“Punching well below it's weight...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley

Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ilkley
Telford, United Kingdom
“Punching well below it's weight...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Cow and Calf was clearly once a thriving traditional moorland pub and hotel, with a commanding position high on Ilkley Moor. What a shame then, that it has come to what it is now, a cheap-and-cheerful lodge chain whose idea must be to offer a low standard of accommodation, service and cleanliness in return for budget pricing. I realise that there is a place in the market for this type of offering, but a building such as this demands much more.

Anyhow, I made a brief stop-over on a business outing as it was in an ideal location. The check-in was efficient and I was soon hauling my bag up two long, steep flights of stairs to the second floor. My room was light, airy, very cold and without windows except for two skylights which bring in light but leave you sitting with no view to the outside. The bathroom was clean and functional and overall once the heating got going I can say that the room matched the budget price.

I ate dinner in the restaurant.

Breakfast was a somewhat D.I.Y affair and was unremarkable except that in the cold light of the morning I could now see what was not apparent in the half-light of the evening before. It was dirty. Everywhere. From wine glasses with lipstick and drying stains hanging waiting to be used to a build up of thick grime around a poker set next to the fire-hearth, where cleaners have repeatedly cleaned the red quarry tiles around it, but have never thought to simply move the set and clean under/around. That shouts of a general malaise and tells me that it the front of house looks like that I can only begin to wonder about the parts which are not on show (kitchen..?)

Their payment procedure is a little unusual as I had to make 3 card transactions for 1 stay, when normally I would leave a tab open and settle accommodation, dinner and breakfast in one transaction - maybe they like paying bank charges?

Overall, I can't say that I can review this as any more than 2 - Poor. It has the potential to be much much better than this!

Do they really need a Christmas display in the customer area in early August???

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Andy810
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We are very sorry to hear that the visit you made to The Cow and Calf, Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley was not as perfect as you would have liked. We want all our guests to be satisfied so we always welcome your feedback and we have replied to you personally about your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We had a pleasant three night at The Cow and Calf.I was quite disappointed when I finally walked into room 13 as there was a tiny window up high ,the only way you could look out was to climb up onto a large step!When you are in your mid sixties and just claimed two large flights of stairs to get to your room, the last thing you want to do is to perch yourself up on a step to see the amazing views.The room was very comfortable, clean with ample supply of tea and milk provided. Used the restaurant for the three nights we were there and enjoyed all the meals. Well cooked and presented.Staff friendly and service good.w.Would certainly like to return but with a room with a view and on the first floor.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glynisdunstan
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
May we thank you for your review, as we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Cow & Calf, Innkkeper's Lodge Ilkley. We have replied to you personally and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

There was a problem with the water that was very badly handled. Water can get cut off that I know and that is not my complaint. My complaint is the attitude of the staff.
We ate dinner in the restaurant and I then drove my elderly mother home. When I got back at 9.15 my son told me the toilet in our room was not working. I said let me relax with a drink and then I will sort it out. At 10.00 I was about to go up to the bar to ask about the loo when I saw bottles of water being brought in and it immediately became clear that there was no water.
I was told you can leave if you don't want to stay but if you stay you will not be charged. Firstly, it was clear that the staff had known there was a problem for sometime. I have been to the Cow and Calf numerous times over a 14 year period and this was the first time I have ever seen tap water brought to the table in an old wine bottle. We all asked the waiter why this was. He said to make it more attractive. That was odd and I suspect that they had been saving water in empties as I later learnt that there was a trickle of water in the kitchen until late in the evening.
I had had a drink and never drink and drive and even with the wonders of Wifi finding a room that late at night is difficult, so I opted to stay.
I then said that we were four in a room so what about the toilet. I have lived in many places without constant water supply so asked if they had a bucket I could use before we went to sleep as it was unclean to leave the loo un-flushed. I asked if they had brought water from elsewhere. The answer was no even though this is not an isolated place and close to other houses. I was told no bucket and only one two litre bottle per person. They added in a large bottle of water after I complained but not enough to flush the loo for sanitary purposes.
At no point was there an apology. The next morning the staff acted as if all was normal. Not notice apologising. No nice little touches to make you feel better even though you were dirty.
I presented my card for the refund and only then had a limited apology.
I was left with the impression that as most guests were dining in the restaurant and then having a drink in the bar that the staff left it until the last moment to say there was a problem. That left a bad taste as if they wanted my money but did not care for the guests.

