeze us in even though they were fully booked. We enjoyed some delicious food and one of the nicest soups I have ever had.

After the meal, the group in the restaurant were quite rowdy and some of the other guests were also getting agitated by this, so we moved back to the bar next to the log fire which was quiet where we had champagne cocktails. Obviously being over the moon, I was showing everyone I met my ring and I think the staff became quite bored of this!! When we checked out the following morning I told the lady at reception that he proposed and she said "yes, so I heard".....anyway that's no big deal at all but just wish they had done something or made a gesture so I could say that I was more than happy with everything about the Black Horse Inn, unfortunately just something was missing for me in terms of the service because this is a place I will remember forever.

Breakfast was of average standard, small portion and I had to go into the kitchen to find a waitress to get some brown sauce.

There is no doubt we will return to the Black Horse Inn for anniversaries in the years to come to enjoy their wonderful food and the gold room, I just wish I felt that I couldn't wait to return!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kay009
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Location is just off motorway so easy to get to but not in a particularly pretty village, however who needs to go out with the excellent food and service they provide! The staff couldn't do enough, food was Devine (and I never gush about food), room was beautiful and bed probably the best I've ever slept in. We were offered Buck's Fizz with breakfast! Lovely courtyard which I just need to revisit in the sunshine to enjoy a lovely cold glass of delicious wine from their extensive list! Go, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank 443NikkiW
LydiaRussell, Manager at The Black Horse Inn, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. We do try and order sunny days so our guests can enjoy the courtyard but we don't always get them. I do hope we see you back very soon to enjoy a drink in the courtyard.
Thanks again.
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stayed at the black horse last Wednesday on our way to a short break on a barge!! The hotel was really friendly the food and service were top class and we were able to take our small dog with us . it was a good stay and we would stay again. The only downside was that the room although very nice was very small as was the shower room. I think the rooms in the main building were bigger so try to avoid the courtyard.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you fro your kind review. As I am sure you can appreciate with the buildings being 17th century cottages all the rooms are different shapes and sizes, so some bathrooms are smaller than others. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
The Waterfront Hotel
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Cambridge Hotel
Cambridge Hotel
#4 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!