The Craiglands Hotel
  • Pool
US$134
US$68
1,113 results
All reviewswedding breakfastgroupon dealold buildinglovely hotelcourse mealilkley moorcouldn't faulttwo night staytown centrecow and calffull englishyogurtballroombrasserieceremonyvenueleeds
Reviewed 15 August 2011

POSITIVES
Room 244
Huge and comfortable double bed 6 feet wide, clean quality cotton bedding, good quality large towels, plenty hot water, large bathroom big sash windows to open, decent breakfast, all staff polite and friendly. Plenty tourist information available. Excellent Free WI FI. All boxes ticked there!

Also food in Bistro is excellent.

BE AWARE OF

On going refurbishment. This is a grand old lady of an hotel and tarting her up is taking longer than probably originally anticipated. As the changing dates on the signs around the hotel show. If you have any concerns about you room speak to staff.

Stairs you will be most fortunate if you don't have to climb any. Even getting the lift to the second floor still left us with a flight down and a steep flight up to reach our room. Still it is all good exercise, we hadn't come to Ilkley to avoid climbing hills and stairs!

NEGATIVES
Slightly sloppy housekeeping. Carpets constantly looked in need of a vacuum over them as dark carpets show all the fluff and bits.
Check you cups and spoon are properly clean before using them.
Bathroom let down by shower screen, black gunge around the bottom, possibly only visible when sitting in the bath, so cleaners please take the extra minute to clean these and under washbasin and pedestal. You dont sit in the bath so you may not see it.
Hot water while plentiful left a thick deposit of silt in the bottom of the bath when drained, I assume due to age of pipes. I really wanted a cloth and some bathroom cleaner, as I can sympathise as at home we have a farm supply that can be the same.

Inaccurate information on webites suggesting sky and digital and analogue TV. We had an elderly TV with analogue channels. Not really a concern but don't advertise it if its not there, cos it gives people something else to moan about.

I like this hotel and will visit again but you must be prepared for her individual quirks and accept her for what she is an old lady being dragged into the 21st century.

2  Thank fenrotherwitch
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Having notified staff when booking and again when checking in, that I am coeliac and would need gluten-free bread for breakfast, there was none available.
(Tesco just down the road!!!!)
P

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Craiglands Hotel where the reception was being held for a wedding we were attending, for two nights (5th and 6th August 2011). The initial impressions of the hotel were very favourable, lovely grounds and an impressive building with a very well decorated interior.

When we got to our good sized room however (having used the antiquated lift!), which did had a lovely view over the countryside, we were disappointed to find what appeared to be talcum powder traces, various cotton threads and a few small bits of paper etc. on the carpet of our room (217), which indicated that the room clearly hadn't been vacuum-cleaned before our residence. Furthermore, several surfaces (TV, table top etc.) were dusty too. One of the two chairs was in such poor condition that it was totally unsafe to be used; it was so wobbly that it was likely to collapse when sat on, so we couldn’t use it.I reported the lack of cleanliness to the receptionist shortly afterwards when we went downstairs to join friends, and a member of staff at the reception desk said he would immediately go to our room and "put things right".

However when we returned to our room later that evening it was obvious that nothing had been done at all. The room wasn't cleaned the following day either; in fact all the same debris was on the carpet until we left on Sunday. Possibly even worse was a dark red mark that I noticed subsequently on the bathroom floor, which on closer examination I'm certain was in fact congealed blood; that's inexcusable and a potential health hazard.

The "hot" water for the sink and shower was only warm throughout the stay, and the shower pressure was so low that to get washed it was necessary to stand almost against the wall to get just about adequately showered! There were also two cracks in one of the room window panes.

The very old lift finally broke down on Saturday evening, and wasn't repaired before we left, which meant that my wife, who has a respiratory disease (COPD) had to take some time to walk all the long way up to the room (on the second floor plus more steps to an upper level) that evening; on the Sunday morning she had to stay downstairs after breakfast while I went to collect our case etc.

There were notices posted in several places saying something to the effect that the refurbishment of the hotel was nearly complete, and thanking guests for their patience!

There were some positives though; the bed linen was very clean and the bed comfortable enough, with a good view from the room as I said before, and the food at the wedding meal was very good, as was breakfast. As someone else commented, I think it would be good to have a separate bar for guests not attending a function. We found the staff were all very courteous.

Overall there's a lot of room for improvement in what claims to be, and probably could be, a very good up-market hotel.

Room Tip: Anyone with mobility problems should insist on a room near the lift.
1  Thank DaveRitaW
Reviewed 11 August 2011

A party of 8 of us stayed here for my future daughter-in-laws hen weekend-age range between 25 and 56.Couldn't check in until 15.55h-rooms not serviced due to late check out of people attending a ball the previous night.When we did eventually access our rooms- they were disgusting-considering that they were supposed to have been serviced.Duvet covers on the beds were torn and the duvets spilling out-which were very poor quality and soiled.Cobwebs in the room and bathroom.Wallpaper peeling off and plaster bubbled and flaking.Dust all round skirting boards,and around carpet edges.Chair very badly stained.
My future daughter-in-laws room was absolutely filthy-underneath the bed was what looked like 12 months dust and debris and remnants of the underneath of her mattress.Mould growing in the bin.The bath panel was all rotten and flaking away as were the window frames.Badly stained furniture and all of the points raised in the two other rooms.Our friends upgraded to a superior executive room and they got a smaller room than everyone else,that was just as dirty.
The breakfast was fine.
The front of house staff were very professional but we weren't the only complainants they had to deal with.

Room Tip: Just wouldn't risk staying here again
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harrysgirl05
Reviewed 8 August 2011

To say how expensive the room's were for this hotel I wouldn't even bother I'd rather stay in a tent on Ilkley Moore! I felt the reception staff looked down their noses at you. The bar staff was very friendly and attentative though I must say. We had upgraded to an Exacutive room - if what we had was executive I would hate to see a standard room, it was the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in and would compare it's size to that of a cabin on a Ferry! The floorboards made the wardrobe wobble everytime you moved, the windows opened all of 2 inches, the mattress must have been 3 inch thick and extremely hard - very very uncomfortable, also the walls were very hear through and felt we couldn't even sneeze without being over heard! Also the hotel boasts Sky channels but our TV only had channels 1-4 and seen as there wasn't anything really to do in the city Town on Ilkley we stayed in the room watching Come Dine With Me instead. Would not recommend to young couples - ideal for older people and ramblers though.

4  Thank LadyMing88