“Dated in need of overhaul”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
“Dated in need of overhaul”
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Room was ok although carpet had leftover confetti scattered about .the room could have done with a good clean quite a bit of dust about.but the breakfast was brilliant.the hotel could do with a major overhaul its looking quite dated the staff were pleasant and helpful although the bar was a bit pricey.i dont think we would return to this hotel its overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed September 2013
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologise for the fact that you found that your room was not cleaned to the standard that would be expected. I will be sure to pass this onto our Head Housekeeper. However I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and found our staff to be pleasant and helpful.

Mark Toole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed here for 1 night for a get together with friends. I arrived and found the building quite grand and nice looking except for the extension which did not fit in and looked very 1970's! Check in was very smooth and the receptionist who was a young chap dealt with us 5 mad woman who'd drunk 2 glasses of wine after long drives very well and with a good sense of humour! Credit to him! We had booked an upgraded room which we were told had been refurbished.

The room..as were my friends rooms...was very spacious with a large bed made up of 2 singles. It had lovely thick blackout curtains, flat screen tv, tea/coffee and biscuits and furniture to match the grand looking building. Now what I find confusing is why refurbish the bedroom area and totally ignore the bathroom? Mildew/mould all over the tiles and shower head plus the edge of the bath. My bath was also peeling. All my friends bathrooms were the same as was another guest who got talking to 1 of my friends. View wise; I had trees right outside my window however, 1 of my friends who was on the 2nd floor had an amazing view. So a tip there...want a view get a 2nd floor room. We also found the hotel and rooms to be cold on our arrival. 1 friend did complain and she was given an extra duvet and told the heating would come on shortly as it was on a timer. Which it did.

We didn't dine in the evening at the hotel restaurant but went off into town. On our return I slumped into a very comfortable bed and went to sleep. However, at 1:50am I was rudely woken by the guests in the next room having a chat. There must have been 5 people in the room all chatting about the wedding they had attended that day. I could hear every word. The walls are paper thin!!!!! The guests were not shouting or being rowdy, they were just talking and I could hear every word! Finally, they all left however just to warn future guests, if you fancy getting amorous with your partner after a few drinks and a good evening please remember that the guests on either side of your room can hear every noise and movement you make which grossly, I can testify. It could be rather embarrassing for you at breakfast!

Breakfast was ok; hot tea and coffee, juices and I found the food to be hot and appetising. During breakfast my friends and I discussed how each slept. It seems I wasn't the only person to be woken by thin walls and next door guests having a chat. Also, doors slamming was an issue as the sound echoes all the down the corridor!

This hotel could be so much more if only the money was spent on it. I would not stay here again only because of the thin walls. I need my sleep and I can't risk being woken by other guests talking..even quietly in their room or babies or children crying.

Room Tip: High up for the views. Get up graded as the bedrooms have been refurbished.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tracey A
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, it is always helpful for us to have our guests share their experiences with us. I am sorry to hear that your sleep was interrupted by the guests next door, I will pass this onto reception and who will pay extra attention when allocating rooms. I would also like to inform you that we are in the process of having our bathrooms refurbished which explains why you found your bedroom to be a different standard.
I do hope that you will be visiting us again in the future.

Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My daughter had her wedding reception here on Monday 2nd September 2013.
The day was amazing. The staff were friendly, efficient, totally professional. Champagne reception all ready and waiting for us.
The food was faultless. Served quickly, efficiently, no tables waiting as can happen at functions.
Hot plates! why do so many places get this so wrong?.
Attention to detail was first class.
The hotel MC spot on, professional and friendly. Wine top ups effortless. The evening turn round quick and efficient. The evening buffet hot, fresh, tasty.
What an outstanding service. I would not hesitate to recommend any one to have their wedding reception here. The only reason that I gave 4 points and not 5 (I would have liked a 4.5 option) was that we had a slight blip in communication before the big day. But all was resolved and the day was perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that your daughters day was such a success! Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. We hope that you will be visiting us again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in July. We traveled up from London for a family members wedding which was at midday. We booked a month in advance and paid in full over the phone. We also asked if it would be possible to check into our room early as we needed to get changed into our clothes for the wedding. Unfortunately we were told that wouldn't be possible as the room wouldn't be ready until 3pm. However the receptionist did say we could use another room just to get changed in. When we arrived at the hotel at 11:30 we were asked to make a payment for our room again even though we had already paid in full!!??? This was a standard procedure apparently and the money would be paid back to our card when we leave. So we had to make the payment. We were then told that there was no room available for us to get changed in but we could use our own room which has been empty but not cleaned. So as we were only going to drop our bags off and quickly get changed we agreed. We were then told that our room would be cleaned for our return later. When we returned to our hotel at 1am we were shocked to find our room was just how we left it earlier. It hadn't been cleaned at all. The beds were still not made and the bathroom was filthy. My wife, 7 year old daughter ( who was asleep in my arms) and I marched all the way back down to reception to speak to a manager. The man we spoke to was very understanding and managed to get 2 bar staff to tidy our room and change the bedding! While we waited in reception for 30 mins. The following morning we spoke to an assistant manager and I told her I wanted a full refund. They refunded our original payment there and then but the extra payment we never got back for over a month after constant phone calls to the manager. I would never stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's a shame as the building could be really something. It needs new management that cares about the hotel and not just the pound notes the fill the tills. A complete refurbishment would make this place come out of the 1970 style decor.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank grahamgilling
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is standard procedure for us to take what is called a preauthorisation of residents who would like to charge to their room. I do sincerely apologise for what seems to be miscommunication between departments. I will be fully investigating the issues you faced and I will be asking my departmental managers to retrain staff where necessary.

Mark Toole

Travellers are raving about these Ilkley hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My daughter got married at The Craiglands on 2nd August 2013. I would like to put on record how good the day was. The food was excellent, and the service outstanding. I have stayed at this hotel before, and attended large functions here. The chef and his staff served up a brilliant wedding meal, and the BBQ food in the evening, was well presented and cooked. The service throughout the day was attentive.

There were some minor issues with hot water, and I hope the owners will see this, and invest that little bit extra to sort out some of those small issues that guests will pick up on.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonathan C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased to hear that your daughters special day was such a success. I would also like to thank you for your feedback on our bedrooms, we are currently working towards refurbishments and hope that you will be able to return to see the improvements.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I got married at the craiglands hotel on August 24th 2013 and my day was magical. The service that the craiglands provided went above and beyond. There staff are so helpful and polite and do the most to help you. The food that was served at our wedding was beautiful and was served with military perfection they brought all the food out at the same time which I did not expect as I had 120+ guests. The rooms where we had our service and reception we beautiful. The bedrooms me and our guests stopped in which was 29 rooms in total were beautiful an a lot of our guests said they willbe calling again to stay. Some of our guests read the reviews and were abit wary of staying but they said that the reviews were so wrong as the hotel is a delight to stop in. The hotel is a charm in the location that it is set in and was the most beautiful background for me and my husband to have our wedding photos taken. If I could do my wedding again or in the future renew our vows we would definitely be using the craiglands. Thank you for a wonderful day and your wonderful service mr & mrs nelson

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mrsjnelson
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback, it is always wonderful for us to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us especially when it is the most important day of our lives. I am also very pleased to hear that your guests also had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at the Craiglands for one night and I only wish I stayed for longer. On a arrival we got a nice warm welcome from the receptionist team, when our taxi to a near by wedding was running late, due to a nearby accident, she rang the taxi company more than once and even came outside to keep us updated.
The rooms were clean, food was great and the service was even better. We couldn't of asked for a nicer breakfast.
I will definitely be returning to this hotel and recommend to anyone that is thinking of visiting!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank KateWilkinson89
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to hear that you found all aspects of your stay to be so enjoyable. I will be passing your fantastic feedback on to my team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mark Toole
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
Oakwood Hall Hotel
Oakwood Hall Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bingley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!