“Best way to describe is "ok"”

The Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Brighouse
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here on 12th April 2014, we stayed in a standard room.

Room:

The room was very small, even for us, however for the price paid we could hardly complain about the size, the layout of the room however was a bit strange with a seemingly pointless alcove style part next to the window, would of been better (and larger) if they had just kept it to being a square room. The view we had was of the canal which was lovely unless you looked directly in front of you, then you are just looking at graffiti and buildings etc. The bed was incredibly soft (I prefer a harder mattress) I understand to cater for everyone's tastes in mattress firmness is both impossible and impractical however maybe just go for a middle of the road medium mattress?? Finally regarding the room they do look a little tired and old if I am honest, I know that you are looking to refurbish the rooms throughout 2014 because of one of your replies to a review previously on here.

Parking:

Their is no parking at this hotel, that said their is a hotel directly at the hotel however it is pay and display, it is 60p per hour, but free from 6pm till 8am every morning. This not such an issue to us because we were their at 4pm and it was sunday the next day so was free, however throughout the rest of the week if you were checking in at 2pm you would have to pay £2.40 to cover you till 6pm then someone has to get up at 8am just to get a ticket for the car till checkout. Their are free car parks around granted however if like in our cases you are attending a party or have lots of luggage this is impractical.

Hotel Itself:

The hotel itself is very smartly presented and we were pleasantly surprised upon first arrival however it is definitely more of a restaurant business than a lodge.....seems a bit lost within itself. I would suggest a brand remarketing for the hotel itself.

The rest of this review has been constructive criticism HOWEVER I am afraid I do have three major complaints:

1) The hotel does have a lift, however it is VERY small, the sign on the inside states it can fit 5 people at 69kg this is however 2 stone each person, I think I weighed more than that when I was born!!! However due to the size their is no way you could fit 5 people in their anyway. This was the least of our problems as after getting in the lift shortly after the 1st floor the lift stopped and got jammed. I managed to open the inside door (I forgot to mention this is an old style lift) and I was confronted with the first floor door half way below us, our only option was to press the alarm button on the lift, we did so but it does not make any sound or visual (light) demonstration that it has been recognised or the alarm is actually working, this is disgraceful, my girlfriend and I both don't like being in small confined spaces and to stand their thinking the alarm button doesn't work either made the situation worse. We got the telephone number of the hotel and rang from our mobile phones however NO ONE answered!!! Granted this was because you were on your way to help us, but we were not to know this, therefore the alarm button was obviously working but with no visual or audio way of knowing we started to panic and to couple that with no one answering the phone made the situation quite scary for us both. After 5 minutes we heard voices outside and you eventually managed to open the lift door after fiddling for a further 3 minutes with keys, we eventually got out of the lift by jumping out of the hole, to be greeted with who I presume was the manager to say "Sorry about that" is that it? really??? that's all you are going to say?

The second complaint is the bar staff at night, we had been to our family party in the evening and came back to the hotel at about 11:40 I asked at reception if we could get a nightcap at the bar to which he said yes, great, however after ordering the drinks and paying it then took about 10 minutes to get our change, mainly because the member of staff did not have a clue on how to use the till, we watched him struggling for 5 minutes, I almost came around to help him, I felt sorry for him if anything else. The reason its a complaint is because your staff obviously need training on the till system or at least that member of staff.

Thirdly and finally....The breakfast, we came down in the morning to have breakfast, the breakfast area is very pleasant and was adequately stocked which was pleasing to the eye however their were a lot of dirty tables infact so many we ended up sitting on a table with no table cloth etc. We decided on a full English for our breakfast however were not told that we had to order poached eggs or hash browns, until we had collected half of the other ingredients from the gastronome trays, the waitress then asked if we would like eggs, I asked for a poached egg and a hash brown and my girlfriend asked for a fried egg and a hash brown, the waitress then asked my girlfriend if she wanted toast but not me? I didn't anyway, but found it bizarre that she only asked my partner. We then sat down to realise their was no cutlery, after waiting a few minutes I had to go down to the kitchen area and ask for cutlery myself to which a young girl (waitress) gave them to me.
We sat down and started to eat our breakfast, we had finished the rest of our breakfast when our eggs and hash browns arrived, so we went up and grabbed a few more items from the gastronomes and sat back down, at this point the waitress asked us if we would like to move to a table with a table cloth, to be honest she was quite abrupt and I thought it was very strange, why would you ask someone to move when they have been eating their breakfast for 10 minutes already, the only reason I believe is because it easier to clean up a table cloth than wipe a table.
The eggs we had ordered were TERRIBLE the yolks were rock hard, chances are they are all served like this because its less offensive than runny to the masses, however I would suggest telling the customers this or to be honest why are you not offering the choice, its an egg it doesn't take that long (even though it took 10 minutes for a poached and a fried egg) my girlfriends egg was absolutely dripping with oil, I tasted the oil and it was olive oil, you do not cook a fried egg in olive oil it cant hold the high heat and will split causing a very oily egg, its designed for dressings and taste etc. We didn't bother asking for a replacement as it would of took too long.

I am sorry I have been quite abrupt about the breakfast however I am a Chef and run my own catering company and have worked for some very renowned names so food is very close to my heart im afraid.

Overall we would go back because the area of Brighouse was lovely and the things I have brought up could be rectified but I think we should of been offered something for the lift drama as that really was unacceptable.

