I booked this through a Groupon offer. This is the first time I have used Groupon for a hotel stay and for £75 for 2 people for two nights including breakfast and a drink each on arrival I must say I was not expecting much. Oh how wrong I was.
1. The staff - throughout our 2 days they were all excellent. All smiled, were friendly, greeted and chatted at an appropriate level. Waiting staff were observant and we did not wait long to be shown to a table for breakfast, to be given tea/coffee, for milk/sauces to be replenished and at dinner on the 1st night the waitress knew the menu and could make recommendations. Staff were courteous and I must say they really could not do enough to make the stay pleasurable.
2. The rooms - good sized room and bathroom which had a rarity in it.... a window!! The room was clean, the bed comfy enough and the heating was by radiator which could be self controlled. I only have a few niggles about the room but not enough to spoil my stay. Like much of the hotel a bit a refurb is needed, would prefer a good sized mirror at the desk for drying hair rather than the shaving size one provided. In order to have bedside lights on the main wall light had to be on as well. provided. Whilst there was a small wardrobe there were no drawers other than 2 tiny ones in a desk.
3. Food - we ate in the restaurant on the 1st night and really enjoyed the meal. Portions were generous, food piping hot and had been as freshly cooked as time allows. Breakfast was similarly excellent. It is buffet style but everything is really hot, replenished regularly (particularly important to me is that fried eggs are not left to go hard under the heat lights). Coffee was good and strong.
4. The spa - This is what kind of lets the hotel down a little. Although clean, it could do with some serious refurbishment as the impression given is that it is not. The pool is small and would not do for a serious swim but for relaxing and having a few strokes up and down it is fine. The sauna and jacuzzi are good and although not massive are adequate for the size of the hotel. I booked a full massage on the final morning which was exception value for money at only £25 for an hour. The massage was very good, although only plain almond oil was used which could have done with being warmed before applying. The therapist was very good, very attentive and ensured the pressure was spot on. I felt relaxed afterwards but the experience might have been better had the room been more pleasant. It had office style suspended ceiling, carpet tiles which did not meet at the joins and had not been vacuumed, it was cramped and the lighting was more like a low wattage bulb or dimmer had been used rather than soft lights. The waiting room was dark and the furniture is seriously out of date and worn looking.
5. Bits and bobs - although there was a wedding on the 1st full day and 2nd night of our stay it was barely noticeable. Having stayed at other hotels where nights have been ruined by noise and rowdy guests the hotel seemed to have ensured that wedding guests were in rooms away from non wedding guests. The lounge/bar was nice and relaxed with comfy sofas although these are looking past their best. Lovely lawns outside which are well maintained.
Overall impression - a lovely individual hotel which is so much better than chain hotels. It clearly needs some refurbishment but that did not stop me from having a lovely time and only emphasised that with the right staff who have the right attitudes hotel guests can be very forgiving of minor grumbles. Would I have felt differently had I paid the normal price of (on laterooms.com) £196 without the welcome drink? Unlikely, as the overall experience was so good.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Gomersal Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gomersal Park Hotel West Yorkshire