“Needing a major refurbishment”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed for one night visiting relatives. It was the first time since my wedding reception in 1973 and I have to say I was disappointed. The bathroom showed signs of black mould between the tiles. There was a notice in the welcome pack stating that due to the age of the plumbing it would take up to 10 minutes for hot water to come through the shower. I was still waiting for hot water to come through the shower head after I finished having a bath 45 minutes later!

I made a couple of phone calls from the room and there was terrible interference on the line and the Wi-Fi didn't work.

This is a great pity because the building is beautiful and was once renowned as Ilkley's most prestigious hotel.

Sadly the renovation will cost them millions!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank John7550
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Guest

I would like to apologise that you found your stay to be a disappointment. We are currently working hard to develop our hotel and hope that you will be visiting us again in the near future to see the results.

There are newer reviews for The Craiglands Hotel

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've got to agree with a number of the other reviews. We had no real problems to speak of but the walls are very thin and we could clearly hear our neighbours talking. Luckily, they weren't rowdy so no harm done. And, yes, I get some of the "tired" comments. One problem we had was that the toilet flush wasn't strong enough to "get the job done" - could have been our fault, but I don't think so! Breakfast was fine and staff were pleasant and helpful.

Dear Guest

I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be pleasant and helpful. Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback it always gives us a good guide on how we can make improvements to our hotel. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I arrived with two friends earlier this month - we thought the setting was fantastic, and looked forward to a Yorkshire welcome. Alas staff in the restaurant and on reception were, well, not rude but just a bit bored. It costs nothing to smile and it means so much to visitors - we like to feel welcomed! OK the rooms were fine, but tired - especially the bathrooms and my electricity went out - not what I needed late at night (but must say the chap that sorted it out was very nice).
Attention to little details is so important - if you're going to charge serious prices for rooms (and breakfast separately which wasn't obvious) you need to up your game. You can't rest on your laurels because you're in a lovely place. A lot can be forgiven but I expect more Craiglands. Come on, step up to the mark! Smiling staff, refurbed bathrooms and new lampshades would be a great start for the Tour de France next year - you want return business, don't you?!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel R

Dear Guest

I would like to apologise that you found our staff to be some what bored during your stay, I will be passing this comment on to my departmental managers who will be sure to retrain there staff as necessary. I would also like to inform you that we are currently in the process of refurbishing some of our bathrooms and always working to make improvements throughout our hotel. We will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed here for one night when going to the theatre in Ilkley. On arrival, the exterior looked as if the hotel was quite posh, 'This is nice' I thought. The receptionist was friendly and helpful and I felt quite chuffed to have got us a deal for just £50 for the night !

On arrival in the room though, my hopes were dashed. The room was spacious and well decorated but gloomy. I looked out of the window (the window frame definitely needed a lick of paint) to find that we looked straight out onto a brick wall with the fire escape stairs to the left of our window. OK, I thought, not the best view but we are going out, so no matter. I took a trip to the bathroom and saw that the bathroom was badly dated. The previous patterned wallpaper had been painted over with thin white emulsion, which just looked scruffy and the bathroom suite was old and stained. Worst of all, the flexible pipe to the shower head was covered in black slimey mould ! This made me question firstly, how often our room was stayed in and secondly, how often or how well they actually cleaned the bathroom ! Yuk !
It was only when I unpacked and got changed to go out that I noticed how loud the telly was in the room next door. I didn't actually need to switch on the news as I could hear it clear as bell through the wall ! It was only 7pm so I assumed that the telly would be switched off by the time we got back.

We got back at 11.30pm but it seemed as if the noise next door got even louder and now we could also hear their talking as well as the T.V. It was so loud that I had to call reception to ask next door to turn it down. To be fair, they did actually switch it off and we did get some quiet. The bed was really comfy and the sheets were clean. I got a few hours sleep but it was a hot night. When I opened the window, it was raining heavily, which made plinking noises on the metal fire escape steps, keeping me awake. Yes, I know you think I'll moan about anything but it was annoying. The hotel was almost empty so I was irritated that they had given us such a poor room. As a first time guest, they should have offered something better to encourage a repeat stay. Unfortunately all they have done is ensure I'll look elsewhere in future when staying in Ilkley. Come on Craiglands - you can do better than this !

Room Tip: A room with a view, preferably not one of a wall. Take your earplugs !
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback following your stay with us. Please be sure that I will be passing all your comments on to the relevant departmental managers who will be investigating and finding a solution to your issues. We do hope that you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We went to Ilkley for a wedding. We choose this hotel because it was close to the town centre - 5 minutes walk. We found the hotel functional and value for money, but it does need an overhaul and refurbishment. The staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Do not have a room opposite the lift.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
TheCraiglandsHotel, General Manager at The Craiglands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to leave us your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found you received value for money. We are currently in the midst of some continuing refurbishments to our hotel.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Very pleasant staff, smooth check in. Room on first floor was pleasant, but patchy in places (some damp to the wallpaper) but the finish was modern and fresh. Loads of hot water (for a bath and two showers!) and a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for fried eggs in the morning.
1  Thank Dan05027

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your great feedback! It is always good for us to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Room was ok although carpet had leftover confetti scattered about .the room could have done with a good clean quite a bit of dust about.but the breakfast was brilliant.the hotel could do with a major overhaul its looking quite dated the staff were pleasant and helpful although the bar was a bit pricey.i dont think we would return to this hotel its overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologise for the fact that you found that your room was not cleaned to the standard that would be expected. I will be sure to pass this onto our Head Housekeeper. However I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and found our staff to be pleasant and helpful.

Mark Toole

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
#3 of 4 in Skipton
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!