“Quirky and interesting, with friendly, informative manageress”
Review of Laurel End House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hebden Bridge
Laurel End House
Ranked #17 of 22 Hebden Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Travelling alone and wanting to get some off-season walking, I found Laurel End House well-located, near central HB but also convenient for walks in several directions. I was able to find information about bus and train services at the lodging and was given information about social events in the town and weekend markets by the helpful hostess/manager.
The rooms were individual and more interesting than your run-of -the-mill B-and-B, the breakfast substantial and tasty. As I have a liking for lodgings that are more interesting than immaculate, I enjoyed a stay of 5 nights before I moved on. I was quite sad to return to more standard rooms and entertainment. Not for the prim and prissy but an enjoyable change.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 February 2011

I'm an Italian tourist in love with in England. In August I decided to spend some time in West Yorkshire and booked a room for 11 days at Laurel End House, Hebden Bridge. I'm so happy I did so! Laura, the owner, was kind and helpful even before I arrived, putting up with me and my various payment problems (being my Italian bank very upsetting with international transfers!). As I was travelling alone, I was afraid I would feel lonely and bored, but Laura and her family insantly made me feel at home. First of all, the room I was staying in was large, comfortable and had the nicest view over the hills and Rochdale Canal. Breakfast time was also very nice (I'm still dreaming about that delicious hot English tea I can't taste anywhere here in Italy), for both the food and for Laura, who also had time for a little chat, for giving me some advice about what to see and what to do, for lending me books about Hebden Bridge that might help me learning more about the town. When she heard I was interested in poetry and loved both Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath, she even accompanied me to the legendary Stabbing Wharfe Pub, where a poem by TH is set.
11 days is a long time for a holiday, but I wish I could stay longer!
As soon as I can spend some time in Hebden Bridge again, I will definitely stay at Laurel End House.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I only wish we had read the reviews on this site before booking our weekend away, as our experience very much chimed with the negative opinions expressed here.
We stayed at Laurel End House during the coldest snap the country has seen for years, with temperatures in Hebden Bridge remaining below -4 for the duration of the weekend, yet the radiator in our attic room did not work. There was a small electric heater which seemed to date from the 1970s, but this was not sufficient to raise the temperature of the room enough to make it possible for us to remove our coats. Sleeping necessitated the removal of all the covers from the other beds in the room onto ours. What made this situation most upsetting was the fact that Laura entered our room each time we had vacated it to turn off the heater, so what modicum of warmth we could generate had dissipated by the time we returned in from the snow.
We found this behaviour unfortunately to be in line with the penny-pinching aura of the b and b as a whole - one tiny jug of milk was to suffice for both our cereals and coffees, and the orange was 'juice drink' rather than 'juice'.
More minor complaints included the live woodlice and slugs in the room, the shower pressure which was almost non existant, the musty and damp nature of the attic room, and the general feeling of being unwelcome in the house!
I see Laura has complained others' bad reviews were not specific enough - I hope this is more helpful.
We visited Hebden Bridge with a view to moving there - the experience has put paid to that thought!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bluishmist
successWestYorkshire, Owner at Laurel End House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2011

Slugs and woodlice hibernate in winter especially in such sub zero temperatures.but in any case I have never seen a slug in this house in 27 years. There has always been fresh fruit juice available for breakfast. I imagine these guests did not read the introduction to the house which I ask everyone to read when they arrive. This would have explained the situation regarding why the fire went off..Finally the vast majority of comments in my own visitors' book make a special point of saying how friendly I am.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

Visited Hebden Bridge to see friends and Arts Festival.
Well placed for the whole of Hebden Bridge (walking distance), friendly B & B with Parking (essential in Hebden Bridge especially during Arts Festival). Accomodation clean and comfortable, with good choice of breakfast.
Good value for money.
John & Caroline East Sussex.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I stayed at Laurel End for the first time last week and I have no complaints about my two nights there.

In my experience there are three key areas that are essential to a good stay:
1. The bed. Mine was big, firm and comfortable; and it had a duvet. This is still quite rare in the world of traveller accommodation and deserves comment. The room itself was light and spacious with stripped wood fittings.

2. The “facilities”. The shared toilet/bathroom was larger than I usually encounter when not going “ensuite”, and it had a decent shower and tap water you could brush your teeth in without tasting like you’d swallowed the contents of the original Roman piping.

3. Breakfast. Continental is the default, and that includes cereal, juice, bread, croissants, yoghurt, toast and coffee. And fresh fruit if you like that sort of thing. The house is also only a 90 second walk to the nearest newsagent, so you can have plenty of time to buy a paper to accompany your meal.

Laurel End is a short walk from the station, a minute to the cinema, three minutes to the theatre, five minutes to The Book Case bookshop and has 5 pubs within a couple of minutes’ stagger.

