US$118
Chevin End Guest House(Ilkley)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,131 results
All reviewswedding breakfastgroupon dealold buildinglovely hotelcourse mealilkley moorcouldn't faulttown centrecow and calffull englishyogurtballroombrasserievenueleeds
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Craiglands is a hotel that has seen better days, but they are renovating the bedrooms that are run of the mill. My big turn off was the service in the restaurant the young waitress who had received little training, and would improve with some basic training on how to serve customers.Our evening meal when it arrived was no very spectacular.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights for business trip and unfortunately had a very poor experience.

It began by finding the car park jam packed when I arrived and the overflow car park is a bit of a trek away. I then checked in and went up my room where my key card didn't work. Went back downstairs with all my things, reception swiped the card again and when I went back up again the key card didn't work. At the third time I was let in by maintenance who then spent about half an hour outside my door trying to fix the lock. I was told that they had fixed it but when I went outside later and came back, again the keycard didn't work. At this point I asked reception for another room and they put me next door so I can't fault the staff.

Food here is very average and very overpriced. It was £3.60 for a soft drink! You're better off going into town and picking something up there.

Bedroom walls are paper thin! I picked the hotel because it was so close to the place I was visiting so thought I could get a bit of a lie in but was woken up at 6am by people next door getting up. You really can hear everything - talking, creaky floorboards, shower running, even the sound of draws being opened and closed! On the 2nd evening I heard loud music from the function area downstairs, I called reception and they said that it as a prom which was going to go on until midnight - I asked if I could be moved to a higher floor and they moved me to a room at the other side of the hotel on the same floor so you can't fault the staff. While this room was away from the function room noise you could hear what sounded like the heating or air conditioning units outside which was pretty loud too.

It's a shame because the building itself is so beautiful but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again and most definitely wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Joanne R
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I cannot thank the team at craiglands enough for a fantastic wedding. The night before the wedding I stayed over with my female relatives and I was upgraded to the bridal suit early. We went for a lovely meal in the restaurant where kim and josh looked after our every need kim also helped to entertain my 1year old so I could enjoy the evening before my wedding. When I got to the room it was brilliant the bed was soo comfy I didnt want to share it with my husband the following the evening!! There was a little gift and card to celebrate our wedding which was a lovely touch. Throughout the day chris and maj helped everything to run smoothly and organised all the guests. There were a few last minute changes to table plans etc and they took it all in their stride. I cannot thank the team and the hotel enough for making our day so special and nicky for helping us to organise everything I just wish we would have seen us on the day!! I would highly recommend this hotel and I hope to stay here again soon they were brilliant with my daughter and all the guests!! Thankyou so much!! X

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked two nights stay at Craiglands to redeem our a Buy A Gift meal voucher. We booked the meal on our check in and handed in our voucher,
We were very happy with our room and the friendly team, and until we arrived at The Brasserie for our eagerly anticipated fine dining experience, things were going very well.
Sadly due to a mix up, our reservation had been overlooked and the Brasserie was deserted. We enquired at the bar who we should inform we were ready to eat and were told to wait in the bar and someone would come for us.
At this point it was apparent we were the only independent guests in the hotel, the other guests were with a coach party.
The waiter who arrived told us we should have booked as the chef couldn't just make us a three course meal as they had nothing in for us. We explained we had booked and even handed in our voucher so perhaps he would like to check?
After a while I went to reception to see what was happening and a menu was hurriedly being created for us. We were pleased that we were to proceed with our three course meal.

However when the menu arrived it bore no resemblance to the treats described on the hotel website. It was the same menu the coach party were having, except we were given larger plates, and we had the option of a steak at a £5 supplement.
Our gift voucher cost £60 and whilst I acknowledge some of this will be retained by the voucher company, for this sum we did expect slightly more than the disappointing menu choice we were given.
When we were led to our table, this was not in the Brasserie but in the communal dining room with the coach party. So much for our special romantic meal for two!

We decided to decline the meal, and despite the management team offering us a complimentary stay with a meal at a later date, we were so disappointed we asked for a partial refund. This was credited to our card on our departure.

This experience was such a shame as potentially this hotel could be delightful.

The mix up could have been retrieved at any stage along the way, an apology and a 'whoops we got it wrong' would have made the situation better, but by the time we decided enough was enough the resolution offered was too little, too late.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FoxyMirfield
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends for one night as part of a car tour. It is a large outdated hotel set in overgrown grounds about a mile from the town centre.

At the time of our visit they had a wedding reception and dinner and dance taking place in the hotel at the same time. Consequently, when we arrived the car park was full and we ended up parking on a very poorly maintained overflow parking area.

Due to the two events taking place the hotel was very busy. Despite this the reception staff we very friendly and efficient. However, I did ask the receptionist if the room we had been allocated was in a quiet part of the hotel. She said it was on the second floor away from the wedding and the dance.

The room itself was small and very dated. The enamel to the bath was coming away and had a plastic shower curtain rather than a shower screen. There is nothing worse that having the shower curtain wrap around you when you are taking a shower, which it did constantly. Ugh!

Our concerns were realised when the band struck up and we heard the constant dull banging of the bass line, which went on until after 1.00am in the morning. Should we complain? is it worth it, bearing mind we were only staying one night? We decided it wasn't worth the hassle. On reflection we should have complained.

We had booked bed, breakfast and evening meal. The breakfast was very good with buffet style continental and English breakfast offerings. The dinner was a limited choice menu. Fairly basic selections - Pie & Chips, Fish and Chips etc. Far away from fine dining. However, the one bright spark, which made the meal a real success, was our server Kym. What a character. We appreciated the quality of her service, her humour and her friendliness. As a result, the meal was very enjoyable.

Not a place we would return to. The hotel needs complete refurbishment.

Room Tip: Check for events taking place before booking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends