“Rude and ignorant”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Medissa Shoes
More attraction details
Owner description: The UK'S leading specialists on hard to find ladies sizes. AA & B narrow shoes sizes 5 to 11 1/2 C/D & E/EE sizes 9 1/2 to 12
Liversedge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Rude and ignorant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This establishment is close to my home and not knowing what type of shoes it sold, I thought it reasonable to have a look. I had taken no more than 2 steps through the entrance when I was stopped by someone who met my perception of a prison guard who fired questions at me re the size and width of my feet. When I answered I was asked to leave as they had nothing for me. I was given no explanattion and left bemused. Only when I researched via the web did I realise why. Surely this female guard's approach was unnecessary.

Visited August 2012
17 Thank JohnandWendy39
Ian H H, Owner at Medissa Shoes, responded to this review, 11 February 2015
Dear Wendy,
Your statement does not add up at all. Firstly we have been in business since 1991. I have been in the trade for 40 years. We cannot survive without selling shoes. So any customer coming through our door is a potential customer that could stay for life. So firstly we say good Morning. We then need to know what your size and fit is, because without this we cannot help anyone at all. If a customer tell us a size we do not do, you expect people to believe that we simple asked you leave without any explanation? That beggars belief. A standard reply would be I am sorry but we only do Narrow fitting shoes in your size, we will have nothing to fit you”. Why on earth would we not say this to you? This would make us the most ignorant people in the world. It would also disgust other customers that were on our premises. Shame on anyone who believes this farfetched story. This could be your daughter or friend that is being verbally attacked through social media without any recourse. My staff have been with me for over 10 years and are nice polite people.
Let me give you an example of a bad experience I had. A lady entered the shop and ii greeted her. I then asked her what size and width she was looking for. This lady’s reply to me was “I am just looking”. Knowing from looking at her feet that she was out of our special size range I explained to her that we only do AA shoes 4 widths narrower than her feet and that we could not fit her. She replied “I will look anyway” and proceeded to go dominantly into a private area of our premises. I then told the lady that I was sorry but she could not go and look in the back of our premises. This lady stormed off uttering abuse as she left. This is probably nearer the case. It is hard for customers to understand what AA shoes are. We understand this.
Medissa shoes are specialists in Ladies large size shoes size 9 ½ to 12 in all widths. Under size 9 ½ we specialize in narrow fit shoes (Approximately 0.3% of the population). These shoes are specially made on combination lasts for Narrow feet with even narrower heels. Customers with standard or wide feet in under size 9 ½ cannot try the shoes on because they will stretch the heel fit and ruin the shoes for AA customers. Something that AA customers will understand but not Standard customers. In the past we have allowed customers with standard feet to look but asked nicely that they do not try them and explained why. This has resulted in 99% of these ladies saying “They do not look narrow” and forcing their foot into them. Our request for them not to try the shoes are ignored and construed to be rude. If we ask them nicely not to try the shoe on this is construed as being rude as well. Medissa Shoes moved away from a Town Centre because passing trade is not useful to us. In our present location we have no sign that says we are a shop. Nothing that says we sell shoes. The shoes are hidden behind screens to stop passing customers wanting to come in and try shoes. We do not actively promote ourselves in the area. We keep very low key.
However we have had several local people pop their heads in to ask what we do. All of these people have received the same Good Morning and been explained what we do. The majority of them leave thanking us for the explanation and are quite happy. Some however get annoyed with us because they have had a wasted journey.
I hope we have a good relationship with our neighbours. If any ever need help please pop in. However I will only let you try shoes if you are within our size range. If you think this is rude then I am sorry.
Many regular customers have asked me why I have never defended myself on Trip Advisor. My answer is better put by the late Brian Jones of the Stones
“When this you see remember me and bare me in your mind. Let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Brian Jones
1968 ”

London, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Who knew I’d find the best ‘hard-to-find shoes’ shop between the UK and America in the Midlands!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Finding shoes for my narrow feet was never easy, and my plight only worsened after our move last year to the UK. Recently, I found Medissa Shoes (www.Medissashoes.com - specializing in women’s narrow and hard to find sizes) on an online search and placed an order. Imagine my surprise and delight when Medissa’s owner Ian, noting that I was a new customer, rang me to verify my shoe size and fitting requirements. I was so impressed by his knowledge and description of his inventory, that I persuaded my husband the very next weekend to drive with me from London to Liversedge, a three-hour trip, to visit the shop. We were well rewarded. Not only did I come away with a beautiful array of shoes that fit me, I found a shop proprietor who knows his stuff and still practices the art of great customer service. This shop is a wonderful resource for UK residents. Most of you won’t need to drive to Liversedge: Medissa’s online ordering is easy and is backed by very prompt, thorough service. Medissa’s owners also take a selection of inventory on the road on weekends.

Visited March 2013
10 Thank Maugie_L
Ian H H, Owner at Medissa Shoes, responded to this review, 11 February 2015
May I thank you for your kind review. The poor reviews have caused great upset among us.
Kind regards,