“Great Fish!”

The Golden Hind
Ranked #17 of 74 Restaurants in Brighouse
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I've been coming here for years and generally happy. On my last visit however, something has changed with the fish and it is absolutely brilliant! What ever has changed.. please keep it up! Cheers!

1  Thank AnGus88

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had reason to be in Brighouse and fancied fish and chips for lunch. I'd never heard of The Golden Hind and saw a small number of encouraging reviews on TA.

Got here and parked right outside, so far so good. Then a small sign in the restaurant entrance, "no debit or credit cards taken"! This meant a short trot over to Barclays cashpoint across the canal bridge and eating into my one hour pay and display charge of 50p.

No further problems were encountered and we were fed and watered within 60 minutes.

Despite a few other diners having a meal the one waitress serving on managed to keep things ticking over smoothly. We had a regular Haddock and Chips and a Special Cod and Chips. Served up with tea, bread and butter this came to just £16 in total.

The special cod was as good a fish & chip meal as I've had anywhere. Quality was excellent and suffice to say quantity was easily enough to satisfy the biggest appetite.

Great food and I wish I'd known before about this place. The one downside was another customer who had whistling teeth that made him talk just like Herbert, a character from TV 's Family Guy. Can't blame the restaurant for that though..

1  Thank 1961GaryC
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I used 2 eat in the restaurant with family lots over the years going back to th 90's. The fish and chips were always very good. I didn't go for a few years, then started going again about 5 years ago. It was still very good! But, then it had a refurb and maybe it changed hands, not sure, but we stopped going about 1/2 years ago as we were not keen. The fish was watery and the batter not very nice, the chips were ok though. We tried again today as we thought after all this time it may have chaned again, but no, watery fish, not very nice batter with black bits on from the dirty oil, the bread was stale or just cheap nasty bread, not sure which. Again the chips were ok, but fish not very good. We will stick to Murgatroyds in future.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have been going here for many years as our favourite local fish and chip shop - crispy batter, the whitest fish and the chips are always mouth watering-ly good. We only used to go to the take away but we've recently started going to the restaurant since it was refurbished, which is a lovely little place to eat with the candles lit at night. Staff are friendly - both takeaway and restaurant. There seems to be a good selection of other meals but I always go for the fish and chips. They sell homemade desserts too which are very tempting! Generous portion sizes, good value, great place.

Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

We have been going to the Golden Hind for quite sometime now so feel qualified to write a very positive review. We have never had any cause for concern in any area, the staff are all friendly and very competent waiting time is short however many customers are in, the fish and chips are excellent freshly cooked and served with a smile. The only thing I have ever left is the odd slice of bread. When you arrive in the vast car park you can judge the quality by the busy takeaway shop. If you enjoy good quality food great service and value for money you will appreciate this place.
Big Chips.