“Great Disappointment”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wickford, United Kingdom
“Great Disappointment”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel 6 months in advance for 3 nights for us and a family group who were visiting from overseas. The Website showed really nice pictures, read very well and advertised it was recently refurbished. I must stress that we are both seasoned travellers familiar with all types and levels of accommodation and are not too fussy with high expectations. On arrival we found there to be no dedicated parking and had to pay for the public car park opposite which was unexpected but not a great issue. Just a good job we had some change on us. Whilst checking in we were coldly greeted by the reception staff with the room keys harshly handed over and no explanation of check out time, breakfast etc... The journey to our rooms took us up stairs and through a short corridor which were both in need of a good vacuum like the reception area. Whilst entering our room we were also disappointed with the general cleanliness and quickly went to view the other room we had booked which was the Beatles room. This was more dirty than our room and also had a large damp mouldy patch in the Bathroom ceiling. Both rooms were clearly not recently refurbished and left my wife and I feeling somewhat embarrassed in having made the booking as a family treat. My wife spoke to reception about this and the gentleman promised to ask the manager to come to our room which never happened so we cancelled the last 2 nights of our stay after finding alternative accommodation. The room my wife and I were staying in was directly above the function room which was also used as the breakfast room. There was a wedding reception that night and the music was so loud and caused the bed to vibrate so much that we ended up sleeping on a sofa bed in the other room with our other family members being serenaded by inebriated until 2 a.m. by shouting and swearing drunken party goers both inside and outside the hotel. The breakfast was an unorganised chaos and a free for all and we asked to speak with the manager on check out. The manager did not offer any discount and failed to see anything wrong with us having to vacate our room to find refuge away from the noise and the other issues we had identified which included health and safety issues which we will be following up with the HSE. I could explain further issues but have captured the main items of disappointment. Such a shame, this place has the potential of being lovely but is greatly let down by its lack of management in many respects.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs - I would rather sleep in my car.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank David T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Everything is amazing. From the location, to the service and food, everything was perfect.
Friendly and relaxing atmosphere. I would like to come back as soon is possible. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: "Higher floors have less A/C unit noise"
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 824Barbara
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed there a couple weeks ago on a business trip. Well, it nice place. I got a nice suite on the first floor, one that overlooks the garden. And let me tell you, it is a beautiful one. Room was clean well looked after during my stay. I tried the restaurant on my second day. It is actually quite good. Overall good value for money. I would defensively recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Recently visited the antrobus hotel for 2 nights. We were warmly welcomed by reception staff and checked in. We stayed in the Beatles room (a room the Beatles stayed in while in Amesbury) for the novelty. It was amazing! So big, very clean, their is memorabilia all over the walls :) we had dinner in the hotel (the duck was delicious) and breakfast, it was all good. The little bar that is in the hotel is also great. All the staff lovely, very friendly, very approachable and can't do enough for you! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I can't wait to go back. Brilliant location if you are visiting stonehenge or Salisbury. :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked a family room to get the triple bed format and it was a great room with good space. The restuarant is currently not open to the public but they will do food for their guests. It was a busy night and alas we did not get much sleep due to the noise from the people passing the hotel going up to Stonehenge (not the hotels fault!)
The hotel policy allows you to have a key so you can go in and out as you please and this was one of the reasons we booked this hotel, as well as being the best accommodation nearest Stonhenge (walk straight out the front door, turn left and walk about 1.5 miles on designated path to the 'henge)
Good cooked breakfast, easy going staff and a very pleasant stay.Nice garden space. Parking across the road in a public carpark, but cost reasobable.

I would recommend this hotel for a 1 night stay for visiting Stonehenge.

Room Tip: Call beforehand to discuss room(s) and layout etc I booked direct with the hotel and I feel I got a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
nottingham
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The booking process was fine. I had to call the hotel prior to our stay to amend our booking from a double room to a family room. The person I spoke to on the phone was really helpful. Check in was fine. The room, however was not! Very uncomfortable beds. The bathroom was outrageous! Water damage all over the ceiling and peeling wallpaper, mildew and a half rotten bath panel. I was looking forward to having a bath there but there was no way I would have used it. The shower screen was really flimsy and the shower itself wasn't clean.
Overall the room was very dated, missing handles off wardrobe doors etc. Desperately needs a massive update!
On a more positive note, the breakfast was very good! I won't be staying again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank clrf01

Travellers are raving about these Amesbury hotels

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hello, after arriving at the hotel we were shocked as the man on reception didn't seem convinced that we had actually booked a room. I had to show him my email confirmation. We had a 19 month old toddler and asked for a carrycot in our application. After being placed in room 49 on the second floor and dragging all if our baby stuff with us we were met with a camp bed in the room. The room to be honest was disgusting. I spoke to a lady in the bar and explained that I never complain but this time I felt I had to. There was cobwebs all over the room, the floor was Un-hoovered, the shower was filthy and smelled of mould. We were heading out for a wedding and I had to shower. There was no temperature control on the the shower and it was painfully hot. I explained to the lady and asked to move. We dragged all of our stuff back downstairs and were placed in room 15 which was better. My son had managed to find a cracked lightbulb that had fallen from the bed light. We did however have a decent sleep in a comfy bed. Our breakfast the next day was awful. After waiting 20 minutes to get some cutlery we then had to wait a further 10 minutes for some breakfast to be places on the hot plate. To our amazement a plate of frid eggs was brought out to go with the 2 pieces of fried bread. We then waited nearly another 10 minutes for some bacon. After which time the eggs were solid. Not the cooked breakfast we were hoping for. We also had to borrow cups and butter from other tables. As did numerous guests. The young lady who was on duty was obviously run off her feet dealing with clearing tables, delivering food, dealing with guests requests and dealing with the front desk. When we were leaving reception we explained our concerns and were given a £20 discount. After a 3 hour journey to get to the hotel this is not the stay we were hoping for. I can definately say that we will never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank tonymurray678
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Travelodge Amesbury Stonehenge Hotel
#5 of 16 in Salisbury
Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Best Western Red Lion Hotel
#10 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Antrobus Hotel? Share your experiences!