“Standard holiday inn with a captive market”

Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Amesbury
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Its the best place in the area (I think) and provides a reassuringly predictable experience. Clean, just enough space, essential amenities nearby, parking etc.... The front desk staff were notably helpful. My main criticism is, given that this hotel is geared to the business traveler, that the rooms do not have wifi - unbelievable in 2014! they still expect you to work online in the reception area.......never going to happen!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Mark S,

Further to your recent visit, I thank you for highlighting so many positives I am pleased to read your acknowledgment of the front desk team and our amenities. Noted your comments about Wi-Fi and I delighted to say we now have Wi-Fi in the bedrooms; so on your next visit I can offer you a first class experience.

If I can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Third visit to this hotel, and again very pleased. One little problem, the leg of the bed came off whilst we sat watching tv. But the hotel staff were very helpful, offered to fix the bed and offered complimentary drinks whilst they did the fix. Only one bit of advice to anyone booking this hotel, think its worthwhile spending that little bit extra for a executive suite as its much much nicer than the standard.

But full marks to the hotel staff, will visit again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Umair W,

Thank you for your response, we cannot wait to welcome you back for your fourth visit. I am sorry about the issue with the bed leg, these things are not meant to happen and I appreciate your patients whilst we repaired the matter.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Good points

The reception staff were very helpful and welcoming.
The rooms are of a high standard that you would come to expect from a 4 start Holiday Inn. I found the bed to be very comfortable.
Breakfast - run of the mill buffet full English. Filling, tasty enough - exactly what you'd expect

Bad points

Ordered a pint of diet pepsi from the bar. Very expensive (£3.60). Wasn't carbonated and I pointed this out to the barmaid. I was offered a bottle of "normal" pepsi (not really a suitable, given I'd ordered diet). She didn't appeared concerned and didn't offer to check the line, or my money back. Really gave the impression she couldn't be bothered. Which was fine - saved me the hassle of being "bothered" of eating in the restaurant in the evening...

No gym or pool!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear ITTravelling Guy,

Thank for taking the time to share your recent experiences of the hotel on Trip Advisor although I am pleased to read you enjoyed the majority of your time stay I am really sorry that there were some issues which have cast a shadow over your experience.

I am aware we recently had an issue with the Pepsi we serve in the bar; I am pleased to say this has now been rectified. Once it was highlighted that there was a problem with the carbonating of the soft drinks we quickly moved to serve only bottled soft drinks to avoid any further complication. More importantly I am sorry for the service you received from my colleague in the bar; this matter has been shared with the Hotel Operations Manager for investigation.

If I can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and I sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed over a weekend whilst racing at nearby Thruxton, and had a ground floor room. Modern bedroom with decent sized bathroom, very clean, bed on small side but comfy, with pillows of varying softness.
Good service on checking in and out, we also had an excellent meal in the hotel restaurant, with a varied menu and very high standards of cooking and service.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Jerry W,

I am delighted to read you chose to stay with us whilst competing at the recent Thruxton Event, I hope you achieved your personal target. The hotel makes the perfect resting point for the circuit being located just 5 miles away on the A303.

I am pleased to read you took the opportunity to dine in our Solstice Bar and Grill, this is certainly the best restaurant locally and I hope you found our menu to be full of mouth-watering delights. I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to the area.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel was what you can expect from a large hotel chain. The rooms are not very big but the things you need are there -apart from a fridge. Bed was comfy and the windows were double glazed, so there were no noise from outside. There are many fast-fodd chains, fuel and a Tesco next door, so there were plenty of alternatives to the hotels restaurant. You can also choose to go into town (with comfy shoes on, it will take you approx. 20 min to walk into the centre). There are many pubs in town and few restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Maja M,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor following your recent stay, great to read your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The walk or run to Amesbury is great way to work up an appetite, although there are a number of restaurant in the town there is no better place to dine than the Solstice Bar and Grill which is by far the best place in town. For those wanting to burn off some calories I highly recommend to run to the town and back, I do this a couple of times a week and it’s a good ignorance test on the way back running up the hill.

Our Executive Rooms come complete with a Mini Bar, however I am pleased to see you had all the comforts you expect from a good quality branded hotel. I am also pleased to highlight our windows are triple glazed providing additional sound proofing against the road outside.

Best wishes and I hope we can welcome you back shortly.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed with a 4 year old and a dog and arrived late after a long drive. We were checked into a huge room really quickly and easily and were able to park right outside the reception despite it being the school hols. We were a way out of the centre of Salisbury but it was really handy to have a supermarket and a coffee shop so close by (within walking distance). The hotel is on a new retail park type thing so I probably wouldn't recommend as a romantic getaway but it great to stay somewhere dog-friendly that was so nice.

Room Tip: We had a family room on the ground floor and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Nat W,

I am delighted to read your stay was free from any complication and you were straight into your bedroom with great efficiency. Believe it or not we are a popular destination for a romantic break, being on the fringes of Salisbury which is officially one the most romantic cities in the UK in addition to our great links to Stonehenge there is no better place to spend a romantic break for two.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Excellent location for overnight stop near A303, however as I was staying over the Easter period the massive construction project opposite was inactive. There is ample parking but not secure as barriers remained firmly in the up position, it was free through. The relatively new hotel share a site with a Co-op convenience store, pizza hut, mcDonalds, petrol station and KFC. However there are no private dwellings or houses nearby.
The hotel was very hot, it was cold outside and I could not work the remote controls for the heating and cooling and nor could another guest who asked for assistance.
There is a reasonable restaurant, all fairly casual and a limited menu, edible but not fine dining. Breakfast is a help yourself affair with everything under the sun and one can purchase a discount voucher the night before. The food was hot and plentiful, the sausages let it down as they we poor quality and rubbery.
The room was very clean and spare towels and toilet accessories were available. It was fair value for money and most of the staff appear to be from the local area, which was a bonus as they were friendly and helpful. Tipping does not go to your server, but is pooled and includes the management, which does not seem very fair!

Room Tip: Probably one at the far end as I heard car doors slamming and voices at 1 am
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear JockLondon_England,

Interesting review, overall I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantage of our award winning Solstice Bar and Grill for dinner and breakfast. The construction taking place over the road will be finished by the end of the year however the work is only done during office hours and with the hotel being triple glazed there has never been any disturbance to our guests from the project.

We have a great breakfast product which I am extremely confident to say is by far the best around, however I have noted your comments about the sausages which have been highlighted to the chef.

Reference Gratuities, yes these are pooled to all food and beverage employees including the chefs and kitchen porters who all play a part in serving the guest, however please rest assured these are not given to the hotel management team so sorry for any confusion that may have been portrayed.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Director.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Travelodge Amesbury Stonehenge Hotel
The Pembroke Arms Hotel
Milford Hall Hotel & Spa
Milford Hall Hotel & Spa
#7 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge? Share your experiences!