“Standard”

DD's Services
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Wentbridge
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Standard”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Travelling down to Leicestershire and needed a late breakfast/lunch to quench hunger.

Upon arrival seated immediately by a kind member of staff and seated.
We all ordered the "Standard" (English Breakfast) - some with additional sides including fried bread - and food all arrived reasonably quickly and was delicious.
However, after a bit of confusion we discovered the path to the toilets was through a door marked "emergency exit" and it appeared we weren't the only ones left confused.

Good food, standard service, strange signage.

Durham, United Kingdom
“The Most Hilariously Rude Cafe in the World”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We weren't expecting much from the rather tatty looking cafe, just a cup of tea and the opportunity to use the bathroom. We'd been driving for a couple of hours and we both needed the loo and we're looking forward to a hot drink, possibly a little snack and a rest from driving.

When we asked to use the loo, we were informed rather sharply that the toilets are in the service station. Far enough, maybe they don't have a bathroom. We were just about to head over there, when another customer told us that, in fact, there were bathrooms in the restaurant. They were down an unmarked corridor, behind a door marked "fire exit." So, off we trotted, and just as told they were behind the door marked "fire exit," very clean and well maintained bathrooms... probably in this state through lack of use, I should imagine.

When we went to back into the hauntingly empty restaurant, I tried to order a tea and a coffee. Practically the second I approached the counter the woman behind it closed it for the day and redirected me to another counter, at the other end of the restaurant.

The coffee order was taken by the rude woman who has the phobia about customers using the bathrooms. It was thrown together with a lot of sighing, tutting and grimacing. Halfway through this ordeal she asked "how many sugars?" which struck me as an odd question. Isn't it normal for customers to add sugar to their own taste these days? I know my wife varies the amount of sugar in her coffee depending on how bad it is. I suspected that she might need more than normal for this attempt.

Paying for one tea and one coffee had to take place at another counter, of course... and, they wouldn't take a card payment because the order was under £5. To be fair, she did apologise for the fact that they'd only take cash.

Having paid we then spent an amusing five minutes playing "hunt the spoon." There were no tea spoons on any of the tables. Eventually, we had to ask, and they did a quick hunt in the kitchen for a spoon. Good news... they had one. Phew.

My wife stirred her coffee, we took our drinks and we left. It's been a long time since I felt so uncomfortable in a place that I wouldn't finish a cup of tea in there, but the place is very, very odd indeed."

My only advice to anyone travelling on the A1 near Wentworth is to hold your bladder a few more miles and try somewhere, anywhere else... unless you're a fan of the absurd, in which case I highly recommend the experience.

My wife and I are still laughing our collective socks off about this incident. We are both seasoned travellers and have eaten in strange places all over the world. This place, without doubt, has been the rudest and strangest we've ever been to.

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank Filmutopia
NEWCASTLE
“very rude lady on arrival”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We where travelling to Nottingham Thursday 5june . we always stop here for a cup of tea & the toilet. Upon arrival I was met by a really rude women who blocked my path &said you can't use the toilets here mind, she never even let me say we where going to have a cup of tea. She was very very unpleasant. Never ate here so can't comment

• Visited June 2014
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Very unwelcoming and rude. Wasn't able to sample the food as was so shocked by the reception when we arrived.

Visited April 2014
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Polite service, hot tasty food and clean facilities”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Do not be put off by the exterior, this cafe provides simple, good food at a reasonable price. We have stopped here twice for refreshment on our way south from Northumberland. The welcome is friendly and polite, the place is very clean and uncluttered and the food is hot, freshly cooked and tasty. The toilets are well stocked and although not "posh" they smell fresh and are spotlessly clean. It is a pleasure to have a break there. I hope they do well in their venture. We will be stopping there regularly.

• Visited March 2014