“Lovely visit”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed last weekend, was well looked after. Great service and food. Will definately stop again. Reception staff deserve a special mention, nothing was too much trouble for them! The hotel is clearly very well cared for.

3  Thank Dw123456
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you for your kind review and really pleased to read that everything was up to par during your stay. I will pass on compliments to the chef and team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,089)

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Attended a wedding on Sarurday. The Craiglands is a perfect venue for weddings. Staff were very courteous and the food quality was beyond all expectations. Bedrooms are a very good size and well appointed as well being very nicely decorated. I would definitely stay again!

3  Thank Peterjd20

Many thanks for your review, I was extremley pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time and stay and nothing was too much trouble for the team. I will certainly pass your comments onto the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back n the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I would not recommend this hotel.

Leah on reception is unwelcoming to the point of rudeness. No greeting as such, no information as to where breakfast was held or timings. Room was not ready, no apology made. Had asked for quiet room but were given a room over the function room.

Room was small. Bathroom was tired looking and loo did not flush properly (other guests were saying the same). Bed was uncomfortable.

David at the bar was fantastic despite the fact he and most staff overstretched. The drinks were incredibly expensive £5.25 per pint of Guiness. Gin and tonic at least £6.

Breakfast was mediocre. Had to ask for plates.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luvfoodantravel

Thankyou for your review, I have spoken to Leah about your booking the reason you were allocated a bedroom above the function suite is because you were attending an event which is our standard. If we had been given advanced warning we might have been able to deal with your request. I am sorry that you felt Leah was rude, after speaking to her this was not her intention, it looks like we got off on the wrong foot from check in and never recovered. We should had explained breakfast location and timings and certainly apologised for not being able to deal with your request.
David is a new team member who is working extremley hard and his customer skills are excellent and hopefully was worth paying that little bit extra because of him!
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Disappointed with the hotel. There were 3 weddings in at the hotel with one fairly small hotel bar, with bars in each of the wedding rooms. However, knowing the number of guests expected the hotel was not prepared. Not enough bar staff, those they had were not great giving poor service. Of the 6 beers in draught 5 were not available!
The room was called and charged as an executive room, but no soap or tissues to be found. Very sparce decor and the adjoining room door made hearing the next room guests very easy.
One positive was that Amy the duty manager was excellent.

1  Thank NandJ2012

Thank you for your review, the hotel was busy with three events on the Saturday, the till system crashed in the evening meaning we had a period of time where we were re-connecting with other tills and this took some of the team to fix this. The bar gas also required changing halfway through the night, which is common and this was a simple case of changing the gas for Strongbow, Guiness and John Smiths. (these would have been off whilst the gas was changed). The hotel was not understaffed though as there were enough members of the team to cope for all four bars.(The issues you raise though will have resulted in at least two of the bar team assisting with the fault.) This was just an unfortunate incident.
The soap would have been on the side of the bath and regards tissues we do not put tissues in bedrooms as a standard, if you had ask for some we could have arranged this for you.
We are currently on with decoration in public areas and function suites and are rolling out in phases. This work has started.
I do hope that overall your experience was satisfactory and would not prevent you from booking the hotel again and we look orward to welcoming you back at some stage in the new future,

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Recently stayed at the Craiglands after a family wedding. The hotel itself is in dire need of a facelift with extremely uneven flooring and tired looking decor. Our "king" bed was infant two singles pushed together causing an uncomfortable join but apart from that the bed(s) was comfy. After returning to our room approximately 1.30am I wanted to wash my face but had to suffer through cold water. I originally thought this was due to the time of night and thought nothing about it but again in the morning no hot or even warm water. In the early hours of the morning the bottle bins were emptied which appeared to be right outside our second floor room. As you can imagine this is not what you want to be hearing. Housekeeping then proceeded to walk up and down our floor banging on doors and shouting. Again not what you want before 9am. On checkout we heard several couples stating to the lady at reception about the lack of hot water, to which she mumbled the same "maintenance" issue.
Lovely hotel to look at from the outside, just in need of a total revamp and noise control, wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jjship89
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you for your review, our twin beds are larger than the standard normal single though ( they zip and link together) making a king size. I was to read glad the bed was comfortable.
The decoration of the hotel is being done in stages and some of the public areas and function rooms are nearly completed. I take on board the wear and tear comments and as I say we are in the process of changing this.
We have had continous maintenance works carried out on certain bedrooms, as there are 5 problematic rooms we have always struggled to get the hot water too at certain times. The lady on reception is right as the same 'issue' I think she is frustrated like you, as we know what it is like for our guests when any element of a stay is not quite right. It can be just a case of running the water longer, however we should have highlighted this on check-in. This has now been rectified.
As regards the housekeeping team, I will have to investigate this matter as this should not be happening.
I can only apologise for the lapse of standards at this particular moment and hope you will come back in the near future and see the difference.
If there are any further issues you care to discuss with me, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Initially on arrival the exterior looks charming but the interior is tired and tatty! We could not check in at 2pm as the cleaning staff were stretched to the max due to two weddings on the day (not really our problem)! We were given a free drink which was a nice touch for that I can say was good customer service recovery.

Upon walking around the hotel I noticed damp stains on walls, scuffs and tables left with dirty cups and plates (very off putting). When we got to our room the tap top was missing and the toilet flush did not work well! The staff were unresponsive in the bar and the cleaners very rude barging past us as customers in the corridor.

Generally if you are thinking of a nice hotel for a country retreat look elsewhere.

1  Thank Toolmeister100

Thank you for your review, sorry you caught us on an especially busy weekend when all you wanted to do was chill out and relax, we had three events on the Saturday with alot of guests and people in different areas of the hotel. Saturdays is always a busy turn around when the Friday has been busy too, the team are dedicated and have a desire to get the job done and was not their intention to ignore you if that was the case. We are currently decorating areas in the hotel and working our way through the public areas. It is a big hotel so takes time and planning. There are further projects in hand to continue to refresh other areas this year.
I believe you stayed in room 211 and toilet has now been fixed, sometimes as there are the two flushes on the system ie half and full this does confuse people at times.
I would like to assure you that your complaint is extremley useful for various areas of the hotel in my continued assesment of departments.
I have also contacted yourself and left a message on your voice mail as I wanted to get the chance to talk you and speak to you about your stay.
I would like the opportunity to put matters right for you, despite the lapse of standards on this stay.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed at the Craiglands on our wedding night as we got married at Winter Gardens in Ilkley. We are from Ilkley originally and always recommend people stay here, but we wont be doing so again. When we arrived in the 'bridal suite' at around 1am, we went to shut the curtains to the huge bay window and they both fell down. I tried calling reception, got no answer and finally gave up. So we slept with curtains down and a light coming through the window for a few hours...until the smoke alarm started beeping as the battery was low. I called reception again..no answer. My husband then had to pile a chair on a table to reach the high ceilings and take the alarm out. In the morning i complained to the staff that we'd had a terrible nights sleep. I was told we could have a free afternoon tea but we had to have it there and then! I had all my family with me (we had filled 20+ rooms in the hotel that evening) and was hosting a lunch at my house and the last place i wanted to be was somewhere i'd had a terrible expereince, not to mention on my wedding night! I told reception that we were not available for afternoon tea and they had nothing else to offer. I would have expected a full refund and a free evening meal at the very least for tarnishing such a special occasion for us. We were and still are incredible disappointed with the Craiglands.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jmorgan21
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for your review and talking to one of the team about your stay, the curtains in the bridal suite are display, fixed curtains which don't pull together as the blinds that we have in that particular room are for the large bay windows which guests use. The smoke alarm battery required changing which has now been done, I can only apologise for this.
I was also sorry to hear that you were not able to get hold of the night Manager and night porter at that time, I have investigated and it seemed the phone signal was weak around the hotel in certain areas, this has now been replaced with a new deck phone.
The offer of afternoon tea was there as a token gesture as we wanted to make amends and to give us the opportunity to put matters right for you.
I will leave the offer open for you both and if you would like to contact myself personally, I could arrange a suitable time and day.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
If there is anything else you wish to discuss I would also be able to do this and please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Innkeeper's Lodge Ilkley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ibis Bradford Shipley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#1 of 2 in Shipley

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!