“Good accommodation and friendly welcome”
Review of Fairlawn House

Fairlawn House
Ranked #1 of 3 Amesbury B&B and Inns
Newport, United Kingdom
“Good accommodation and friendly welcome”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Myself and a colleague stayed overnight at Fairlawn House on business. The welcome was very warm and informative. The rooms were comfortable and well equipped. The shower that was in the room I was in (Room 8) was excellent. Even though the bar was well stocked, we decided to go elsewhere for something to eat and drink. We were informed of where was best to eat and the fact that it was only a three minute walk was even better. Cash points (ATMs)were available close to the accommodation and parking was close too. The breakfast was good and plentiful and nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Brad H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
Shropshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We visited Amesbury to attend a Saturday evening family party and wanted a place within walking distance. Other reviewers rated the Fairlawn well - and, now home, we can do so too. We weren't there for long, however, and didn't have time to use any facilities other than the room (clean, comfortable and with first class shower cubicle if no bath) and breakfast (well presented and generous). On-street parking immediately outside the front door was available and gave us no worries but, had we wanted it, an offer was made of arrangements to park on a nearby site should we want. The wifi had dropped out during the day but the proprietors had worked hard to re-establish - which sadly didn't do us any good but I was sure that had I stayed longer it would have been fixed. Having already checked in, I was told in Antrobus House that had we asked before booking we would have been offered some sort of referral discount but, having booked & paid on line, this didn't come our way. Perhaps I should have asked for a refund but I wanted to move on promptly in the morning and, given that the cost seemed fair, didn't bother - nevertheless others might want to bear the possibility in mind. Would we go back? Yes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our room was for 2 nights , the first night was a bit rough on the old back as the mattress was nasty , you could feel every spring in the bed. Also every time we turned over or moved the headboard made a noise against the wall, my husband ended up wedging his shoe between the bed and the wall. The next morning I mentioned the mattress and was told it was a new one ? I asked if they could get a mattress topper and when we came back in the evening they had been out and purchased a topper, which did improve the mattress situation. The furniture in our room and decor in need of some TLC. The owners very friendly and the breakfast and choices of food good and very well tended too by the staff

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 9 October 2013

On arrival I was greeted warmly by Keith, he was very helpful in sharing advice on where to eat & drink. There is a car park at the rear but I found a spot on the front.

The room was very compact with a small shower room but its layout worked fine for me. The big let down was the bed. The base was not in great shape and the mattress was well past its best. Being the main event of a room, it was poor.

Breakfast was fantastic and I thought the service was first rate and friendly.

The hotel is on the high street so access to all the town facilities is a minute or two. The place was very quiet and even with that mattress I got a dec3nt nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 1Sheermadness
Tracey D, Owner at Fairlawn House, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are pleased you enjoyed our customer service and breakfast.

Sorry the bed was not up to standard. We are gradually replacing and updating the furniture in our rooms and we will ensure that we replace the bed in question as a priority. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Amesbury is a noisy place so something to consider when selecting a hotel as having the window open at night is not nnecessarily an option
The hotel was well located and clearly family run (human check-in closes at 10pm and check out was a small child who went off to get her mum)
The bar closes at 10 as well which was disappointing as I just wanted a couple of drinks to send me to sleep

All of this would have been manageable until I got into bed.

The tiny t.v. was a long way from the bed and the bed was so uncomfortable I ended up making myself a bed on the floor as I decided this was preferable to mattress springs in my back

Luckily the lovely big duvet was big enough to fashion a bed on the floor but unlucky for me it was a warm night and the big winter duvet was too hot and opening a window was not an option due to previously mentioned noise

because there doesn't appear to be anybody around after 10 I also wasn't able to phone and get some help.
So stay away from room 15 even if it is slightly cheaper- they aren't joking about the low beams, especially if you wanted a bath or shower as at 5.2 it wasn't easy and a shower meant sitting in the bath using the shower by hand (stand up shower not an option)

On the plus side the breakfast was great and made me feel a bit better after a sleepless night

I think hotels will always get away with charging what they like in Amesbury by nature of where they are but, my stay was not worth £70 and I wish I had stayed in the travellodge

• Stayed October 2013
Tracey D, Owner at Fairlawn House, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
We are a town centre establishment. Although it is rare, inevitably, there may be some external noise for time to time.
We are gradually replacing and updating the furnishings in our guest rooms. The bed in room 15 was brand new this year. The room is in constant use and we have not had any adverse feedback about the bed before. We even have some regulars who specifically ask for that room. Since your stay we have asked all guests in Room 15 about the bed. Only one person mentioned that it was a little uncomfortable but not bad enough to affect their stay. We can only assume that mattress comfort is a very personal thing and some people are more sensitive to it than others. We have fitted a memory foam mattress topper and will continue to monitor it.
Sorry you found the duvet too hot - again this is a very personal thing but we do supply fans in all rooms if guests are too hot.
The residents’ lounge and bar closes at 10 p.m. in order to minimise noise disruption to other guests. We do not have 24 our Reception but out-of-hours contact details are clearly provided in the guest information folder in the room and on the sign on the Reception counter.
We agree that, due to the size of the room, the TV can get a little lost so we will look into replacing it with a larger one.
The en-suite is an en-suite bathroom not a shower-room. Due to the sloping ceiling, there is a bath with a hand-held shower attachment which is useful for washing hair. It is not intended to be used as a stand-up shower.
This is our home as well as our business so our children (aged 10 and 14) are often around. They are used to interacting with guests politely and appropriately and most guests seem to like this. There is a bell on Reception and we are never more than 30 seconds away. Our daughter just happened to be using the Reception computer when you approached Reception to check-out.
We are pleased that you enjoyed breakfast – it really is a highlight of our service.
Once again, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations but we are confident that our pricing is consistent with and compares favourably to other accommodation providers in the town.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed with a group as we were visiting Stonehenge. The hotel was really easy to find from the bus station and I was impressed with the warm and very friendly welcome. My room was superb - I had a large family room so I had bags of space. It was clean and comfortable and relaxing and I had a brilliant sleep. I liked the lounge/ bar area to relax in with our group. The breakfast was delicious and I was Very impressed that the staff went the extra mile and helped us with breakfast picnics as we were going to the stones very early in the morning. It was such an enjoyable stay that I have already booked to come again next year!

Room Tip: Room 1 was a family room on the ground floor at the front of the building. I wasn't aware of tra...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
scotland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

What can I say but yet again thank you. Lovely room,comfy bed,fantastic reception and breakfast was so scrummy~ loved the scrambles eggs!See you next year~can I please have room nine again!Looking forward to returning next September.

Room Tip: I have been in two rooms up to now and both were excellent rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge
The Pembroke Arms Hotel
Cricket Field House
Cricket Field House
#2 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to Fairlawn House? Share your experiences!