“Not the best ----------” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Waterfront Hotel

The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Brighouse
“Not the best ----------”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Room we have had at the Waterfront, but booked with late rooms in the morning for a one night stay the same night, so hardly expected anything else! £50 for a Saturday night B&B in a double room, good sized really comfy bed, excellent shower, room temperature - you decide ! Proper big mugs for an early morning brew.
Booked Pregos restaurant for 7pm, got a good table on a very busy party evening, the food and wine were good value for money, as were the the post drinks at the bar. My wife wanted a brandy cocktail but didn't fancy anything off the drinks menu, a conversation with one of the bar staff resulted in a cocktail list printed off the internet, still couldn't find one to suit, good customer service that needs to be recognised.
The breakfast as always was very good on choice and the extra touch of how do you want your, and how many eggs would you like is a good touch. The breakfast room with the sun shining through, newspapers available, a delight - A £50 bargain!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Idleboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Katrineholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, the price was reasonable. But the overall feel of the carpets and decor was slightly old. The building is a converted old mill located on a canal in the centre of Brighouse. The carpark outside isn't owned by the hotel but the local council so is payable Mon-Sat 8am-6pm. Its 60p per hour. Many guests were rushing out (including myself) sleepily half dressed at 7.55am in a race to beat the over zealous Parking Attendant hovering round the corner . Make sure you have plenty of spare change for the no change giving pay and display machine . There is a very pleasant and beautiful walk along the canal which stretches all the way to Todmorden. There are plenty of nice shops in the small town of Brighouse including a large Tesco and Sainsburys alongside many more traditional shops and small pubs. The traffic in Brighouse is quite heavy though. There is quite a busy bar open to the public at night in the hotel and most of them seemed respectable and non rowdy . The reception staff and breakfast waitresses were on the whole very pleasant and helpful. Except one young thin boy who worked as a bar attendant I encountered twice let the place down by being rude , untrained and speaking disrespectfully to me with an abrupt upperty manner ( There always one!). The Breakfast however was a delight with lots of choice and pleasantly served by the young waitresses.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank neil t
WaterfrontLodgeHotel, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

You are right that some aspects of the hotel do need upgrading, as in any established hotel. This is why we are refurbishing our standard bedrooms from January 2014. This will be completed with no disruption to our guests or services.

The car park is Council owned and it is pay & display at 60p per hour. It is free overnight, from 6pm, and free on Sundays. The machines do accept payments for the following day; so there is no need to go outside at 7.55am to put a ticket on your car; simply pay from the day before until the time you are planning to leave. We are more than happy to change notes to coins for parking.

I am very pleased you enjoyed breakfast and found our staff to be pleasant and helpful. I will be speaking to the bar staff, as we expect all our team to be friendly and professional at all times. I would like to apologise if you found anyone to be anything else.

We hope to see you again when you are next in the UK.

Kind Regards

Fiona Walker
Hotel Manager
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel. Comfortable bed. Free and reasonably fast wifi internet in room. As the free wifi is everywhere in Estonian public premises it irritates me if traveling and there is lack of internet access. It is like a human right for Estonian as me. Bathroom was a bit cold. Good breakfast with many options.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Although good value, standard rooms very small, bathrooms very tight. On the plus side service and food good. Reception staff very helpful and friendly. Was informed in house restaurant was excellent. Hotel is on a subsiduary of the river

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Uckfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the 5/11/13. I had booked it through Laterooms and with a £10 discount on the room it meant is was a better option than a Premier Inn....I was wrong. I was swung to choose this hotel due to the Jacuzzi Bath in the Luxury Room and frankly I was beyond disappointed. The instructions where above the bath and I followed them to the letter and couldn't get it to work. Only when I got out did I find another sign on the opposite wall above the towel rail informing me that the power switch was outside the room for the bath and towel rail. I then had to hunt for said switch as they didn't tell you were it was. The Room was very cold and I had the only Key in the whole hotel. Their doors work on a key fob system but at my door handle was smashed to pieces they had had to revert to a proper Key. I took me several minute to even get out of my room in the morning. The Sheets and bed looked dirty and the overall quality of the room was not even close to what I would call Luxury. When I mentioned the above issues on checkout I was told the room was already discounted and there was nothing that could be done about it. The only good thing about the place was the restaurant, the food was excellent, the service was a bit lacking though but I have had much worse.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal or car park are quieter as the rest of them overlook a main room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
WaterfrontLodgeHotel, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was sorry to read that you found your room disappointing.

The Jacuzzi bath does require the power switch to be turned on. It is normally switched on by housekeeping. However on the chance that it is turned off, the power switches are labelled and located just outside the bathroom and, you are correct that there is a notice in the bathroom, next to the sink, which informs you where the switches are located.

All our executive rooms have their own heating; which can be controlled by our guests, allowing you to set your preferred room temperature. The heaters are left on a timer but with a flick of a switch can be changed to manual. Instructions for use are also provided within the Guest Information folder.

You are correct that the door system works with key fobs. The fob-style door lock on this particular bedroom was faulty and therefore has been converted to an ‘ordinary’ key while the lock is repaired. The door is still in full working order and I can assure you that it is just as secure as the fob system. As with all our rooms, there is a guest key, master key and housekeeping key.

We urge any guest who finds something they are not completely satisfied with to report it to reception immediately. All our team are happy to help and would try resolve any issue quickly.

It does not matter what rate any guests pay for a room; the room should be ready for our guests and you should be completely satisfied with your room. As mentioned, if reported straight away, most issues can be resolved immediately, ensuring you have an enjoyable stay. Any maintenance issues reported on check-out are logged and dealt with accordingly.

I do hope that you would choose to stay with us again, as you can see from our other reviews, the hotel and our team normally receive very positive feedback. We have a range of rooms and we would be happy for you to view a selection when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards

Fiona Walker
Hotel Manager
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Have stayed here several times over the last couple of years and never been disappointed. Very reasonable rates, clean comfortable rooms in this former mill building [ but avoid those directly overlooking the air-con unit and try for a canal view] municipal parking outside, and an excellent in-house restaurant, 'Prego', superbly run by Vittorio and his efficient and friendly staff. Great Italian food, whether for small parties or large functions - popular for family birthdays. Very well placed for walking along the canal bank, either up to the basin or as far as you desire in the other direction;oldest continuously used canal in England. A stone's throw from an interesting and busy small town centre. Good local market nearby on Wed and Sat. All staff have always been most helpful and friendly. My only complaint is no real ale on the premises, but there's an excellent choice in town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Jo and the rest of the Reception Team always make my team welcome here when I have my team meeting up North. Great rooms, cracking location and a great price.

I personally stayed here on my 40th (along with several other friends), everyone thought the food and rooms had been excellent. Well done Jo and the rest of the Waterfront Lodge team. We'll be back soon

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Premier Inn Huddersfield North Hotel
#12 of 17 in Huddersfield
BEST WESTERN Pennine Manor Hotel
BEST WESTERN Pennine Manor Hotel
#11 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to The Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!