“Lovely room, service average”

Bowood Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Calne
Lincoln
“Lovely room, service average”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed at the Bowood hotel for 4 nights during xmas and new year. The room was very nice, but the put up bed for my daughter was very uncomfortable so she had to sleep on the sofa for the 4 nights. We paid for Bed and breakfast and evening meal at the brassierie. Unfortunately as the menu was very limited and did not change at the brassierie we only chose to eat in the restaurant for 2 nights but found 2 lovely pubs nearby!!!.

We used the swimming pool which was ok but felt as my daughter was under 16 we could only use the pool at limited times which was then very busy with younger children and she is a very good swimmer and could not do any lengths. Did ask the staff (she is a very well behaved 13 year old) but they seemed not very interested in helping just said they were the rules.

I was a little bit disappointed as I had been really looking forward to staying at the Bowood as a treat for my husband and daughter for Xmas.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for your review. We do have set rules in place with regards to Children using the pool for Health and Safety reasons, so I apologise that you found these difficult to work with. We do have a variety of dishes on our Brasserie menu, and are happy to put different touches to our standard meals for you to always have a choice, so please when you return please do ask.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Stayed here between Xmas and New Year as part of a large group. The room was lovely, with some nice little touches including freshly baked cookies provided each day. The spa and the communal areas were also lovely, with open fires and christmas decorations.

However, we ate in the main restaurant on the first evening and the service was EXTREMELY slow despite the fact we were eating at 9pm and there were not many other people around, the food was also rather expensive and the portions small. I felt that as we were a large group that were spending a lot of money to stay there for 2 nights and have a private meal on the second evening, we would have been given a higher priority than we were. We ordered some bread and olives on the second day, which took at least 20 minutes to arrive, even the bar staff couldn't believe it as they had to chase a number of times.

I used the spa whilst I was there, and that was great - very nice and quiet during the day. During the times that kids were allowed it, it was VERY busy and to be avoided if you are looking for relaxation! The private meal, as previously mentioned, was held in a room in the conference building, a couple of minutes walk from the main hotel. The food was extremely nice and the service was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrea C
We do like the extra touches that we offer, the delicious freshly baked cookies in your room are wonderful (bit difficult to avoid first thing in the morning when the smell is seeping out of the kitchen!) We will look into the service issues that you received in our main restaurant, but seems like you enjoyed the spa and the private meal. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Spent my birthday here recently and although first impressions were promising, the service from spa staff really let the hotel down. I was really impressed with the attention to detail on arrival which has obviously come from higher management however to name a few of the problems we encountered in regards to service: left waiting to order whilst staff stood around chatting, waited almost an hour for breakfast and when approached staff the first time to say I had been waiting for over half an hour (knew exactly what time we ordered food as was the same time as friend went in for treatment) instead of apologising, staff looked at clock and told me it had only been 15 minutes and that food would be another 5 or 10 minutes, it arrived another 25 minutes later. Was given the breakfast for free after asking rather than staff taking the initiative. Again with lunch, left waiting for side order which arrived after we finished our meal and gave us one when we ordered two. On leaving was told we wouldn't be able to have an itemised bill and was instead offer a VAT receipt which is surprising for a hotel spa. I can understand that mistakes are made and things do go wrong sometimes but the unapologetic attitude from staff was the deciding factor in my choice to not return in the future nor reccommend this to my colleague who was looking to establish a working relationship with the spa. Really disappointed this happened on my birthday.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank LailaH1
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Bowood and that you experienced some issues with our service. I have spoken to all those involved in your stay and can assure you that this would not happen again. Please do come and try us out in the future, we would love you to experience the true Bowood.
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed here between Xmas and New Year for my husband's birthday...on arrival the staff were polite and professional, accomodating me by hiding banners and balloons from my husband and then decorating around our table with them to surprise him.

We had a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel...it was superb, luxurious and spotless. There was an ipod docking station and even home made biscuits in a tin in the bedroom and robes and slippers in the sumptuous bathroom.

We were booked in the AA Shelbourne restaurant that night.....oh my word the food was the best we have eaten in years. Service was excellent with just the right amount of 'chat' from all the staff. The atmosphere was excellent and we sat at the table until 11.30pm, so relaxed and full....

We used the gym - what a view, golf academy and spa and all were fantastic.

Thanks for making my husband's birthday so memorable...what am I going to have to do to top it!!!

We will definitely go again - my birthday is in April - hint hint.

Highly recommend this to anyone.

Thanks all staff at Bowood House, especially Kamil the chef for that wonderful meal.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have amazing views.....
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne E
Thank you for your great review. I am happy that you managed to experience all the different facilities that we have. When you return you will need to visit Bowood House and Gardens then you will have ticked all the boxes! Thank you again for your great review and we hope to welcome you back again soon for your birthday in April.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a one night break before Christmas. I have to say this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in and I would definitely come back.
On the plus side the room was very tastefully decorated, the bed very comfy and the bathroom was really smart. We loved the complimentary robes and slippers. My wife and I tried the spa and pool, again this was all very good.
The only slight downside was that my beloved football team were playing so we asked the lady on reception if they would be showing it, she said yes and told us to go watch it in the brasserie. So off I went to the brasserie to be told that they didnt have sky, I asked them to double check but got the impression they werent interested. I have to say the staff at the brasserie were abit unfriendly as I was kind of in the way due to them expecting a large Christmas party to start arriving any minute. I understand their situation, but because of this can only give 4 out of 5. It really didnt ruin my weekend tho as we went and found a nice pub down the road, and my team won 4-0! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!
In short I highly recommend this hotel, the whole place exudes quality and is in a picturesque, charming part of the world. Just dont try to watch ESPN football matches in the brasserie!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Glad to hear that your team won, and for your great comments about our setting, we do indeed have a picturesque setting, nestled in the Bowood Estate. I do apologise for the service you received in our Brasserie and this has been mentioned to our Food and Beverage Manager. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed in the hotel and used the spa facilities, we were in a group of ten for a hen party, staff really were great, offering help and great customer service.
The rooms are modern, fresh and clean & nice size and bathrooms are stylish.
The spa was really nice and I had a wonderful back massage, which was reasonably priced.
Dinner menu was bit complicated and presentation of food was beautiful, (I didn't really like my venison tho, tasted like liver??)
Will definitely recommend friends to stay there and I will be taking hubby there during the summer.
Thanks for a lovely break bowood!

• Stayed January 2013
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Thank you for finding the time to write a review on Bowood. Congratulations to the hen and I am glad that you all had a great time. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the summer.
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. The surroundings are absolutely lovely and the interior is very plush. Our room was massive, despite being a standard, and I've never stayed in such a quiet hotel. The staff throughout were wonderful and can't be faulted for professionalism or friendliness. The restaurant was excellent as well - lovely surroundings to enjoy a top quality meal. The drinks aren't especially cheap but you wouldn't expect them to be.
The reason for our visit was to go to the spa, which was exceptional. The pool/sauna/steam room area was great with lovely views from the pool. The treatments were wonderful as well.
Overall the place was spotless, quiet, relaxing, and everything from the tea in the rooms to the spa was absolutely top quality. All the staff do a first class job and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: As far as we could tell all the rooms appeared to be of roughly equal size and since there are no ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are spoilt with such a great location, in the middle of Bowood Estate so no noisy cars or people walking past. I will pass your comments onto the team here. I will show your review to our spa team who will be delighted to read your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
Beechfield House
Blunsdon House Hotel, BW Premier Collection
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne

Been to Bowood Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!