“Visit to Stonehenge”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Amesbury
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
“Visit to Stonehenge”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you are visiting Stonehenge this is the best place to stay & purchase your ticket to Stonehenge.
We had a lovely stay. We booked Room evening meal & Breakfast, The food was some of the best we have had with this type of deal. The staff couldn't do enough for us and we would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul G
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Paul G,

I am really pleased to see you had a great stay with us and thank you for taking the opportunity to dine in our award winning Solstice Bar & Grill which has developed a great reputation locally for use of mouth-watering home cooked classical dishes.

Our Stonehenge Package is a great way to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep in our modern furnished rooms, plus dinner and breakfast inclusive of entrance to the mythical structure that is Stonehenge.

Best wishes

Hotel Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Decided to stay here because our previous experiences of Holiday Inns has been extremely good. We drove down from Scotland on Sunday June1st, having booked the hotel some weeks before. We had no difficulty in finding the hotel which was the only plus point.
Check in at reception was over familiar with the receptionist on duty using only my christian name and not including the surname. We were told that we were being given an upgrade to a superior room, if this was a superior room then I dread to think what an ordinary room is like.
The bed was uncomfortable and hard to the extent that it bruised my wife's shoulder, neither of us got much sleep that night.
The restaurant and bar were clean and the staff helpful, but the food was disappointing, just wished we had not bothered but had walked the short ditance to the fast take-aways down the road.
A massive distribution centre is being built opposite and I guess this hotel will cater for the truck drivers when it opens.
Overall this hotel is more like a poor travel lodge than a prestigous Hoiday Inn.

Room Tip: Look for another Hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank burnsidenigel
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear burnsidenigel,

I am really disappointed to read your review of the hotel which demonstrates on this occasion a very disappointing stay.

As leader of the business I encourage my team always to use the guests name when in conversation, I apologise on this occasion if we were too familiar; I personally prefer being called by my first name as I find it more informal and it is nice that the team member has the confidence to address in this manor; however I certainly appreciate your concerns.

Bed comfort levels are always a personal choice and all I can comment here is the bed stock we use is approved by IHG and carries the Royal Crest. I am sorry to read your food was disappointing, I have asked my chef to address this with the kitchen team on duty on the 1st June; generally we are complimented for the level of cuisine we serve so I am saddened to read your comments on this occasion.

I sincerely hope this experience will not deter you from using other IHG properties and brands as we offer a really great product with distinguished service.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was forced to stay at this hotel because I couldn't get a room at my usual one. Much nearer to where I needed to be. Wasn't sure if it would suit, it's right along side the A303 within the new Soltice service area. What a nice experience it turned out to be. I had reserved and exec room which was at the high end of the budget at £175 inc plus breakfast. The welcome at reception was warm and everything was explained. Gave me the key and off I went to my room. Opened the door to an exceptional room - really exceptional. The whole wall was glass curving around and facing East. I'll say again, this was an exception room and will tempt me back. I stayed at the time of a major car race meeting at Thruxton and I would think this would definitely be the place if you were visiting there. A great nights sleep, no noise from the road or service area intruded, left me refreshed. I had a choice for breakfast but chose to eat here and again was not disappointed. Nice welcome, great staff and a great breakfast. As said the location doesn't fit well with my travels but where I normally pass by and stop fairly locally for breakfast, I asked if it was possible to stop here instead. Was told I'd be very welcome.
Almost forgot - good wi-fi

Room Tip: If the cost is acceptable try the exec rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MarcS441, General Manager at Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Mike E,

I am really pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and better still this was as a result that you could not get into your first choice hotel. Thruxton weekends are peak time for us, so note your rate was on the high side, however outside on an event you are certainly likely to pick-up a more competitive rate.

I am note your excellent comments on our restaurant/breakfast, Executive Room and the welcome my team provided, I am extremely lucky to have a top notch team who offer a truly first class service which is often reflected on by my guests.

