Myself and my girlfriend stayed here on 12th April 2014, we stayed in a standard room.
The room was very small, even for us, however for the price paid we could hardly complain about the size, the layout of the room however was a bit strange with a seemingly pointless alcove style part next to the window, would of been better (and larger) if they had just kept it to being a square room. The view we had was of the canal which was lovely unless you looked directly in front of you, then you are just looking at graffiti and buildings etc. The bed was incredibly soft (I prefer a harder mattress) I understand to cater for everyone's tastes in mattress firmness is both impossible and impractical however maybe just go for a middle of the road medium mattress?? Finally regarding the room they do look a little tired and old if I am honest, I know that you are looking to refurbish the rooms throughout 2014 because of one of your replies to a review previously on here.
Their is no parking at this hotel, that said their is a hotel directly at the hotel however it is pay and display, it is 60p per hour, but free from 6pm till 8am every morning. This not such an issue to us because we were their at 4pm and it was sunday the next day so was free, however throughout the rest of the week if you were checking in at 2pm you would have to pay £2.40 to cover you till 6pm then someone has to get up at 8am just to get a ticket for the car till checkout. Their are free car parks around granted however if like in our cases you are attending a party or have lots of luggage this is impractical.
The hotel itself is very smartly presented and we were pleasantly surprised upon first arrival however it is definitely more of a restaurant business than a lodge.....seems a bit lost within itself. I would suggest a brand remarketing for the hotel itself.
The rest of this review has been constructive criticism HOWEVER I am afraid I do have three major complaints:
1) The hotel does have a lift, however it is VERY small, the sign on the inside states it can fit 5 people at 69kg this is however 2 stone each person, I think I weighed more than that when I was born!!! However due to the size their is no way you could fit 5 people in their anyway. This was the least of our problems as after getting in the lift shortly after the 1st floor the lift stopped and got jammed. I managed to open the inside door (I forgot to mention this is an old style lift) and I was confronted with the first floor door half way below us, our only option was to press the alarm button on the lift, we did so but it does not make any sound or visual (light) demonstration that it has been recognised or the alarm is actually working, this is disgraceful, my girlfriend and I both don't like being in small confined spaces and to stand their thinking the alarm button doesn't work either made the situation worse. We got the telephone number of the hotel and rang from our mobile phones however NO ONE answered!!! Granted this was because you were on your way to help us, but we were not to know this, therefore the alarm button was obviously working but with no visual or audio way of knowing we started to panic and to couple that with no one answering the phone made the situation quite scary for us both. After 5 minutes we heard voices outside and you eventually managed to open the lift door after fiddling for a further 3 minutes with keys, we eventually got out of the lift by jumping out of the hole, to be greeted with who I presume was the manager to say "Sorry about that" is that it? really??? that's all you are going to say?
The second complaint is the bar staff at night, we had been to our family party in the evening and came back to the hotel at about 11:40 I asked at reception if we could get a nightcap at the bar to which he said yes, great, however after ordering the drinks and paying it then took about 10 minutes to get our change, mainly because the member of staff did not have a clue on how to use the till, we watched him struggling for 5 minutes, I almost came around to help him, I felt sorry for him if anything else. The reason its a complaint is because your staff obviously need training on the till system or at least that member of staff.
Thirdly and finally....The breakfast, we came down in the morning to have breakfast, the breakfast area is very pleasant and was adequately stocked which was pleasing to the eye however their were a lot of dirty tables infact so many we ended up sitting on a table with no table cloth etc. We decided on a full English for our breakfast however were not told that we had to order poached eggs or hash browns, until we had collected half of the other ingredients from the gastronome trays, the waitress then asked if we would like eggs, I asked for a poached egg and a hash brown and my girlfriend asked for a fried egg and a hash brown, the waitress then asked my girlfriend if she wanted toast but not me? I didn't anyway, but found it bizarre that she only asked my partner. We then sat down to realise their was no cutlery, after waiting a few minutes I had to go down to the kitchen area and ask for cutlery myself to which a young girl (waitress) gave them to me.
We sat down and started to eat our breakfast, we had finished the rest of our breakfast when our eggs and hash browns arrived, so we went up and grabbed a few more items from the gastronomes and sat back down, at this point the waitress asked us if we would like to move to a table with a table cloth, to be honest she was quite abrupt and I thought it was very strange, why would you ask someone to move when they have been eating their breakfast for 10 minutes already, the only reason I believe is because it easier to clean up a table cloth than wipe a table.
The eggs we had ordered were TERRIBLE the yolks were rock hard, chances are they are all served like this because its less offensive than runny to the masses, however I would suggest telling the customers this or to be honest why are you not offering the choice, its an egg it doesn't take that long (even though it took 10 minutes for a poached and a fried egg) my girlfriends egg was absolutely dripping with oil, I tasted the oil and it was olive oil, you do not cook a fried egg in olive oil it cant hold the high heat and will split causing a very oily egg, its designed for dressings and taste etc. We didn't bother asking for a replacement as it would of took too long.
I am sorry I have been quite abrupt about the breakfast however I am a Chef and run my own catering company and have worked for some very renowned names so food is very close to my heart im afraid.
Overall we would go back because the area of Brighouse was lovely and the things I have brought up could be rectified but I think we should of been offered something for the lift drama as that really was unacceptable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Air conditioning & mini bars are available in our executive and deluxe rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms and Cancelon so you can book your The Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waterfront Hotel Brighouse
- The Waterfront Hotel Brighouse, West Yorkshire