“Perfect for Human and Hound! ”

The Lamppost cafe and boutique
Ranked #17 of 71 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Visited The Lamppost on Sunday with a friend for teas and cakes. The food and drinks were all well priced and the cakes were both tasty and generous portions! Friendly staff and love the building/style. The dog-friendlyness is a great idea, and seemed to be very popular on the day with lots of puppies and their owners. The cafe also follows the 'pay it forward' movement, seemed to have a good level of support and is such a simple lovely thing to do.

Will definitely revisit and recommend!

2  Thank missyrach

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I'd waited almost a year to come to the Lamppost and was really really looking forward to it.
The menu sounded delicious and advertised that the breakfast food was served all day.

My son wanted a croissant, but there was none left. So I ordered him a crumpet (the same as my other son was having)

Our order was:
2x crumpet
1 x feta on toast
1x sweet potato

45 minutes later we were still waiting! Not much fun, when we have a hungry child with autism to entertain.

The sweet potato arrived and then 5 minutes later one portion of crumpets. We then received an apology , unfortunately there was not another portion of crumpets for my others son (they'd run out ) . Instead of telling us this 45 minutes ago, they told us after placing down the food In front of my other son.
5 minutes later came my husband's burnt feta on toast.

The young guy serving was apologetic and gave me the money back for the other crumpet. I explained that I wasn't going to wait another 45 minutes and order something else. My son had a pain au chocolat.

My sweet potato was absolutely delicious. The whole concept is brilliant . The venue is clean and really homely. I really really wanted to like this place :-(

The day we went , there was a local dog show on. Surely if it was busier than normal , the staffing could have been planned ahead and extra customers expected?
Having said this, not every table outside was taken.

I don't tend to give negative reviews, but honestly I've never eaten anywhere where we have been told that something we've ordered isn't available, 45 minutes later after serving half of the table .

Gutted.

10  Thank Dazzlegirl01
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Had a day out in Hebden bridge intending going to the lamppost cafe as the dogs had previously had some cakes from the cafe - and loved them.
The cafe was very busy lots of people and dogs, we found a table and looked at the menu, which was a little limited for hot food for humans.
When we went to order the staff seemed a little disorganised and I was really disappointed in the choice for the dogs at the time we were there as people had told us about all the different dog cakes. We made our choice and sat and waited after a while a few different orders were brought to our table - not ours!
I think they need a better system
Our order got mixed up and we ended up with wrong food and food arriving at very different times - but even with all that we enjoyed the cafe and the staff were very helpful and apologetic and gave the dogs some dog treats - which the dogs loved !
The human hot food was ok but the carrot cake was lovely. The dogs loved the fact they had their own bowl were made very welcome and they really loved the buns and treats.
We would definitely go back and would recommend it.

1  Thank 719Traceyc_8
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This place was recommended to us and we were glad we made the journey to visit. The staff were lovely and made a real fuss of our springer. I would like slightly more choice on the menu, but perhaps I am being greedy! The food we had was indeed lovely and the coffee was divine. Our dog woofed down the carrot and cheese pup cake!

2  Thank Viggle
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Somehow managed to stroll into The Lamppost without realising it was a dog friendly cafe - we had already ordered by the time we noticed.
I love animals but surely it's a health and safety nightmare! I'm sure the staff must go to extra lengths to ensure the furry friends don't affect the cleanliness of the cafe, but still the thought of it makes my skin crawl.
That aside (since it was my own error) - the food was mediocre at best and we found the menu to be very limited.
Not awful but nothing special. Wouldn't take the time to visit again but I'm sure it's well loved amongst dog owners.

1  Thank Mhysa