Room Tip: Not at the back - you get bin view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rosie W
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
We’re sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to The Cow & Calf, Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley . Thank you for raising this with us, we really value all guest feedback, and we are working closely with the staff to ensure that this doesn't happen again. It is our aim to give every guest the very best service we can, and we have replied to you personally.

Travellers are raving about these Ilkley hotels

Flamborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Problems gaining access to the security landing door and then our room on arrival. the security door had to be propped open as it had broken. On return from a wedding in the early hours the door had been closed and all 3 rooms occupants could not gain access. Attitude of one of the staff was one of us must have shut it (no apology). We had all left together and returned together. It made me feel insecure in the event of a fire. No contact details in the hallways. We had to disturb another room to phone.
Evening meal was very poor value. The Boar burger was fine but the bun it was in was poor quality and dry. The 'premier chips' were few and basic oven chips. There was one lettuce leaf as garnish. Both the outside area and the restaurant had tables that were not cleared and it was hard to find staff to order drinks etc. Evening staff were pleasant when found.
The breakfast was unimaginative and for the price of the room I would expect more. We did not bother to have breakfast on the second day. One of the group scalded his hand trying to make the instant porridge as the hot water dispenser was for filling cups and not suitable.
One Blond lady seemed to be doing the job of several people, reception, bar, trying to clear tables etc and was very pleasant and efficient. The student workers were pleasant if inexperienced. How ever some of the other staff attitudes were very poor.
Overall the position of the inn is superb, the rooms are adequate, En-suite nice but it was let down by poor maintenance, poor food and some staffs attitude.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolineMFlamborough
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
We are very sorry to hear that the visit you made to The Cow & Calf, Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley was not as perfect as you would have liked. We want all our guests to be satisfied so we always welcome your feedback and we have replied to you personally about your review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay here and would stay again.
We stayed for one night and got parked up easily and check in was easy too. The room was clean and tidy with all the facilities you need. Ours was on the top floor (9) and has 2 velux windows, so no view, but we weren't bothered about that as we had a good walk on the Moor the following day so got all the views you could want!
We had the continental breakfast which was included in the price, this was very nice and there was a good selection of food.
We didn't eat for dinner here as we wanted to go out into Ilkley, but I have eaten at The Cow and Calf before and it is nice, what you would expect from a Vintage Inn really, but I would rather venture out and see what Ilkley has to offer.
The only negative was that we didn't have a great sleep, as athough the hotel was quiet in general, there were some noises that woke us a couple of times. It could've just been other guests, so not really the fault of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lozwhit
Thank you very much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We were very pleased to read that you had a positive time here with us at The Cow & Calf, Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley . Our teams love to hear when they have done a good job and we have replied to you personally about your review.
Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Convenient for the town centre and for local walking trails. This place has lots to recommend it - friendly staff, great views. The food is good, especially the breakfast. You can order a cooked one for an additional charge, but I didn't notice this advertised on booking.com. Our bedroom was on the 2nd floor and had a view of the cow and calf rocks. It was clean and cosy and the shower room was superb with plenty of space to put things. However, beware of bank holidays! We arrived on one and the place was absolutely heaving. Maybe that's why the service wasn't great for the meal that evening. We overheard the waiter say that one of the waitresses had called in sick so we didn't complain. Even so, they should have had a back up plan as it took over half an hour for our bread and olives to be served and then another 25 minutes for our starters. We would still go back, but probably not on a bank holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Room 11 is a bit dark, having only a small window, but it does have a view of the cow and calf and t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2CeeGees
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
May we thank you for your review, as we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Cow and Calf, Innkeepers Lodge Ilkley . We have replied to you personally and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed one night end of April on our way to York. Lovely spot with great views and friendly staff.
Had dinner in the bar and it was very tasty. The room was clean and spacious. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
May we thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback, it is good to know that you found your visit to be a pleasurable experience, and we have replied to you personally. Innkeepers Lodge Ilkley.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
The Craiglands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Ilkley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley? Share your experiences!