“One to avoid.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Amesbury B&B and Inns
Shropshire
“One to avoid.”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed for 1 prebooked Friday night en-route to Lymington for the Wightlink ferry.
The hotel exterior is quite well maintained. Our bed linen was fresh & clean.The water was hot. The courtesy tray was well stocked. and the breakfast .though nondescript, was adequate.Otherwise The George has NOTHING to recommend it.
The interior decor is dingy,depressing and outdated. The fading,scuffed wallpaper which appears to have been applied when Victoria was 'on the throne' is grubby and peeling. The tatty paintwork has obviously not seen a brush for decades. Our room, faced the rear courtyard with a view across a flat roof festooned with extension leads, a ladder propped against the wall, discarded empty fast-food containers and assorted builders rubbish.
It had 3 wooden sash windows,(1 of which was permanently jammed shut,) rickety wooden wardrobes (one of which contained a mountain of black fluff plus miscellaneous bedding screwed into an untidy heap and an Over Bath Shower which was Unusable due to a large chunk of china missing from the bath exposing black layers of ceramic filler. .
The sleep quality was dismal,Even the effects of Mattresses so old that every spring could be felt, and a noisy kitchen extractor fan clearly audible until late paled into insignificance when the pounding bass from the Sports Bar Disco kicked off. This was soon overpowered when the door giving access to the outdoor smoking area was opened. The courtyard immediately filled with the sound of raucously squealing females and loud mouthed men screaming obscenities at each other.This continued until after 3am when it was replaced with revving car engines,blaring in-car audio equipment,slamming doors and screeching tyres as they left.
Our experience the George is without a doubt, one of the worst hotel we have ever stayed at..

Our triple bedded room was on the first floor another of the tired and worn-out hotels which can be found in towns and cities all over the U.K.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank t0wbar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lake Wales, Florida, United States
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stopped at the George in desperation, at the end of one of those long travel days when there wasn't a place to stay when you wanted to stop two hours earlier. We didn't expect much, and really didn't care. The available rooms were on the second floor, which we try to avoid because of the wife's bad knees and my back problem. We decided one flight of stairs was better than getting back in the car. Unfortunately, it was the first floor that was one floor up. The hotel, started as a 13th century coach house, is a little tired, despite remodeling. But our room was extremely quiet, the beds were good and the bathroom was fine. There was a very good breakfast, served with great speed. For 54 pounds, we had no complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This Hotel would be better described as A Pub with Rooms, or even a 'Coaching Inn' as the term Hotel generally suggests a better level of service. I usually find being asked to pay in advance for services I have not yet received is not usually a good thing, again not helped when told that I could have saved money if I had booked directly with the hotel. If Price is your main consideration, then this hotel may be for you, and the bed and bathroom were both clean. When visited the outside of the premises were undergoing a full repaint. It is to be hoped that they carry on with the refurbishment on the inside because it is certainly in need of a bit of an update and some T.L.C. Being on the first floor at the front of the building traffic noise from the High St below was a bit of a problem, as the windows was not double glazed, although the noise from the room next door was far worse, but this was not due to rowdy guests, the wall may as well have been made from paper as it certainly was not full of sound insulation. As soon as they put on their TV, I heard every word clearly, I first thought this was down to them watching it at high volume but I soon discovered that this was not the case when they turned it off as I could hear every word of their conversations and phone calls. It is not unknown for old building like this to have uneven floors, and some put this down as adding to the charm and character, maybe so, but in my room it was more unnerving and may come as an unpleasant surprise to the elderly or not so sure footed. The Evening Meal, can only be described as very basic pub food, when I first came down
the nights 'Special', some sort of curry, was already sitting on the hotplate and looked as though it had been there for some considerable time, I opted to go order of the menu instead, on the basis that at least it would be cooked fresh. It was hot and edible, although Ham Egg and Chips is not the most taxing meal for any kitchen. The Strawberry Trifle dessert was an education - it certainly taught me a lesson! I did not think anybody used tinned strawberries in the middle of August!!! it even came with an option of either custard, ice cream or cream and I foolishly opted for the latter, when it arrived it was covered with that horrible aerosol squirt cream so popular in the 80's and 90's - oh and a little jug of single cream - as requested!!!
Breakfast was ok, but not memorable in any way. When I checked out there were no staff present - why would there be , they already had my money! so I just popped my key in the letter box provided, I left only to find my car covered in wasps from a nearby nest, which maybe should have been removed.
Would I ever stay there again - No, not unless the inside is fully refurbished and the reviews considerably improve

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front and take ear plugs
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Amesbury hotels

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

We booked for one night (Friday). It's true the hotel is tired and a bit grubby and a really good deep clean wouldn't go amiss. That said the shower was hot, the bed was comfy and the breakfast more than sufficient to start the day, served piping hot and quickly. What spoilt our stay was the noise from downstairs in the bar. The beat from the disco bounced in our room and we were not directly above it either. The shouting and bad language from the revellers was soooo loud it made sleeping til 4am impossible.

• Stayed September 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I booked in for a Friday night after a business meeting and being ready to spend Saturday on Salisbury Plain.
I had read the reviews but still booked as it was a good price for a room in this area. Staff are enthusiastic amateurs so you make allowances. Good sized car park if you get there before the evening trade. Room was OK though I never did get to open a shower gel sachet! Breakfast is good if not spectacular. Two bars are efficient rather than comfy and not very welcoming. Restaurant lacks atmosphere so I ate at Weatherspoons just round the corner.
Overall very good value and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed here for one night recently having been unable to find accommodation anywhere else in the town, and not driving I didn't really have many options open to me.

I would rather have slept in a car if I had one - or possibly a park bench, which may have been cleaner and saved me money.

The room was disgustingly dirty. I don't think it had been vacuumed in weeks, if not months, the window didn't close properly, and there was a scaffold outside, the place was covered in cobwebs and given the ceiling was about 6inches above my head, it would have been perfectly possible for someone to reach these. On opening the curtains the next day, I found a moth - dead I thought, but obviously not as it had moved next time I looked.

Worse was to be found in the bathroom... Mould, cracked tiles in the shower, that I wasn't even going to try and use (decided it was a better option to wait until I could check into my usual hotel later in the day) when I even found cobwebs and grime by the side of the bathroom mirror.

I'm all for quirky, and old fashioned, but I at least expect something to be clean!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lac1983
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights whist working locally.
Check in was quick and painless. Shown to our rooms.
The rooms were basic but shower was Powerful and bed was comfy.
Breakfast was served quickly and was ample enough to get your day started.

This is an ideal place for workers like myself. Wouldn't suggest it for a romantic stay but for me it was good.

Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank joelthom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
The Antrobus Hotel
#3 of 16 in Salisbury
Fairlawn House
Fairlawn House
#1 of 3 in Amesbury

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!