1,177 results
All reviewswedding breakfastgroupon dealold buildinglovely hotelcourse mealshort breakilkley moortwo night staytown centrecow and calffull englishyogurtballroombrasserievenueleeds
Reviewed 13 June 2014

For me, hotels have to provide certain basics, otherwise, I just can’t give them a good rating... a hot shower is a basic and Craiglands didn’t provide it.

I was there on business. The course support was “do-it-yourself”; I had to ask for water on the tables, afternoon tea to be delivered and a Wi-Fi code. The staff were pleasant enough, but the Leadership team need to train them to focus on customer service. More examples, in the bar, I had to wait 10 minutes for the young lady to finish serving one round of 5 soft drinks, during which another waiter told me he could not serve me as “he had just put his gloves on for kitchen work”. I was first down to breakfast, lots of hot food, but no plates. Unclean toilet and basin in my room. Training!

Our lunchtime buffet was very nice and the evening meal was okay, but a tough piece of pork loin was unpalatable. They accommodated us in the bar to watch the world cup opening game...thank you for that. By the by, there are no outside seats in the sun to enjoy a drink on a sunny summers evening. My room was fine, a little dated, but 3 star accommodation.

Sorry Craiglands, you need to up your game.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank machinmad
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have stayed at Craiglands twice now and the second time had a huge room with a separate dressing room and large bathroom. The bath was massive and had lots of hot water. The room overlooked the back and houses across the road so we had the blinds down all the time. The bed wasn't very comfy and the pillows hard. The room needs a bit of tidying up, wallpaper coming away and curtain hooks sorting out. The breakfast was disappointing. It was only very average. The only bread was sliced bread for toast, the eggs looked like the joke ones you can buy. It certainly isn't worth paying £10 for when there are lots of opportunities in Ilkley to purchase meals. The evening meal was lovely, very hot and the staff very accommodating. It took me 3 attempts to obtain email confirmation of my booking and I've yet to check my bank statement to see if I've been charged twice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YorkshireRosie
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Having already left a good review about the value for price whilst I was still at the hotel, which I still stand by in term of value for money. However, since leaving the hotel I had noticed money missing from my account. When we arrived at the hotel we were asked if we would like to make charges to the room, which I agreed to, the lady on reception said we will just need your card to pre authorise £130 but it will not be taken from your account.. yes that great, no problem... on check out the final bill (including the £130 room price that was pre authorised on my card) came to £176. To which I asked the lady do you take that with the £130 you pre authorised? To which she replied no we don't have card details for you, really? Because you did a pre auth when we arrived? Oh but that's just a pre auth we don't actually take the money from your account. . Ok! To which I thought strange as I could tell the £130 was already not in my account.. but thought, oh well must just cancel off the pre auth when they take the new payment. However, noticed on my account the the £130 is still being held in process by my bank although the full balance (that they took as a separate payment) is showing as left my account. Having sent 3 emails including screen prints of bank statements with no reply yesterday, I called today and spoke to a receptionist "catherine i think" who seemed to think it's not their fault, even though she said the only way we wouldn't use the pre authorised amount is if you paid by cash or a different card. . Well I did pay on the same card, hence me questioning at checkout when your staff said they didn't have card details for me.... so she then call me back to say they can't cancel the pre auth I just have to wait untill my bank cancels it... really? I want to speak to a manager, sure IL put you through to the manager.. oh that will be interesting since I've sent him 3 emails he's not replied to.. oh he's off for 2 days.. really? But you are putting me through right? Strange! Anyway I was put through to Helen the "duty manager" who says she has no authorisation to deal with this but will look into it and speak to the General manager and call me back... what no one I have spoken to seems to accept is that when I checked out the receptionist didn't minus the pre authorised amount, she took a brand new payment for the full amount.. leaving the £130 still in pre authorised state with my bank.. However clearly this is the fault of me and the bank...? Not happy with customer service relating to problems... would never pay by card in this hotel again and would advice all other customers not to allow pre authorisations on debit cards ... Check Your Statements... not a happy customer and still £130 lighter that my bank won't allow me access to.. don't worry its not like the general public have bills to pay!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lynsey J
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked a room at this hotel to stay on our wedding night ,so did 12 of our friends,we were very disappointed with the rooms. Ours was an executive room, it had black mould in the grouting ,there was a layer of dust in the bathroom and the water wasn't very hot,the room was dirty and the décor was old. My matron of honours room was the same too. When I complained,the manager eventually got back to me to discuss the problems we had and offered us a reduction on our next visit and said he would send me a confirmation via e mail, that was in October 2013,since then we havent heard a word from him.Not very good service to say in total there was 14 guests that stayed that night that had attended our wedding. We had hoped for our stay to be a bit special especially on our special day and it being a so called executive room. The one good thing was the breakfast the next morning,it was lovely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrsfloppamop
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I took a dance break to the above hotel with some friends in September last year, This break had been rescheduled as the Hotel had double booked on the original dates, so the group numbers were well down.
My room was fine - even if it overlooked the laundry, But those of my friends were not acceptable, one couple an hour or so with a staff member trying to find an appropriate double room, before the staffer suggested they joined the twin beds into one in their original room. They had no hot water. Our other friends had a microscopic en-suite, they could not close the door, and they also had no hot water. Not acceptable.
The Dancing itself was fine the floor was good and Paul's music up to scratch.
The food was good.