1,178 results
All reviewswedding breakfastgroupon dealold buildinglovely hotelcourse mealshort breakilkley moortwo night staytown centrecow and calffull englishyogurtballroombrasserievenueleeds
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked two nights stay at Craiglands to redeem our a Buy A Gift meal voucher. We booked the meal on our check in and handed in our voucher,
We were very happy with our room and the friendly team, and until we arrived at The Brasserie for our eagerly anticipated fine dining experience, things were going very well.
Sadly due to a mix up, our reservation had been overlooked and the Brasserie was deserted. We enquired at the bar who we should inform we were ready to eat and were told to wait in the bar and someone would come for us.
At this point it was apparent we were the only independent guests in the hotel, the other guests were with a coach party.
The waiter who arrived told us we should have booked as the chef couldn't just make us a three course meal as they had nothing in for us. We explained we had booked and even handed in our voucher so perhaps he would like to check?
After a while I went to reception to see what was happening and a menu was hurriedly being created for us. We were pleased that we were to proceed with our three course meal.

However when the menu arrived it bore no resemblance to the treats described on the hotel website. It was the same menu the coach party were having, except we were given larger plates, and we had the option of a steak at a £5 supplement.
Our gift voucher cost £60 and whilst I acknowledge some of this will be retained by the voucher company, for this sum we did expect slightly more than the disappointing menu choice we were given.
When we were led to our table, this was not in the Brasserie but in the communal dining room with the coach party. So much for our special romantic meal for two!

We decided to decline the meal, and despite the management team offering us a complimentary stay with a meal at a later date, we were so disappointed we asked for a partial refund. This was credited to our card on our departure.

This experience was such a shame as potentially this hotel could be delightful.

The mix up could have been retrieved at any stage along the way, an apology and a 'whoops we got it wrong' would have made the situation better, but by the time we decided enough was enough the resolution offered was too little, too late.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FoxyMirfield
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends for one night as part of a car tour. It is a large outdated hotel set in overgrown grounds about a mile from the town centre.

At the time of our visit they had a wedding reception and dinner and dance taking place in the hotel at the same time. Consequently, when we arrived the car park was full and we ended up parking on a very poorly maintained overflow parking area.

Due to the two events taking place the hotel was very busy. Despite this the reception staff we very friendly and efficient. However, I did ask the receptionist if the room we had been allocated was in a quiet part of the hotel. She said it was on the second floor away from the wedding and the dance.

The room itself was small and very dated. The enamel to the bath was coming away and had a plastic shower curtain rather than a shower screen. There is nothing worse that having the shower curtain wrap around you when you are taking a shower, which it did constantly. Ugh!

Our concerns were realised when the band struck up and we heard the constant dull banging of the bass line, which went on until after 1.00am in the morning. Should we complain? is it worth it, bearing mind we were only staying one night? We decided it wasn't worth the hassle. On reflection we should have complained.

We had booked bed, breakfast and evening meal. The breakfast was very good with buffet style continental and English breakfast offerings. The dinner was a limited choice menu. Fairly basic selections - Pie & Chips, Fish and Chips etc. Far away from fine dining. However, the one bright spark, which made the meal a real success, was our server Kym. What a character. We appreciated the quality of her service, her humour and her friendliness. As a result, the meal was very enjoyable.

Not a place we would return to. The hotel needs complete refurbishment.

Room Tip: Check for events taking place before booking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Morrie
Reviewed 13 June 2014

For me, hotels have to provide certain basics, otherwise, I just can’t give them a good rating... a hot shower is a basic and Craiglands didn’t provide it.

I was there on business. The course support was “do-it-yourself”; I had to ask for water on the tables, afternoon tea to be delivered and a Wi-Fi code. The staff were pleasant enough, but the Leadership team need to train them to focus on customer service. More examples, in the bar, I had to wait 10 minutes for the young lady to finish serving one round of 5 soft drinks, during which another waiter told me he could not serve me as “he had just put his gloves on for kitchen work”. I was first down to breakfast, lots of hot food, but no plates. Unclean toilet and basin in my room. Training!

Our lunchtime buffet was very nice and the evening meal was okay, but a tough piece of pork loin was unpalatable. They accommodated us in the bar to watch the world cup opening game...thank you for that. By the by, there are no outside seats in the sun to enjoy a drink on a sunny summers evening. My room was fine, a little dated, but 3 star accommodation.

Sorry Craiglands, you need to up your game.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank machinmad
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have stayed at Craiglands twice now and the second time had a huge room with a separate dressing room and large bathroom. The bath was massive and had lots of hot water. The room overlooked the back and houses across the road so we had the blinds down all the time. The bed wasn't very comfy and the pillows hard. The room needs a bit of tidying up, wallpaper coming away and curtain hooks sorting out. The breakfast was disappointing. It was only very average. The only bread was sliced bread for toast, the eggs looked like the joke ones you can buy. It certainly isn't worth paying £10 for when there are lots of opportunities in Ilkley to purchase meals. The evening meal was lovely, very hot and the staff very accommodating. It took me 3 attempts to obtain email confirmation of my booking and I've yet to check my bank statement to see if I've been charged twice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YorkshireRosie
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Having already left a good review about the value for price whilst I was still at the hotel, which I still stand by in term of value for money. However, since leaving the hotel I had noticed money missing from my account. When we arrived at the hotel we were asked if we would like to make charges to the room, which I agreed to, the lady on reception said we will just need your card to pre authorise £130 but it will not be taken from your account.. yes that great, no problem... on check out the final bill (including the £130 room price that was pre authorised on my card) came to £176. To which I asked the lady do you take that with the £130 you pre authorised? To which she replied no we don't have card details for you, really? Because you did a pre auth when we arrived? Oh but that's just a pre auth we don't actually take the money from your account. . Ok! To which I thought strange as I could tell the £130 was already not in my account.. but thought, oh well must just cancel off the pre auth when they take the new payment. However, noticed on my account the the £130 is still being held in process by my bank although the full balance (that they took as a separate payment) is showing as left my account. Having sent 3 emails including screen prints of bank statements with no reply yesterday, I called today and spoke to a receptionist "catherine i think" who seemed to think it's not their fault, even though she said the only way we wouldn't use the pre authorised amount is if you paid by cash or a different card. . Well I did pay on the same card, hence me questioning at checkout when your staff said they didn't have card details for me.... so she then call me back to say they can't cancel the pre auth I just have to wait untill my bank cancels it... really? I want to speak to a manager, sure IL put you through to the manager.. oh that will be interesting since I've sent him 3 emails he's not replied to.. oh he's off for 2 days.. really? But you are putting me through right? Strange! Anyway I was put through to Helen the "duty manager" who says she has no authorisation to deal with this but will look into it and speak to the General manager and call me back... what no one I have spoken to seems to accept is that when I checked out the receptionist didn't minus the pre authorised amount, she took a brand new payment for the full amount.. leaving the £130 still in pre authorised state with my bank.. However clearly this is the fault of me and the bank...? Not happy with customer service relating to problems... would never pay by card in this hotel again and would advice all other customers not to allow pre authorisations on debit cards ... Check Your Statements... not a happy customer and still £130 lighter that my bank won't allow me access to.. don't worry its not like the general public have bills to pay!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends