“Felt like we were eating in the store room”

The Dusty Miller Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hebden Bridge
The Dusty Miller Inn
Ranked #21 of 22 Hebden Bridge B&B and Inns
UK
“Felt like we were eating in the store room”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This pub has suffered badly due to flooding in the past and was closed for a year. It has been refurbished nicely & had the chance to shine last weekend as The Tour De France past.
We were booked in for 7pm as a group of 9 for a meal, the restaurant was running 20 mins late which wasn't a problem. When we did get seated the restaurant was half empty, just 2 people sat behind us, in fact my seat was so close to the lady behind we couldn't move, yet every other table was empty.
The pub serves a carvery on a Sunday so they were preparing for this, which meant all the catering equipment & boxes were piled high next to our table which became my view for the evening.., hence the feeling of sat in a store cupboard.
For both courses our food was served hot and at the same time, which is great for a group of 9. I ordered seabass, my partner fish & chips, apart from batter there was no difference, the seabass appeared to be deep fried. In fact everything seemed to be deep fried.
We had a view of the kitchens & noticed the lights were being turned on & off regularly & didn't actually see anyone cooking.
The waiter/waitress were polite & did their job, but personally I don't want my food served by bare tattoed arms. I appreciate tattoos are fashionable, but in my job, which is serving the public long sleeves should be worn.
I tried to catch the eye of the man who appeared to be the manager just to politely pointed out a few things, but he looked away even when we were at the bar paying. One customer really did kick off about her steak & was quite rude & was shouting during our meal, which wasn't nice to hear.
We really wanted to support the local community & hoped we would be returning to the Dusty Miller, but sadly we won't be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ZingaraUk
Jimmmyyyyyy, Owner at The Dusty Miller Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hello

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Customer feedback is really important to me and I welcome all comments negative and positive.

If I may firstly say that I do remember cooking for your table and at the time you didn't express any unsatisfactory meals. All of our dishes are freshly prepared and cooked to order using only local ingredients and well respected suppliers. Prior to your arrival Calder Valley search and rescue team x 24 had just enjoyed a speedy dinner and were delighted with all aspects of service and food however this is why the restaurant then appeared quiet. We had served 120 customers that day without any concern.

The Saturday you visited us was the day before our long awaited Tour de France and admittedly we did have some storage issues for equipment. I am sorry this affected your experience with us. The couple you referred to re the steak in your neighbouring table were a little intoxicated and were very rude to my hard working team and myself. I am sorry that you had to witness that. As I was working in my kitchen that evening in my whites, it is unlikely that I would have met you at the bar and ignored you. I have spoken with my assistant Johnny who apologises but he also doesn't ignore people. I am sorry if this appeared to be the case on your visit.

Please do return to us so that we can demonstrate to you the exceptional level of service and cuisine we offer. If you would like to call me to discuss your review in more detail. 01422 885959.

Kind regards and best wishes

Angus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Were staying close and this place looked really good on paper. Unfortunately it just didn't deliver. We were met by a very helpful lady although her appearance didn't do the establishment justice. The surroundings were fantastic but unfortunately there was a lot of food on the carpet under our table that hadn't been cleaned up but we were very hopeful of the food on the menu. Not to be - in any shape or form. We had chicken wings to start. Great if you like very hot and spicy food (basically overly covered in black pepper) with a chilli sauce and salad garnish. However really lived in hope of the main course. My husband ordered cod wrapped in smoked salmon with a salad but this was very tasteless. I ordered lamb noisettes. Not sure what cut of lamb this was but they certainly weren't noisettes. Also asked for medium rare - more well done and the fat on the meat was excessive. This dish came with "seasonal" vegetables which consisted of red cabbage (good starter for 10) peppers and cucumber so didn't really go too well with a mint gravy!!!! We paid the bill and left swiftly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank douthwaite
Jimmmyyyyyy, Owner at The Dusty Miller Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello

I am saddened by your review and the comments made. I am really sorry that your expectations had not been met. We pride ourselves on our food and as you can see from previous reviews other customers enjoy it very much.

