“"Homely, welcoming and good value!"”
Review of Laurel End House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hebden Bridge
Laurel End House
Ranked #17 of 22 Hebden Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I've read the reviews posted by other users, and they are mixed to say the least! Personally I can only praise Laurel End. I stayed for 3 nights, and had a really good stay. This is a period property, which meant that I had a lovely spacious room, with a huge window which let in loads of light. It is not a characterless 5 star hotel. Despite that, my bed was more comfortable than the one I had in an InterContinental Hotel (Warsaw)

I was looking for a central location, and can't fault Laurel End on that score. Very convenient. Free Car parking is also available, which is a big plus in Hebden Bridge!

The breakfasts are plentiful, consisting of fruit, yogurts, cereals, juice, various breads and eggs made to order. A cooked meat or veggie breakfast is available for a small supplement, which makes sense as that is not for everyone.

Laura is very helpful, and full of advice about the local area and things to do. There are plenty of leaflets around.

If you want a faceless hotel, don't stay here. If you want friendly, personal service, this is your place!

I wanted a clean, safe, convenient plce to stay and that is what I got!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank DeniseWanders
There are newer reviews for Laurel End House

Reviewed 20 June 2011

Laura is a great host, easy going and friendly, the rooms are clean and spacious, breakfast was generous and as well as the really good deal on room and breakfasts, we got free car park!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Spent a night at Laurel End in February. Unfortunately found it smelly downstairs in the dining room so didn't want to eat breakfast, cat pee......
Our room was nice but the upstairs room was dodgy to say the least, plugs in the bathroom and the toilet cistern in the bedroom.
Still it is conveniently located, near the wonderful Thai restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank sazzieManchester
successWestYorkshire, Owner at Laurel End House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2011

I don't have a cat. There is no toilet cistern in any of the bedrooms and no (electric ? ) plugs in any of the bathrooms. I find this title hurtful and offensive. Why was this guest wandering around the rest of my house anyway ?

Reviewed 6 March 2011

I stayed at Laurel End House 3 times during 2010. I found Laura very accommodating and helpful concerning my coming and going times and my needing to have a very early breakfast. The beds were very clean, fresh and comfortable. The bathroom was not ultra posh but was spotlesly clean, the towels provided were adequate and again spotlesly clean and fresh, I was invited to ask for more if needed, I never needed to. Being a VIctorian Terrace the stairs are narrow and by the same token the rooms are spacious. Luara provides a variety of cereals, bread, yogourt, juice, fresh fruit and herbal teas for breakfast with facilities in the rooms for hot drinks. What more could one ask for the price paid.

I own a similar property which I've converted to a House in Multiple Occupation(HMO) and to be licenced I have to conform to local council regulations. All businesses of these nature have to be registered and so have to conform to local regulations as Laural End must surely have done. The regulations stipulated can vary from area to area.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Travelling alone and wanting to get some off-season walking, I found Laurel End House well-located, near central HB but also convenient for walks in several directions. I was able to find information about bus and train services at the lodging and was given information about social events in the town and weekend markets by the helpful hostess/manager.
The rooms were individual and more interesting than your run-of -the-mill B-and-B, the breakfast substantial and tasty. As I have a liking for lodgings that are more interesting than immaculate, I enjoyed a stay of 5 nights before I moved on. I was quite sad to return to more standard rooms and entertainment. Not for the prim and prissy but an enjoyable change.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I'm an Italian tourist in love with in England. In August I decided to spend some time in West Yorkshire and booked a room for 11 days at Laurel End House, Hebden Bridge. I'm so happy I did so! Laura, the owner, was kind and helpful even before I arrived, putting up with me and my various payment problems (being my Italian bank very upsetting with international transfers!). As I was travelling alone, I was afraid I would feel lonely and bored, but Laura and her family insantly made me feel at home. First of all, the room I was staying in was large, comfortable and had the nicest view over the hills and Rochdale Canal. Breakfast time was also very nice (I'm still dreaming about that delicious hot English tea I can't taste anywhere here in Italy), for both the food and for Laura, who also had time for a little chat, for giving me some advice about what to see and what to do, for lending me books about Hebden Bridge that might help me learning more about the town. When she heard I was interested in poetry and loved both Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath, she even accompanied me to the legendary Stabbing Wharfe Pub, where a poem by TH is set.
11 days is a long time for a holiday, but I wish I could stay longer!
As soon as I can spend some time in Hebden Bridge again, I will definitely stay at Laurel End House.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I only wish we had read the reviews on this site before booking our weekend away, as our experience very much chimed with the negative opinions expressed here.
We stayed at Laurel End House during the coldest snap the country has seen for years, with temperatures in Hebden Bridge remaining below -4 for the duration of the weekend, yet the radiator in our attic room did not work. There was a small electric heater which seemed to date from the 1970s, but this was not sufficient to raise the temperature of the room enough to make it possible for us to remove our coats. Sleeping necessitated the removal of all the covers from the other beds in the room onto ours. What made this situation most upsetting was the fact that Laura entered our room each time we had vacated it to turn off the heater, so what modicum of warmth we could generate had dissipated by the time we returned in from the snow.
We found this behaviour unfortunately to be in line with the penny-pinching aura of the b and b as a whole - one tiny jug of milk was to suffice for both our cereals and coffees, and the orange was 'juice drink' rather than 'juice'.
More minor complaints included the live woodlice and slugs in the room, the shower pressure which was almost non existant, the musty and damp nature of the attic room, and the general feeling of being unwelcome in the house!
I see Laura has complained others' bad reviews were not specific enough - I hope this is more helpful.
We visited Hebden Bridge with a view to moving there - the experience has put paid to that thought!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bluishmist

Slugs and woodlice hibernate in winter especially in such sub zero temperatures.but in any case I have never seen a slug in this house in 27 years. There has always been fresh fruit juice available for breakfast. I imagine these guests did not read the introduction to the house which I ask everyone to read when they arrive. This would have explained the situation regarding why the fire went off..Finally the vast majority of comments in my own visitors' book make a special point of saying how friendly I am.