“Not Entirely Hitchless At The Hinchliffe”

The Hinchliffe Arms
Ranked #13 of 75 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in the beautiful Cragg Valley, this historic pub snuggles into it's environment between woods and two streams. Great countryside location.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'm rather in two minds about the Hinchliffe. Though I only live in Rochdale, I'd not visited this secluded, classy-looking place before. But after 8 miles of a 10 mile walk which passed the hotel, I was ready, on a hot day, for a pint of shandy and a bit of tea. Ate outside the hotel's frontage at a picnic table, though there was a roof garden I avoided, since it sounded noisier, Opted for a chicken and stuffing sandwich on a brown muffin with chips---the bread was rather dry but the number of chips was generous. On a Monday around 5.30pm it was quiet, the greenery lush and the birdsong rhapsodic. The main menu looked appealing too so, when I happened to be passing after another walk on the Tuesday, I called again to sample a full meal. The starter, a warm salad of asparagus, smoked haddock and Jersey Royals was lovely, the fish being gorgeously smoky. The main of breast of chicken in a tarragon sauce, with potato cake accompaniment almost matched it, though the skin was tough and plasticky instead of light and crispy. I echo previous reviewers' comments about the pannacotta with poached rhubarb---perfect consistency and delicate of flavour. The service was dilatory as there only seemed to be a manager and waitress to both serve meals and man the bar, but it was a sunny evening and I was happy enough reading my book---I was there about 2 hours. This evening, Wednesday, I was again passing the end of the road so I thought I'd indulge myself for a third visit---the location was as much a draw as the food. Paid up front---just short of £30 for three courses and a pint of shandy. The ham hock terrine starter (£6.50) was fine, though I prefer the toast to be a little more yielding. The two thin fillets of sea bass (£14) were sitting atop noodles in a sump of soy sauce---thought a dressing rather than a flood might have been more discreet and less salty. The "famous" Vimto Trifle (£6) didn't deserve to be---a tall glass of vaguely Vimto-flavoured jelly, topped with custard and cream, with the addition of a single unassimilated sponge finger stuck in the top. Not my notion of a trifle, I'm afraid. The service was, if anything, even worse, though I had my nose in my book again so wasn't much bothered.
What particularly pained me was, after I had finished and said farewell, I walked across to my car, only to have the waitress run after me, asking if I'd paid---moreover in front of two parties of diners. I insisted I had and she said that the manager hadn't a record of it. I was about to show her my receipt but she waved it away, still apologising. A shame really, as I'd, by & large, enjoyed this sun-lit haven with the sporadically very enjoyable but somewhat inconsistent food. I'm deducting a star for insufficient staff, variable eats and the embarrassing incident.

gemmawoods2017, Front Office Manager at The Hinchliffe Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Sir,

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with your visits to The Hinchliffe. I hope that you will try us again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Ended up at the Hinchcliffe by chance, our original and backup plans having fallen through. This turned out to be an excellent stroke of luck.

The food was excellent. My parents were happy with their starters (soup and then sirloin steak, and something called “fishy pick and mix” with a chicken and mushroom pie with a proper crust and filling). I had an excellent black pudding starter and a very juicy burger for main. The desserts went down well, and the panna cotta scored highly with someone very fussy about their panna cotta.

The food took a while to arrive, but given the large serving sizes the time was needed to digest the previous course. We certainly would have struggled to finish it all if it had come out faster.

The staff were charming and attentive throughout. Our experience was that the service was flawless.

Will definitely detour to get food here if in the area again.

gemmawoods2017, Front Office Manager at The Hinchliffe Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello, thank you so much for this absolutely wonderful review. We are all so pleased that your enjoyed your visit to us here at The Hinchliffe. We very much look forward to seeing you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed 13 May 2018

Booking and communications ,staff and food all good only let down was very weak coffee. Not the end of the World tho will certainly go again.

gemmawoods2017, Front Office Manager at The Hinchliffe Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Hello Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit. If you find anything unsatisfactory in the future, we would always be happy to rectify the problem straight away for you if you make us aware. I will let the staff know about this problem so that it will not happen again in the future, and I thank you for letting us know of it.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve just returned from taking my mother, partner and niece for lunch on a lovely Saturday afternoon. I can’t think of a thing to fault the experience other than the fact I’m a bit full. Attentive lovely staff, beautiful, interesting food, an all round lovely place. We can’t wait to go again.

gemmawoods2017, Front Office Manager at The Hinchliffe Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Hello Andy,

Thank you for this fantastic review! Myself and the team are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to us at The Hinchliffe. We very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

We were so excited about visiting the area and this pub, we booked two tables for 10 over the 3 day bank holiday weekend.

We only went the once and cancelled our planned second trip. The food was fine. Quite good in places. But the service was a mess. The manager was polite and trying to keep it all together. There were two barmaids/servers who were so busy chatting it took a ridiculous length of time to get the drinks (over half an hour for a few pints & they weren’t even busy!). They became downright rude when we asked again for our drinks and found the ones that never arrived were on our bill (the manager removed them graciously). We waited an hour for desserts and then the wrong ones came. We gave up at this point, paid and left.

Really sad as its a lovely building in a great location and the poor manager was running around trying to keep it all together. Let’s hope they get some good staff and can pull it back!

gemmawoods2017, Front Office Manager at The Hinchliffe Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Dear FrequentFryer101,

I can only offer my sincere and heartfelt apologies for the level of service you received. This is not what we aspire to. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I will make sure all staff members are well aware of this so that we may better ourselves in the future.

Myself and the team hope that you will visit us again in the future. If you do decide to return to us, I would love to have the opportunity to make this up to you in some way. If you could email me on thehinchliffepub@gmail.com