It’s a Victorian Big House, there’s lots of wood, the floors creak and Laura was very helpful

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I am surprised at the amount of positive reviews of the B&B. We booked in to stay three days at Laurel End but only stayed one night. Our bed was dirty the children slept in the next door room,their beds seemed quite clean. The bathroom was very shabby and unclean. A fire alarm was propped up on a picture rail in the hall. I felt very uncomfortable staying one night. The house smelt unclean and was dingy. I spoke to the owners first thing in the morning about the fact that we wouldn't be staying. I did feel bad because we had booked three nights but there was no way I could stay another night. She was obviously very upset and angry that I wasn't staying, not that I wasn't happy, more that she was going to lose money. Having said that I had paid a deposit And one nights stay, frankly much more than it was worth. We had breakfast, which was probably a mistake, it was served with a large helping of attitude, I say served, more thrown. The food was poor quality, nasty and cheap, and the dining room was dirty, with a selection of broken fridges and other bits that looked fit for the tip.
I probably wouldn't have review This place except that I think it probably doesn't comply with fire regs and that the lady owner was so rude following our decision to leave.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Mumanddad_with_kids
successWestYorkshire, Owner at Laurel End House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

I have run out of things to say to people such as these. A regular stream of visitors come here all the time and are completely satisfied. I am always being complimented on the house and the breakfasts. There was absolutely no justification for this family to leave . .

Reviewed 16 April 2010

First of all, I must point out the strongest points about our stay at the Laurel House because they couple whom run the house, went above and beyond the call of duty to accommodate us.

First of all, our family consists of 2 adults and 6 children. And by 6 children I mean they all range in ages from 15 - 2, so this was a pretty big deal to take on a family of our size.

Laura and Bill gave us an exceptional rate and we were floored at how reasonable the prices were to not only be put up for the the 2 nights we stayed, but they fed us too! I was impressed!

We arrived to Laurel after a very long travel from the Adirondacks of upstate NY, USA. We were very tired and had nowhere to go once we were shuttled to the Laurel End House. It was roughly 11am when we stood, luggage in hand, in front of the door knocking..hoping we would at least be allowed a place to put our luggage down until check in time at 4pm. Laura not only let us in but she allowed us to go up and take our rooms several hours early than check in. She was ever so kind to do that for us! That meant so much to my husband and I as we were "knackered" from our long travel and no sleep.

My husband and I slept in the room that faces the road. It was a very sweet little room with clean towels, extra blankets, a king sized bed that was comfortable. The road side was very quite during the night so we had no issues with traffic noises.

My children stayed in the room upstairs, which was quickly the place we all spent together as a family. There are the most magnificent sky lights that let in gorgeous sunlight and I found myself most of my stay, lounging in the front room on the small seat, reading and basking in the sunlight! That my friends, is what I call R&R!
The sky lights also have screens to block out light and both open to let in fresh air, which was delightful!

There is a full bathroom within the first room upstairs and a very lovely set of frosted glass doors that led into the next bedroom where my eldest sons stayed. A TV was in this room so most of my children gathered in that room, which was very spacious and had room for them to play. There was also a very lovely little window on the floor level that my littlest boys sat in to watch what was going on outside of Laurel End, little birds and cars going past.

I have seen that other reviewers of this room complained about the stairs. Having 6 children (ie. one 2 year old), I never felt the stairs were anything to be of concern. There is a motion detected light over the stair case that comes on before anyone steps down into the stairwell, so I had no fear of anyone falling down the stairs at night. The steps are very practical and standards staircase you would find in most peoples homes. I didn't see any problems with the stairs.

Breakfast was lovely, fresh coffee, rolls, yoghurt, cereal, fresh fruits, juices. My son has food allergies and he had plenty to eat that morning as Laura also accommodated his diet so he could eat with us that morning.

We checked out the next morning and we returned upon our departure in Hebden Bridge, 10 days later, on our last evening in England before we left for the airport the following morning.

Again, the strong point here was we had to return our canal boat we rented on Tuesday at 9:30am, taking a train back to Laurel End and again knocking on the door at 11 am, with even more luggage in hand and Laura and Bill both allowing us early entrance.
We stayed in the same rooms and were treated with the exact standards as the first visit.

I can't say enough wonderful things about Laura and Bill. They have very friendly dogs that were as good as gold with my kids. I never thought the house smelled dingy, doggy, moldy, wet, etc. I have no idea what some of the reviewers that complained about this house were on about. The fact Laura and Bill took our family size on for the incredible price they gave us and the wonderful foods they left out for our us just says what fair and honest people they are.

If you want a B&B that have normal, honest and good people behind it, then Laurel End is for you.

thank you for letting us stay in your home, it was a pleasure!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family