As a regular visitor to the area we cannot wait to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We often come to Salisbury and on this occasion stayed at the Holiday Inn Stonehenge .was clean and bright and had a very modern feel to it.without a car possibly not as easy to get to. Fortunately we had hired a car .Salisbury a short drive away and a lovely town to visit. Very much worth the stay !

• Stayed July 2013
Dear TandG Getaway,

Thank you for sharing your excellent comments following your recent stay; it is great to read you had a good stay with us. Not only are we close to Salisbury but also so many wonderful sites and attractions in Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset; not to mention Stonehenge.

We cannot wait to welcome you back for another great stay.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

On entering the area where the hotel was situated, my heart sank. All the usual crummy chain burger/coffee joints/ restaurants built into tin sheds. The hotel is also in a tin shed, but once inside it looks quite acceptable.
My first impression was that the staff were extremely helpful. I was there for 5 nights, and this impression of the staff was fortified every day. Nothing was too much trouble. Even if you didn't ask for something, if you looked like you needed help. you were asked. I can't praise the staff too highly - full marks.
Then the food. Very good. Not Cordon Bleu but we weren't paying Cordon Bleu prices. It was very good, the restaurant staff were excellent and helpful and worked very hard. We were part of a coach party, and had a 'Gala Dinner' on the final night. Now that food was very near Cordon Bleu standards. The lamb steaks were cooked to perfection, and tasted delicious. Wine prices were fair, and we repaid the favour by having a bottle each night.
The bar was OK. As a 'real ale' fan, I was disappointed not to see a local real ale on draught, but at least there was a bottled beer from the local Stonehenge brewery.
Longer term, I would worry about a Distribution Depot being built nearby. (another tin box) and wonder if this will cause a lot of traffic noise at night.
The only little thing stopping me giving 5 starts were the showers in the rooms. Although ours was not too bad, the 'volume' lever was loose and rattled around in the fitting. Many other members of our party had other problems with the shower fitting, ranging from temperature to volume to loose controls. Can I suggest a sweep through the rooms to ensure that these controls are all tightened up, and maybe some Loctite or similar thread locker applied to the threads of the actual levers on both showers and basin taps?
Still, all in all, very good. Would certainly go there again, and confidently recommend it to anyone. Again, full marks to all the helpful staff, I have never been so well served in an hotel as I was here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Keith S,

It was truly a pleasure playing host to your group from Cheltenham; all of your fellow holiday makers were so respectful and appreciative of everything we did at the hotel. I am extremely lucky to have such a dedicated team who are passionate for the hotel and more importantly our guests which in the vast majority of cases results in feedback such as yours.

I have noted comments on the showers and yes we have a continuous maintenance programme to ensure they are working correctly; however I have spoken with my maintenance team to request they have a “sweep” to ensure any issues are rectified prior to the arrival of future guests.

Keith, thank you for such a detailed response, I really hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon; rest assured the hotel is fully sound proofed so you will not get any disturbance from the new site across the road.

Best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay to visit Stonehenge. The staff are an asset to the hotel. Although it was expensive it was worth the money. I liked all the art work around the hotel including in our room. The room was spacious and quiet. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Shim28,

It is a real treat to read your short warming review of the hotel, it is great to see you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Orange, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here because we had early morning tickets to the Stonehenge monument. This hotel was perfect for that. We had a slightly bigger executive room, which I think justified the extra cost. Wifi only in the lounge. Restaurant was average, but there is fast food and midrange eateries within very easy walking distance.
Checkout was at 11am, so we could come back, eat breakfast and shower before we left.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10071stevep
10071stevep,

The hotel benefits from a great location and offers 21st century facilities next to our pre-historic neighbour. Although a little late for your visit I am delighted to say that since your stay we now have Wi-Fi in the bedrooms which is a great addition to the hotel.

You could have benefited from an additional hour in the room as checkout is not till 12noon. I really hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
Travelodge Amesbury Stonehenge Hotel
The Pembroke Arms Hotel
Cricket Field House
Cricket Field House
#2 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge? Share your experiences!