Room Tip: I would upgrade by the sounds of all the other reviews
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
WaterfrontLodgeHotel, General Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Matthew,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such detailed feedback about your stay. We always appreciate feedback however constructive & we always try & act upon it if we can. Obviously in cases like the car park, things are beyond our control as it is council owned although we do make a point of informing our guests that they can overpay the meter in the evening so they do not have to get up so early to do it in the morning. As for the canal view we actually organise a regular ‘canal clear up’ where volunteers from the local community help clear the area of rubbish & graffiti. The next one is on Sunday 11th May.
Please let me apologise for the issue with the lift. I was really hoping you would come to reception on check out as unfortunately even though the receptionist in the evening asked for your room number you mustn’t have heard her so I was unsure which guest it was in the morning to be able to apologise to. However I must point out that the sign on the lift states 5 people, 375kg (59 stone). As you will probably be aware the lift engineer came out within a couple of hours and the lift was repaired that evening. I am very sorry for what must have been a very upsetting experience but I wish to assure you that we had a new lift installed at the beginning of the year & it is serviced regularly.

We have clearly failed to cater for your expectations with regards to breakfast & bar service and take your comments very seriously. If you wish to contact me privately, please email me at info@waterfrontlodge.co.uk . I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Jo Campbell
Reception Manager.

There are newer reviews for The Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We chose the Waterfront because of its central location. It is OK, but not great. Good and helpful welcome from staff. Our standard room was barely adequate - just about room for two plus luggage. Bathroom also incredibly small. If I was a 'large' person I simply don't know how I could have used the toilet! The room had all the necessary bits and pieces - so that is good. Furniture a bit tired but OK. Free wifi worked well - a necessary big plus these days. Breakfast in adjacent restaurant good.
We have stayed previously and booked an Executive room and this was much better - even up to five stars.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stopped (as many seemed to) for a meeting in Brighouse the following day. Stopped in a Executive room and it was truly lovely. One of the best nights sleep I've had in a hotel for weeks.

The bed is very soft which suited me fine, but might put others off, the shower was powerful and the bathroom huge compared to many. The addition of wine glasses, a minibar and plenty of tea/coffee made the room stand out from so many others.

Ordered room service, and was not charged! The food from Preggo was wonderful and I would suggest you check it out.

Will be returning.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The room was tiny but clean. The bathroom was also clean but very tatty, the shower is minuscule. The whole place needs a makeover. Breakfast was ok but the waitress clearly learned her skills at the Chairman Mao school of charm. But hey it was only £25 a head bed and breakfast.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
WaterfrontLodgeHotel, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do agree that some of our rooms are starting to look a little tired. Throughout 2014 we will be undertaking an extensive refurbishment programme of our standard rooms, the first of which was completed last week with new modern wet room style bathroom.
We do however take exception to your comment regarding our breakfast supervisor which we do find offensive. All our staff are fully trained to our usual high standards and we pride ourselves on the lovely comments we receive regarding the friendliness and helpful attitude of our team. If you experienced a service standard that fell below this level then we apologise for this & we would be happy to discuss this with you in a constructive manner.
We hope you will stay with us again in the future, perhaps in one of our newly refurbished rooms or one of our executive or deluxe rooms.

Kind regards
Joanna Campbell
Reception Manager

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Brighouse was never on my list of places to visit, but work dictated it necessary and Waterfront Lodge was the venue. Easily accessible by train (from Leeds or Manchester) the hotel is about a three-minute walk from the station. There is also parking outside the hotel, but requires payment between 8am and 6pm.

My room on the second floor was small with not much space to move around, but as I was staying alone and had no luggage it wasn’t a problem. The bathroom was a little uninspired and the shower door appeared to be missing and replaced with a shower curtain.

The bed had the softest mattress I have ever come across in a hotel and it wasn’t great, I can’t believe anybody likes such a soft mattress.

The bar downstairs was decent and although I didn’t use the restaurant it looked good.

If you’re travelling as a couple, or you don’t like soft mattresses, you may want to consider other options in the area, although the Waterfront Lodge is the only hotel in the centre of Brighouse.

1  Thank MrHandBaggageOnly
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked this hotel purely for it’s close location to an early meeting I had the following morning. The hotel is situated close to Brighouse town centre, car park is at the rear of the hotel (follow Bethel street) and is a pay and display car park (60p per hour upto 6pm and after 8am). Beware parking attendants are very aggressive with this enforcement so don’t leave to chance, the receptionist will tell you the same. I was welcomed with a smile at reception and told everything I needed to know, my room was on the first floor and I booked a single room just for price & convenience. The single room I got was adequate for the money paid, all frills and comfortable bed, floor creaked like a teenage couple's bed but that would have bothered the person below rather than me and the room was hotter than ghandi's flip-flop, I could not open the window.
The hotel is adjoining with “Prego” restaurant, ate here two courses for £12.95 which was an ok deal, mains off the menu looked expensive for what they were.
I did not get a chance to sample breakfast as I had an early start the following morning. If you are a late riser in the morning I assume you will need to feed the parking meter again at 8am however 60p an hour isn’t going to break the bank, I’ve paid £12 per hour down south!
All in all a good stay for the price paid, but wouldn't have paid more than £50 a night.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The room was very small and basic and needed to be updated old dated shower curtain the sink a big crack across .
The bed was comfy and good quality bedding .
Instead of glass they had plastic ones I've never seen this before
We paid £45 got the room it should have been £65 I would have been gutted if I had paid that .
Not a bad hotel but a great reastraunt

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighouse
Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Briar Court Hotel
Briar Court Hotel
#11 of 17 in Huddersfield

Been to The Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!