“Lovely Hotel”

The Craiglands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ilkley
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights; it was our anniversary, and we were also down for a wedding. I was a little wary before arriving after reading the reviews, but all I can say is that those people must all be incredibly fussy, as I saw nothing wrong with the hotel. The building itself is lovely, and our room was also very nice. Nothing wrong with anything! The bed was comfy etc, the location was brilliant (10 minutes from the town centre and supermarket) and we were very happy.

As much as I liked the building, room, location etc, everything was pretty much standard for this type of hotel, and I have to say that the only thing that really stood out as something incredibly special was the food. Utterly divine. Everything we ate was delicious (thumbs up to the breakfast!) but my favourite was the salmon pasta, which was so incredible I nearly ordered another. I am a total foodie, so when I say the food was good, take my word for it!

The best thing about this hotel is definitely the chef, and the management would be well advised to hang onto him for dear life. Other than that, though, a lovely stay. Bargain price, too, and well worth it. The only reason I have taken a star off is the slight lack of interest in the customers; we took forever to get served at the bar both times we went down there, and at one point, having waited 10 minutes and asked twice at reception, the bar server finally arrived, only to take my order then walk off again before my boyfriend had a chance to order. It really was rather bizarre. Another thing I would say is that there isn't any sort of 'guidance booklet' in the rooms, for example detailing wifi, food serving times, dinner menu etc. The only way to find this out is to ask, which is rather odd; there has been a service booklet in every hotel I've ever been to. The addition of one of these- and a more attentive waiter- would have made this five stars.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had an overnight stay from a Groupon voucher that my daughter had bought as a Xmas gift and stayed last week. Check in was fine but the room had been damp, no heating and no water ! After complaining we where told that a maintenance engineer had been aware of the problem and it would be rectified upon our return from a walk around Ilkely. When we returned, still no water or heating. Complained again and were given a bottle of water to make a cup of tea ! But the problem had been that the toilet would not flush. The manager then moved us to another room, still no heating and just as damp but this one had cold water but not hot. We then went to the Bistro for a meal, it took 20mins for the person behind the bar to bring the drinks that had been ordered. The food though had been delicious. We went to the bar to order more drinks to be told it was shut as they had no staff !!! So we went back to the room. Up early the next morning still no hot water or heating. Went for breakfast, food nice again but the milk poured into the hot drinks had been sour !! So all in all not very impressed and very disappointed. Feel like my daughter had wasted her Monet. I've read more reviews on here and just don't understand how people can have such different experiences.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed in The Craiglands from 1/5/14 to 4/5/14. We had a family room and a double room split between 5 adults. The family room was dismal with frosted windows making it gloomy, the shower and the bath had no water pressure making it impossible to shower or bathe. The heating did not work at all - we were supplied with an electric heater (which are not safe). There was blatant damp on the ceiling and also the lighting was poor, with the lampshades in tatters. There were also faulty sockets. Moving onto the double room, this was a more adequate room however, the heating did not work either. Additionally the towels had stains and the housekeeping was very poor - did not supply enough toilet tissue. The reception toilets were equally bad - with no toilet tissue in any of the cubicles. The general upkeep of the hotel was poor.

In summary, at a price of over £500, I feel we were far short in value for money. The one redeeming point was a fine breakfast. Will I go again? Never.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria364
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Ilkley up a steady slope. It is a lively looking old building and is attractive upon entry with a lovely staircase. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and decorated to a high standard with lively furniture. I actually said "wow" when I entered my bedroom door! The only criticism of the room was poor water pressure in the shower, but the water was lovely and hot. The food at buffet breakfast was good, but no hot vegetarian option to sausage or bacon. The evening meals offered a variety of meat, fish and veggie, all served hot and presented nicely. The service was a bit erratic but the friendly and helpful staff we adequate compensation. The bar area was small (not sure how it would seat everyone if busy) but lovely leather chairs and sofas. A bit pricey though. All in all a good quality hotel which I would recommend and use again if in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front or side have lovely views of the gardens.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here overnight with my partner in march as a gift we recieved at xmas. We were abit apprehensive because of the bad reviews but were pleasently surprised. Check in was quick and simple and our room was clean and very spacious. Yes the bathroom was outdated but it didnt bother us. It was clean and there was hot water. The 3 course meal in the evening was lovely and we had an enjoyable evening. The breakfast buffet in the morning was fine as well. Some thing for every one. Every member of staff we came across was polite and happy to help. However the bed we had was extremely uncomfortable and resulted in me getting very little sleep and having to sleep on the little sofa in the room. I ended up going home extremely tired and ruined our night away. However I'm guessing we were just unlucky its just a shame as everything else was so nice but left feeling disapointed and unrested. Unsure if we would visit again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed Thursday night on a deal.

Nice room, very clean, good view, only downside, not one painting on the walls so gave the
room a basic look.

The hotel is in a great position , with Ilkley only minutes walk down the hill. not sure about the 6 acres of gardens, mainly carpark & woods with no access.

As we were on a deal, the menu was small,with the starter & dessert excellent & the main was good.
I have to mention, that we overslept & we were 20 minutes over the time for breakfast, I dashed down stairs & must have spoken to one of the lady managers? & apologised & asked could they do something for us, she said that she would still take our order for breakfast. What truly excellent customer service this was. The only problem with the breakfast was I thought the sausage was "off", they did apologise & said they would do more for us, we declined & they said they would look into it. I removed 1* because of this.

All in all a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cliff C
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

It was like going back 50 years! The hotel looks spooky from the outside and damp and dated on the inside! We checked in and got sent to our room (I had paid for an upgraded room), the room hadnt been cleaned, the bed had been slept in and the bathroom was disgusting! We went back to see the manager, who instead of trying to make it right just offered our money back! No apology or anything!! So here I was birthday weekend with nowhere to stay!! We booked the Coniston hotel 8 miles away which was amazing!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denise T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilkley
Dalesway Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
Rendezvous Hotel
#3 of 4 in Skipton
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to The Craiglands Hotel? Share your experiences!