“South Hampton white taxi excursions the best!”
Review of Stonehenge

Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Amesbury
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the most important survivals of prehistoric England, Stonehenge consists of a group of huge rough-cut stones, some more than 20 feet high, arranged in two concentric circles.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We arrived in south Hampton anxiously awaiting out private car to Stonehinge. Half an hour before our driver was to pick us up, he texted us and said he had been in a bad accident and couldn’t pick us up. Our hearts sank! A few minutes later we got a text from Dave at south Hampton white taxi service who said he was available to pick us up and go on our planned tour. Dave arrived and wished us away to Stonehinge. Dave suggested a few places along the way he thought we would enjoy. He took to Woodhinge, Old Sarum, Stonehinge and the Salisbury Cathederal. He suggested an old pub in Salisbury for lunch. Food was good and it was certainly authentic. The ceilings were under 6’ and very interesting. Dave was charming, informing and made our day a very memorable one. Thanks Dave you can book Dave at 447393848381. You won’t go wrong

Date of experience: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (12,501)
All reviews
in 126 reviews
"stone circle"
in 278 reviews

Reviewed 1 week ago

But you may be a bit disappointed, as I was, since the movies and documentaries make it far grander than it is.
Museum was great and volunteers there were inspiring in their enthusiasm.

Date of experience: December 2018
EnglishHeritageTA, Public Relations Manager at Stonehenge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for your kind words about the enthusiasm of our volunteers. I will be sure to pass on your praise.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Having moved from Essex to Swindon some 6 years ago, it was on my local bucket list of things to do. Visited last sunday on a whim. I was quite surprised at the individual ticket price to be honest (about £20), but instead signed up for an annual membership to English Heritage, which seemed great value in comparison to a one off visit. The site itself is fascinating and I guess that if you are considering a visit here, you will find it fascinating too. In terms of the organisation, one of the best aspects of the visit, is the enthusiasm of the staff. There were numerous guides at the stones and around the site in general, who clearly had a passion for their subject and were able to answer any questions you might have. I understand from other reviews I read that these guys are volunteers. Irrespective as to whether this is true, they are a great addition to the attraction, and if they do it all for nothing, then fair play. There was a very regular bus service from the visitors centre to the stones, and a great audio guide. Visitors shop and cafe was a bit on the pricey side. Stonehenge is a national treasure. Go and see it, the place is full of mystery, and a sense of earthiness, if that makes sense. Wonderful experience, I now want to learn more!

Date of experience: December 2018

Thank you so much for your review. I will be sure to pass on your praise to both our staff and volunteers who are as you say, full of enthusiasm and so knowledgeable. Now you are an English Heritage member I hope you will visit us again. Making Connections - the special exhibition with the British Museum - is on until April and after that we will be replacing it with something completely different but just as fascinating (details are under wraps for now), so maybe you will come back for that.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I really enjoyed seeing Stonehenge. Experiencing the massive structure. Wondering how they moved those giant stones and created the structure. We didn't take the tour that takes you inside Stonehenge, which you cannot do on your own. But it was still a great experience just viewing it. There is also a great gift shop there where I picked up a few items.

Date of experience: January 2018

Thank you for your review. It is amazing to think of the time, effort, skill, co-ordination of people and materials and the vision it would have taken to construct Stonehenge. I always think it really challenges our perception that our Neolithic ancestors were 'primitive'. As you mentioned, it is possible to visit inside the Stone Circle but this has to be booked in advance and takes place outside of our normal opening hours. Maybe we will see you again for this unique experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My family and I visited Stonehenge in Nov 18 using a hire car. Whilst I thought entry was a bit on the expensive side, I guess it is the price we pay for learning something about our past. As a UK non-resident, the tour through the museum at the main facility was a great learning experience. I even had an in depth discussion with one of the volunteer guides. We then hopped on the organised bus for the short drive to the actual site. We spent about one hour there; visitors cannot go anywhere near the stones - there is a defined walking track that circumvents the stones but one can get close enough for great photos.

In sum, why would you visit England and not visit Stonehenge? It is iconic; a must see and that is definitely another tick off my bucket list. Next.

Date of experience: November 2018

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your discussion with one of our volunteers. They are an extremely knowledgeable, dedicated and enthusiastic group and I will be sure to pass on your compliment. Just to address your point about the entrance fee, I wanted to reassure you that English Heritage is a charity which cares for over 400 historic places, many of which are free to visit. So, although you may have felt Stonehenge was on the expensive side, we do put the money to good use looking after the collection of other sites in our care which we couldn't do without your support, so we are very grateful to everyone who visits us at Stonehenge.

Enjoy your next bucket list experience!