“Excellent”

The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Brighouse
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We booked an executive room and stayed here in Feb 2012, as were visiting friends who lived nearby.
To be honest, we werent expecting much, but have to say the Hotel was a delight.
Check in was seamless and friendly and when we went to our room we was initally delighted as it was big and airy. However i soon noticed one of the window catches was almost falling off and this allowed a lot of road noise in. We contacted reception and with a few minutes were given the choice of another two rooms, again one seemed to suffer the window catch problem, but the other was fine. The rooms were very spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also excellent as it was huge, very clean and featured a "proper" bath and a very powerful shower.
On the following day our breakfast was cooked to order as there didnt seem to be many guests staying, which we were told was due to the weather at the time (snow etc!). The quality of the breakfast was very good with the only minor complaint being that our pot of coffee was a little cold.
Overall, for the cost this is one of the best hotels ive stayed in for a long time, its was very clean, comfortable and unusually these days all the staff were very helpful and cheerful.
One tip though, the car park doesnt charge for sunday parking, and stops charging at 6pm on saturday so if your stopping over for a saturday night, just pay up until 6pm as the rest is free (until monday morning that is !).

Room Tip: ask for a room not on the road side as these are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank magoodliffe

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel as a single traveller, on a business/leisure trip. The location was very good for what I needed. On arrival, i was met by a very pleasant receptionist, but I was baffled by the fact that after being given my key, I enquired about having breakfast in my room the following morning, to which the answer was that I had to go up to my room and ring the telephone that was on the desk in front of her, she would then answer the telephone and take my order. ??? After navigating the maze of corridors and fire doors, I got to my room, there was a strange noise coming from the room, which I could actually hear in the corridor (I hadn't opened the door) I went inside to find the noise was in fact the radiator. I rang reception only to be told that she had no idea how to stop the noise. I turned the radiator off which seemed to stop it. I went out..when I came back later that evening, it had started again, this time the only way to stop it was to turn the radiator on full. I did try ringing reception but got no reply, so ended up having to sleep in a relatively small room, with the radiator on full blast, at the foot of the bed. I tried to open the 1st of the 2 windows in the room, but it wouldn't open, the 2nd, I had to climb on the bed, then climb up onto the window sill to be able to reach the part of the window that actually opened.The shower was too small, with no bath mat, I had to use a hand towel, which moved on the floor when I stepped out onto it. It would have been nice if when I handed my key in, the receptionist asked if everything was ok with my stay, instead of taking it out of my hand saying thankyou and turning her back on me, it was almost like they have regular complaints and she was afraid she would have to deal with one. All in all I had 2 hours sleep and a 3 and a half hour drive the next day.....and as for breakfast?...I didn't bother....I was too tired to get up for it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank susan l
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed here for 1 Saturday night in January. Booked the room via late rooms and paid £30 inc breakfast for a standard single room, which was tremendous value for money.

Arrived late afternoon and was meet by very friendly and warm receptionist. I had booked two rooms but only one had shown on the hotels booking system. The problem was quickly rectified. However it would have been interesting if there had been no rooms left.

The room itself overlooked the canel and was very clean and well presented. Although small in size it was very adequate for an overnight stay.

The bathroom was also clean and was complete with a good selection of toiletries. It was on the small side, however my friend who was also staying here had a much larger room and bathroom.

My room was on the first floor and some sound did emanate from the bar below, in particular the sound of "happy birthday". However, it wasn't too loud and didn't detract from the experience.

The breakfast was a hot buffet which was cooked nicely and was well presented and tasty. Eggs were made to order and brought too our table.

The breakfast team were really friendly, with staff taking the time to interact with its guests. The atmosphere was really warm and friendly.

We did not eat at the restaurant prefering to eat at the Witherspoon's pub just around the corner in Bethel Street. This served really good food with a number of local beers on tap. This converted church had a fantastic feeling about the place with a good cross section of people which created a relaxed atmosphere.

To sum up this hotel offers exception value for money, good quality accomadation and some of the best staff I have encountered. The not so budget, budget hotel chains could learn a great deal from this great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank krustyvab
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We were recommended this hotel and were very impressed especially with the locality (right in the town but not noisy). The staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed in an `ordinary` room and the rates were very reasonable. One gripe is that breakfast finished at 9am during the week - would have been better if they`d extended it until at least 9.30am but that aside, the choice of food was very good. The room was clean, although the bathroom was a bit tired - the loo cistern was noisy and the shower kept slipping down the bracket which was a bit of a nuisance.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Hotel is a maze of corridors and stairs, so think it once was a converted mill, but none of that former ambiance remains. What there is, however, is a modern and very clean hotel with every convenience required for short breaks. Room was spacious and we had an executive room so the bed was enormous/very comfortable. Tea and coffee, trouser press, minibar, flat screen tv etc provided - all good quality . Breakfast was included which was excellent and you could help yourself to as much/little as you would want. There was a bar and restaurant which we didn't get the opportunity to try but it seemed reasonably priced. Parking is no problem in carpark behind hotel, next to canal - 60p per hour and free after 6pm and the hotel is in the centre of the town. Really couldn't fault this hotel which although it would come under a basic style category, provides everything you could want from a more expensive chain at an excellent price. Staff were lovely too!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mgtact
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed for 1 night as was attending a wedding nearby and was suprised at how good the hotel was considering the bargain price. The room was quite small but was very clean and comfortable. The staff, breakfast and location are all excellent and I would highly recommend a stay here if you are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Spur of the moment booking as we were travelling to attend a Christening in nearby Mirfield. We were corteously received by reception, formalities completed and went to a very acceptable bedroom with all facilities, clean tidy and very comfortable. Ate in Prego inclusive in our booking. Italian food as it should be, Superb hospitality in the restaurant who were able to accomodate 3 extra people and two very small babies. Nothing was too much trouble. Comfortable nights sleep and a really hearty breakfast on the Sunday morning. Will be back to explore the area further as soon as we can. 10 out of 10

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel
Gomersal Park Hotel
Gomersal Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gomersal

Been to The Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!