“A most inhospitable stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Prospect End B&B

Prospect End B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hebden Bridge
Prospect End B&B
Ranked #19 of 22 Hebden Bridge B&B and Inns
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“A most inhospitable stay”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Firstly, after a series of cold emails and a sternly written and instructional confirmation letter ahead of our stay, my partner and I were fearing the worst ahead of our one night stay at Prospect End B&B.

Upon arrival our fears were justified. Owner Ann has the air of an uptight old school headmistress, ordering us around like we were her students rather than her guests.

We were told to take our backpacks off immediately when entering the property as 'packs cause lots of damage'. Breakfast for the next morning had to be ordered by 6:30pm, no later. My cereal bowl was taken off me at the breakfast table as I wasn't allowed to keep it in case I wanted to eat cereal AFTER my cooked breakfast; a concept obviously alien to this proprietor.

These might sound like small and petty annoyances, but these were the tip of the iceberg. It's quite difficult to express how unwelcome Ann made us feel as guests and I would seriously warn people from even considering a stay at Prospect End for this reason.

That said, the room was clean and warm and facilities good. The B&B's location for Hebden Bridge town centre is fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank YesNieldy

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Wakefield
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stopped in this nice little B&B while attending a conference in hebden Bridge.it is small only having 2 rooms available but goor range of facilities.The room I occupied as a single had 2 beds,en suite shower and toilet with wash basin in room.Very clean nad comfortable.Seperate entrance through the garden from owners part so you can come and go with an outside key.breakfast must be ordered when checking in as the owner works so needs to know what to prepare.Lots of choice though and very good.Breakfast taken in owners kitchen,very nice,vegetarian options as well..owner was a very pleasant lady,full of information about places to eat etc in town if required.Walkers can get a packed lunched prepared by her for a small extra fee.Very quiet location,slept soundly.It is up a hill but just at the start of it so not far!
It is just off the Todmorden road a little out of the main town but not far and there is a good real lae pub Stubing Wharf opposite which does meals as well although I personally went to the excellent Fox & Goose ,a 5 minute walk away for a pint.

Room Tip: book early as only 2 available
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Paganjones7
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I booked this B&B for one night as part of our Pennine Way walking holiday. Unfortunately there were no reviews on Trip Advisor when we booked. After booking we received a confirmation letter of our booking, which also informed us to wait in the garden if we arrived before 5.30pm and to telephone if we were going to arrive after 6pm as the host might be out. We have never been given such a short time window to arrive by in the past. However
we did arrive before before 5.30 and I was pleased it was not raining whilst having to wait for the host to arrive.
We got a cold instructional welcome of all the things to do and not to do when in the B&B. We were ordered to carry our backpacks into the accommodation in a certain way to prevent damage to the wallpaper/paintwork. There was a pile of old newspapers in the room to lay out our stuff to dry any wet clothes. We did not have any as it was dry that day and the previous B&B's all had drying rooms where we were able to dry any wet clothes/boots.
We had to choose what we wanted for breakfast before 6.30 pm, my husband just asked for a 'Full English' but was instructed to read the menu - as others had chosen this, then wasted things on their plate.
Inside the room there were notices giving further instructions on everything like no packs on the furniture, closing the shower door when in the shower, no take-aways allowed to be eaten in room, all clinical waste to be taken and given to host ASAP etc.

There was mould +++ in the shower around the bottom of the cubicle and in the grouting on all the tiles. The electric shower was old and one minute the water was scalding hot the next freezing cold which was pretty dangerous when very hot. I got a strip wash in the sink it was safer.
The room was pretty dull and very dated, with dust on the wardrobe, cobwebs +++ in the toilet/shower room. There was a paper handkerchief left on top of the radiator with blood on it. The kettle was screwed down to the table. The beds and bedding were of poor quality resulting in a poor sleep. The curtains were 2" too short sitting on top of the windowsill allowing the light to pour in early morning.
We had both been really looking forward staying at this B&B and to visiting Hebden Bridge. We had to walk extra miles from and to the Pennine Way to visit Hebden Bridge. We had never visited before and it was going to be one of the highlight's of the holiday which was very much spoiled by our chosen B&B. We both felt depressed.
It was certainly an experience that we will not forget. It has now really put us off B&B's. We now feel it is a lucky dip as to what you may get. In future we will book hotels or B&B's with fantastic reviews on trip advisor. This B&B was a little more expensive compared to some other B&B's on the Pennine Way that we used. The others offered much better value for money and were far superior in every way. I feel that if you receive a warm welcome upon arrival it can compensate for any failings that the B&B may have.

On a positive note the room was warm, the heating was on. TV had good reception. The room had it's own private entrance through the garden. There were lots of maps and books to read on history, things to do in the area etc. The breakfast was very good too.
In our opinion this B&B did not really seem suited to walkers compared to all of the others we have stayed at over the years.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jocorn
Merriott, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst walking the pennine way in March. Landlady wasn't unfriendly but did have a manner which reminded me of an old school headmistress and I might have been in trouble had I not "followed the rules". Nothing particularly good or bad to report and I was happy enough to stay for one night. Best part for me was location being just opposite "The Stubbing Wharf" pub which does great food and beer (you'll probably need to book). I would stay again if walking through but not if I wanted to spend a few days exploring hebden bridge.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo