“Not overpriced”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Amesbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. Room was a good size with en suite bath and shower with plenty of hot water at any time. The room itself however was not too clean and the bathroom paintwork and cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Bath needs to be renewed and the flaking ceiling too. Needs a good cleaner and decorators in the en suite. However, the staff were extremely friendly and the service in the dining room was good. Self service cereals, toast etc but cooked breakfasts were waitress service and adequate. The evening meal was not over priced and there was plenty of it, although the vegetables were "stewed" probably at 4 o/clock in the afternoon and were tasteless. There was plenty of tea and coffee provided with soap and shower gel too. Wi fi and television in all rooms but we missed a radio. Overall a pleasant stay in a lovely attractive old hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for George Hotel

Reviewed 22 June 2014

On the positive side, I liked the breakfast and the staff were friendly and helpful. But on the negative, the carpet in my room was filthy and obviously had not been vacuumed for sometime and there was mould on the shower ceiling. I could cope with this filth (although shouldn't have to for £60 a night), but what I found intolerable was the noisy drinkers sitting in the courtyard outside my window, which kept me awake until 2AM.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014

In the center of the town nearest to Stonehenge, the George Hotel is an attraction, itself. The whole place is quaint, but it provides everything the visitor needs: firm bed, good bathroom, tasty suppers, dark bar (no smoking!), off-street parking, and helpful friendly staff. In the middle of a long trip, we stayed two nights, to visit Stonehenge and to do laundry, etc. and relax. We're glad we did. No elevator.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rakkasan68
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Was visiting Stonehenge and needed a place to stay. Only 10 mins down the road in a nice little town called Amesbury.

In need of a lick of paint, but the staff and welcome were very good.

Try and get a room away from the main street, I stayed on a Friday night and the noise from drunken passers-by cold be heard well after 2am.

Breakfast was good, not massive, but enough. Overall it was adequate and not overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at he back of the hotel. See previous comments.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked into the George whilst visiting family in the area, previously we've used the Travelodge but it's just too isolated with only a Little Chef for entertainment hence trying the George. I've read the reviews so went there not expecting a lot.
We booked 2 rooms, one for us and one for my elderly parents. I asked the hotel for a quiet room for my parents (as there was a live band on) but I think that all rooms were equally affected by the volume, but the band in the hotel finished at 11.15pm so not a problem. My parent's room was very big and had the biggest bathroom I've seen in a similar hotel, it was really quite nice. Ours had a few resident cobwebs that look as if they've been there a while and it was on the corridor that links the 2 parts of the George, so we probably got a lot more noise at night than my parents did, from the "younger, karaoke" part of the pub, but it wasn't too much of a problem as we too can party with the best of them!
The room was a decent size, the bedding and floor were lovely and clean but the shower head was probably the most disgusting thing I've seen in a hotel room, ever. Maybe the cleaning staff need to be introduced to an anti-legionella cleaning programme.... On the plus side there were loads of toiletries if you forget anything.
Breakfast was lovely, the usual help yourself to drinks, cereal and toast, plus lots of very fresh fruit, then served by a cooked breakfast to order. We all had something different and we all enjoyed it.
The wifi doesn't work in the rooms.
For the price it's worth ignoring the cobwebs and maybe I'll take my own Calgon on my next visit to sort out the shower head. Will definitely stay again rather than paying so much more for the other local hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night on our way to London from Dorchester in order to go see Stonehenge. The location is ideal in the heart of Amesbury and only a 15 minute drive to Stonehenge. The staff was very friendly and we love Stuart. The hotel is definitely not a roach motel a but it is also not a Hilton.

I gave an average review due to the fact that the rooms were fairly small and definitely very outdated. That being said if you like an old style B & B with a traditional British style staying above a pub, then this place is perfect for you. It is very well priced in comparison to other hotels in the area and prefect for a night maybe two at most. The Wifi did not work on the upper floors making it really hard to do work as we were on a business trip.

If your not looking for too fancy and are not too fussy about great amenities, then this place is right for you.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is a quaint, old, little hotel in a very quiet town that was very close to Stonehenge. Very convenient. The people were nice, the breakfast was ok. The beds were not that great and our room had visible mold around the windows. I wanted to rate it a 3 but just couldn't. I'm giving it a 2 rating just because of the location. We got up and got done with Stonehenge before the rush started. That was worth it. One night here won't kill you, but I wouldn't do 2.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Travelodge Amesbury Stonehenge Hotel
Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
#8 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!