Please would you return and enjoy a meal with my compliments so that we can show you the hospitality and standards we are well known for. Please call me so I can discuss your review further. 01422 885959.

Travellers are raving about these Hebden Bridge hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

All in all a pleasent stay food was great service fantastic atmosphefe good and very clean. Only a few issues for me you can hear all the noise of the road if you stay at the front. I was given a single room but thought it would have been better service to offer me a double seen it was empty. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss as its mafe for you and sausages werent fantastic and missed out on what I asked for but as I was rushing to a meeting it wasnt a big issue for me but could be for someone wanting a heartier breakfast. All in 3 out of five

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank stewill83
Hello

Thank you for writing your review. I am sorry that you weren't offered a double room on your recent visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal with us. We are located on the main road so occasionally traffic will be noisy. Had you mentioned this to me at the time I would certainly have moved your room for you.

I hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Kind regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

20 of us came last week and had a wonderful time. Service was slick and friendly. I had a chance to look at the 5 rooms they have and they are beautifully appointed, clean and fresh. Angus and Anne were very warm and friendly in their welcome and nothing was too much trouble. It was busy during our visit with a constant stream of customers. Would definately return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jimmmyyyyyy, Owner at The Dusty Miller Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am pleased you had the opportunity to see our rooms. We hope to welcome you back at the next event.

Angus and Anne
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Could be good, money has been spent on the interior but so disappointing.
Shower enclosure needed a good clean, mouldy grout covered in mildew, bathroom extractor did not function, TV in bedroom also did not work, no telephone in the room either but this was as nothing compared to the staff. Friendly enough but this could not make up for their lack of cleanliness and hygiene. The chef's disgustingly grimy "whites" had ingrained dirt on the seat of the trousers and down the front of the legs suggesting it was many days if not weeks since they'd seen a laundry. This was particularly apparent as he spent more time in the bar and parading about the, not surprisingly, empty restaurant than in the kitchen. The restaurant smelt unappetisingly of old fat from fryers that was long overdue to be changed. Breakfast was served by a waitress with electric blue acrylic talons that she used to constantly stroke her mouth and nose and rake through her greasy hair before handling our food, cutlery and crockery - she seemed unaware of even the most basic health and hygiene practices; genuinely stomach turning. A bright and shiny coffee machine that probably cost in the region of £1k was used only to dispense hot water onto cheap instant coffee at breakfast - apparently in common with the TV and bathroom fan this was "waiting to be fixed" hence the lack of cappuccino or similar. So disappointing when on the face of it this hotel promised so much, couldn't get out of the place fast enough, definitely won't ever return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank NJOY50
Hello

I can only apologise sincerely for your unsatisfactory visit to us recently. I am sorry that I was not there personally to deal with your various issues. It is not our usual level of service.

Please contact me directly so that we can discuss the issues in more detail.
info@thedustymiller.co.uk

Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Went to the Dusty 2 weeks ago with friends Doreen & Steve, my brother Robert and another friend Brian. You can see the kitchen (which was sparkling) and we all had a roast dinner from the Carvery. There was a big choice including Beef, Pork, Ham, with six different vegetables and roast potatoes. The Pork was lovely and tender, the Yorkshire pudding huge, the roasties were nicely done, and the veggies were al-dente, not all mushy. All in all we had a good lunch for £6.95 each! Would recommend to families, couples or even singles. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DragonladyHebden
Hello there

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. i am pleased that you had a lovely time with us and we hope to see you and your friends again soon.

Angus and Anne
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Ate here with my partner on the 28th of December as nowhere else was open in the village. The staff were friendly enough but the food was fairly poor. The starters were alright but very small. The main course was served with tough vegetables, the majority of which were Brussels sprouts which are pretty vile at the best of times! The mains themselves were very basic and no frills, not really restaurant quality food.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Rory

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for the positive comments you made about my staff. It is always nice for them to receive feedback especially during busy periods.

I am sorry that the food did not live up to your expectations. We have had a change of chef since your visit. I hope that you do give us another try when you are in the area. Please ask for me personally.