“A pleasure to stay”

Gomersal Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gomersal
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I booked this through a Groupon offer. This is the first time I have used Groupon for a hotel stay and for £75 for 2 people for two nights including breakfast and a drink each on arrival I must say I was not expecting much. Oh how wrong I was.
1. The staff - throughout our 2 days they were all excellent. All smiled, were friendly, greeted and chatted at an appropriate level. Waiting staff were observant and we did not wait long to be shown to a table for breakfast, to be given tea/coffee, for milk/sauces to be replenished and at dinner on the 1st night the waitress knew the menu and could make recommendations. Staff were courteous and I must say they really could not do enough to make the stay pleasurable.
2. The rooms - good sized room and bathroom which had a rarity in it.... a window!! The room was clean, the bed comfy enough and the heating was by radiator which could be self controlled. I only have a few niggles about the room but not enough to spoil my stay. Like much of the hotel a bit a refurb is needed, would prefer a good sized mirror at the desk for drying hair rather than the shaving size one provided. In order to have bedside lights on the main wall light had to be on as well. provided. Whilst there was a small wardrobe there were no drawers other than 2 tiny ones in a desk.
3. Food - we ate in the restaurant on the 1st night and really enjoyed the meal. Portions were generous, food piping hot and had been as freshly cooked as time allows. Breakfast was similarly excellent. It is buffet style but everything is really hot, replenished regularly (particularly important to me is that fried eggs are not left to go hard under the heat lights). Coffee was good and strong.
4. The spa - This is what kind of lets the hotel down a little. Although clean, it could do with some serious refurbishment as the impression given is that it is not. The pool is small and would not do for a serious swim but for relaxing and having a few strokes up and down it is fine. The sauna and jacuzzi are good and although not massive are adequate for the size of the hotel. I booked a full massage on the final morning which was exception value for money at only £25 for an hour. The massage was very good, although only plain almond oil was used which could have done with being warmed before applying. The therapist was very good, very attentive and ensured the pressure was spot on. I felt relaxed afterwards but the experience might have been better had the room been more pleasant. It had office style suspended ceiling, carpet tiles which did not meet at the joins and had not been vacuumed, it was cramped and the lighting was more like a low wattage bulb or dimmer had been used rather than soft lights. The waiting room was dark and the furniture is seriously out of date and worn looking.
5. Bits and bobs - although there was a wedding on the 1st full day and 2nd night of our stay it was barely noticeable. Having stayed at other hotels where nights have been ruined by noise and rowdy guests the hotel seemed to have ensured that wedding guests were in rooms away from non wedding guests. The lounge/bar was nice and relaxed with comfy sofas although these are looking past their best. Lovely lawns outside which are well maintained.
Overall impression - a lovely individual hotel which is so much better than chain hotels. It clearly needs some refurbishment but that did not stop me from having a lovely time and only emphasised that with the right staff who have the right attitudes hotel guests can be very forgiving of minor grumbles. Would I have felt differently had I paid the normal price of (on laterooms.com) £196 without the welcome drink? Unlikely, as the overall experience was so good.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 4evaLFC
Gavin_Jack, General Manager at Gomersal Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and for all of your feedback.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your very kind comments.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

My Wife and I stayed here this past weekend for one night. Hotel is very grand looking and sits in large grounds with lots of car parking spaces. We booked through Groupon for £39 which was an absolute bargain, especially as it included buffet breakfast the next morning and a free drink each. All staff were excellent and took a real interest in making our stay comfortable. The Irish lady on reception in particular was very helpful, even providing my Wife with a toothbrush when we mentioned in passing that she had forgotten to bring hers! We had three courses in the hotel restaurant for our evening meal which was nice and we felt was reasonably priced, costing around £55 including drinks. Even though there was a wedding at the hotel at the same time we weren't waiting long for food and the service was very good. Our room was fine , comfy bed and not dated as others have said. We used the pool and sauna shortly after arrival which was refreshing although this area is quite small and soon got busy. Hotel is very well placed for nice walks nearby and short drive to other areas of interest in Yorkshire.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Booked one night group on deal,. Place was fine, little tatty at the edges but overall nice place. Room was fine and bed was usual standard quality so not sure what some people complain about. It is a large hotel so reasonable walk to room etc but to be expected. Didn't use the leisure centre as I was too occupied enjoying myself. Bar prices are not much higher than elsewhere so OK to stay in.
Staff are very happy people and evening meal was exactly as was described- excellent and very happy I dined in the restaurant.
Breakfast was OK but not worth the headline price. Saying that I didnt get down until 9.45 and it stops at 10 (very reasonable time) so it could be better earlier in the morning.
Finished breakfast with a very pleasant coffee on the patio looking over the grounds.
All in all I was very happy with the stay. Good value and quality.

Even better is the pub five minutes away, The Scotland. Really nice, friendly, and very popular.

1  Thank David M

Reviewed 13 May 2012

stayed last night on a groupon voucher and found it to be worth every penny,
the room was fine,the staff were very frendly,and the gardens and grounds
was a great sight in the may sunshine.
the only gripe was the price of drinks at the bar( last night i paid a record price
of £4.50 for a magners)
but overall well done to the staff and management,we will be back

Reviewed 12 May 2012

i am another who booked through groupon, i have to say i had a really enjoyable stay here. the building is lovely, gym facilities very good although pool is small. food was great, and the staff were very helpfull. man on front desk took many minutes of his day to help me with attraction locations in and around the yorkshire area and provided me with great directions. i give my stay a 5 out of 5 and would love to stay there again :)

1  Thank sarmstrong86

Reviewed 12 May 2012

I had the misfortune of staying here on business for one night in conjunction with meeting a colleague for dinner who lived local to Gomersal.

When driving up to the hotel, it looks quite grand - but once inside its not very nice at all and my room was tawdy and was in dire need of redecorating.

The dinner was also really poor and i wont be going back there...!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank papasteve1961

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We take all feedback very seriously, both good and bad. We know we are not perfect but we do care about trying to do things better. This is why we ask all our guests, as we would have done this reviewer if they enjoyed their experience. If, as in this case we are told that everything is fine and no issues are raised during their stay or even paying their bill then we have no opportunity to say sorry to make things right.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

stayed here last week, booked through groupon which was a bargain. on first impression the hotel building looked impressive, inside was clean though needs a refurb in places, staff where excellent. reception first class couldnt do enough and very pleasant. gym was ok as was the small pool. rooms ok not great but not as bad as mentioned in earlier posts. food was super very nicely presented ample portions, great value 3 course came to less than £25 not thats good for a 3* homemade menu. waiting staff attentaive and polite, manager was a girl called vicky, (we heard the bar staff call her) ity does state on the menu food specials quickly run out and when there gone there gone! and not it changes everyday as stated below posted!!! i had the fishcakes which were super and venison with mini pie, breakfast was again great, plenty to choose from, i couldnt find a fault staff again hardworking, overall our stay was great, will book again for sure.

well done gomersal park

Room Tip: book a table, dont be dissapointed